Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How stable is TEMPO to heat?
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 4-1-2017 at 07:15
How stable is TEMPO to heat?

Over the summer for a few days I stored some TEMPO in my shed while I was cleaning up the garage. It was pretty hot and melted the TEMPO into a solid mass. It has a lower MP, so it is expected.

What is the likelyhood that it has decomposed? It had a dark color reddish color to begin with, so not easy just with a visual inspection.
Eddygp
National Hazard

Mood: Organometallic

[*] posted on 4-1-2017 at 08:41

There is a flash point recorded in SigmaAldrich MSDS at 67ºC so probably fine - maybe a very small percentage has decomposed but I wouldn't worry too much.

(either way it will be used in catalytic amounts :P )

[Edited on 4-1-2017 by Eddygp]

there may be bugs in gfind

[ˌɛdidʒiˈpiː] IPA pronunciation for my Username
DrP
National Hazard

Mood: exothermic

[*] posted on 4-1-2017 at 08:45

I would guess that it is fine also... it is a 'stable' free radical... I used to use it a long time ago and ran reactions with it at about 120C. Although I stored it in the fridge. It is not like the older BPO which decomposed at 40C or so - it is relatively stable.

I would do a small scale test by polymerising some styrene with it at a controlled concentration to see if you get the right MW out of it before doing any serious work.

\"It\'s a man\'s obligation to stick his boneration in a women\'s separation; this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation\" - Eric Cartman

Go To Top