Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Magnesium Powder?
Meltonium
Hazard to Self

Mood: Fluorinated

[*] posted on 1-1-2017 at 16:06
Magnesium Powder?

Hello, just asking for advice pertaining to the two, 30g magnesium firestarter bars and how to get them into powder/shavings easily. I was using a knife to make shavings but that was exhausting so I switched to my dremmel to grind away the bar into powder, but that was taking forever! I decided to make a special knife to make shavings and it works well, but I think it would still take over an hour to get at least 1 gram of shavings.

What are your experiences with this problem?

Note: I have magnesium ribbon, but I am running out and these bars were fairly cheap on Amazon.
Deathunter88
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-1-2017 at 19:24

You can use a drill to drill holes into the magnesium block to produce coarse turnings.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-1-2017 at 19:34

As eBay.uk has 50g magnesium turnings for £3.5, 200g for £8 (inc. p&p) I would not bother with the effort :D
Mg is not that expensive as reagents go.

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 2-1-2017 at 18:49

Before there was spherical/spheroidal "blown" Mg powders, "cut" Mg powder for pyrotechnic use was sometimes made by running bars of Mg against steel wire wheels similar to those now used by welders and others for stripping paint from steel and cleaning welds.

Mg powder is a pain to make mechanically by drilling/sawing, etc.

Long ago I got a chunk of Mg plate from a scrap yard and wore out several SawzAll blades to get a very coarse saw chip Mg powder. Would not do this again, far too much work and cost for a little material.

If you are in USA, Skylighter can sell (and ship) a mixed Mg powder that contains scrap material from industrial Mg machining proceses.

http://www.skylighter.com/mall/chemicals.asp?Sort=M

[Edited on 3-1-2017 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Go To Top