Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Texium: Now in Blog Form
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 27-12-2016 at 18:19
Texium: Now in Blog Form

So I decided that I don't really like making videos. All that editing and voiceover takes longer to do than the actual chemistry, and the final product isn't that good since my editing skills are meh and I'm not the best speaker. And trying to work around a video camera is annoying and distracts me from what I'm doing. Despite this, I still like sharing my experiments with everyone and would like to have them all in once place, not just scattered across Sciencemadness threads. I decided that the best solution was to make a blog, so here it is:

https://texium.wordpress.com/

Still a work in progress of course, but I already have a few posts since I had a lot of lab time today. I really like it so far, because I feel like I can post things that wouldn't be significant enough to go to the trouble of making a video, and I can still document everything using lots of pictures.

I have one more video that I'm almost done editing (2-methyl-2-octanol by the Grignard reaction) and I may still release that on my channel. Otherwise, I'm probably not going to release any more fully produced videos.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Velzee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Taking it easy

[*] posted on 27-12-2016 at 18:36

Nice! I look forward to your next work.

Check out the ScienceMadness Wiki: http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Main_Page

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
—Arthur Schopenhauer

"¡Vivá Cristo Rey!"
—Saint José Sánchez del Río
chemplayer...
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-12-2016 at 19:19

Thanks for posting. Neat website, and a great idea.

We wondered whether or not to run a parallel site which was 'Chem tumblr' or something like that. Lots of pictures and short gif animations in sequence, some quick text explaining what's going on. A kind of 'bite sized' quick hit version of the YT channel. Still think it would be a great format to try out. Time alas...

Watch some vintage ChemPlayer: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/chemplayer/
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 27-12-2016 at 19:29

Ahh. Disappointed. :(
I really enjoyed the beginnings of your channel. And I like video format for chemistry -- I think I learn a lot from watching a process that I might not get from stills.
But I do understand your reasoning. I will drop into the blog and take a look.

By way of comparison -- MrHomeScientist had both a blog and YT channel and appears to have struggled to keep them both rolling along. LanthanumK had a nice Chemistry blog including a systematic presentation of all of the elements. I haven't visited for some time since it does not pass through the net filter on my work laptop.

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 27-12-2016 at 19:44

Sorry j_sum, though I would like to continue the YouTube channel someday! Currently I just don't have enough time to do chemistry AND learn how to edit videos as well. The less formal nature of the blog format suits me better right now.

It would be great to have a ChemPlayer-like setup where I'd have a partner who is better at video production than I am so that I could focus on the chemistry. Maybe it'll happen someday.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-12-2016 at 21:43

Making videos is definitely a lot of work. I've shot several... I edited one on how to make calcium carbonate and then couldn't get the intro to resize properly to fit with the rest of it... I don't see how to fix the problem without redoing the entire edit.

Go To Top