Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  20
Author: Subject: latest glassware purchase
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-3-2017 at 05:41

It looks like it's one of these:

http://matest.com/en/Products/bitumen-asphalt/BINDER-EXTRACT...

Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 31-3-2017 at 05:54

Close, but not exactly the same! I found this site where they call it a "Soxhlet de Knofer-Bohm" - though that's also the only hit when googling "Knofer-Bohm extractor".

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-3-2017 at 06:07

Ok, whatever. I'm not sure your condenser is even a Dimroth :)

Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 31-3-2017 at 06:14

It's a jacketed Dimroth ;) EDIT: Fuck, of course it's not! My head just went on autopilot caused by the crowded hose connections, but the coil itself is terminated at top and bottom - so it's just a plain old jacketed coil condenser (or whatever).

This means that I still have an excuse to buy a Dimroth condenser! YES!

[Edited on 31-3-2017 by Lambda-Eyde]

[Edited on 31-3-2017 by Lambda-Eyde]

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 31-3-2017 at 07:01

From the Soxhlet extractor Wikipedia page:

"Very similar to the Soxhlet extractor, the Kumagawa extractor has a specific design where the thimble holder/chamber is directly suspended inside the solvent flask (having a vertical large opening) above the boiling solvent. The thimble is surrounded by hot solvent vapour and maintained at a higher temperature compared to the Soxhlet extractor, thus allowing better extraction for compounds with higher melting points such as bitumen. The removable holder/chamber is fitted with a small siphon side arm and, in the same way as for Soxhlet, a vertical condenser ensures that the solvent drips back down into the chamber which is automatically emptied at every cycle."

Sounds like what you have is a Kumagawa extractor.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 31-3-2017 at 11:37

I just unboxed a nice set of 14/20 glassware that I was quite excited to receive. I purchased it from another member here (this thread). I'm especially excited about the calcium chloride tube and the larger flasks, because previously my largest 14/20 flask was 100 mL. Also I'll happily endorse sternman318 as a fair and reputable seller, though it seems unlikely he'll be selling more stuff.

IMG_3216.JPG - 2.3MB

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-3-2017 at 11:53

That looks like a pretty nice set.

CharlieA
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-4-2017 at 15:55

Not a purchase but my wife found these in an antique/resell it shop, for my recent birthday. From left to right: 125 mL Florence flask; 300 mL "fleaker"; 1L 3-neck RBF. Now I can't wait for my next birthday!:D

IMG_20170310_084811.jpg - 57kB
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-4-2017 at 17:17

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
I just unboxed a nice set of 14/20 glassware that I was quite excited to receive. I purchased it from another member here

That looks very familiar, I think he got it from me originally, or it looks a lot like one of the sets I sold. If you need more 14/20 flasks or adapters, let me know, I have lots still. Also have some nice Deak Stark adapters and p e addition funnels in 14/20 that would go well with it. Happy experimenting.
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 3-4-2017 at 17:51

Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  
Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
I just unboxed a nice set of 14/20 glassware that I was quite excited to receive. I purchased it from another member here

That looks very familiar, I think he got it from me originally, or it looks a lot like one of the sets I sold. If you need more 14/20 flasks or adapters, let me know, I have lots still. Also have some nice Deak Stark adapters and p e addition funnels in 14/20 that would go well with it. Happy experimenting.
Haha, I figured that it probably came from you. I've bought from you before and this stuff looked nearly identical (same brands and same apparent age). Now it's been reunited!

I think that Dr. Bob's glassware will sort of cycle around our community for years to come as people enter and leave the hobby.

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 3-4-2017 at 17:56

Quote: Originally posted by CharlieA  
Not a purchase but my wife found these in an antique/resell it shop, for my recent birthday. From left to right: 125 mL Florence flask; 300 mL "fleaker"; 1L 3-neck RBF. Now I can't wait for my next birthday!:D

Wow, real RBF's at an antique shop, a very nice find indeed. I never thought to check out the ones around town, but I'll have to do that now. I don't have my hopes up since most jointware is technically illegal to sell in Texas without a permit, and I doubt antique stores would go to that trouble. They could easily be ignorant of the law though, in which case I'd happily relieve them of their contraband!

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-4-2017 at 20:51

I picked up some quality items from Dr. Bob. This is my third order, and until now I've mostly bought storage containers, but today I received this nice 14/10 coil condenser, in addition to some other microscale glassware and accessories, as well as storage containers with PTFE-lined caps.

IMG_20170410_204135[1].jpg - 431kB

IMG_20170410_204822.jpg - 371kB

[Edited on 11-4-2017 by JJay]

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-4-2017 at 14:21

There has been an almost conspicuous lack of weird vehicles parked in front of my residence lately.

IMG_20170414_141320.jpg - 423kB

[Edited on 15-4-2017 by JJay]

tsathoggua1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Phosphorescent

[*] posted on 17-4-2017 at 03:53

sine carbon rods for use as electrodes, a pair of iron crucibles, a pair of nickel plated ones, and one solid nickel crucible, not cheap though. Will likely plate the Fe cricibles and a large graphite crucible, and while they haven't yet arrived, a lot of 50 test tubes.
tsathoggua1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Phosphorescent

[*] posted on 17-4-2017 at 04:43

Need to replace a small sep finnel as well, went to use it and found my old man mus have broken it, a crystallization fish broke (and lost my produc as well, thankfully I was heating it on one of those mesh screens imoregnatired wotj some srt of refractory, and the temp was just at the bP of EEtOH/.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 17-4-2017 at 14:27

I had another short-path condenser arrive this morning. This is number three.
I bought one before Christmas and it arrived with a broken stem. I complained and they sent a replacement which arrived intact.
I presume this is a second replacement sent by mistake; because I didn't order one.

Unfortunately, #3 also arrived with a broken stem.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-4-2017 at 22:58

I have been thinking about trimming down the stem on my short path apparatus. I like that it has a stem; the stem is just too long to use with 50 and 100 mL flasks.

Today I bought some 500 mL bottles. The caps on these are probably not suitable for chlorinated solvents, but I think they're OK with alcohols and they're probably OK with most acids.

I also ordered some 4L jugs.

IMG_20170419_222914[1].jpg - 446kB

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-4-2017 at 12:46

I *finally* received an intact steam distillation receiver! On a scale from 1 to awesome, this is definitely an 11.

IMG_20170422_123907[1].jpg - 544kB

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 22-4-2017 at 15:59

You know, JJay, we should compare notes. I get the feeling that your glass collection looks a lot like mine. Right down to the packaging paper.
But I am going to call mine a Dean Stark even if that is not entirely correct.
Haven't used it yet but at some stage will dehydrate some oxalic acid in toluene.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-4-2017 at 17:14

It's awfully similar to a Dean Stark trap. I have a more formal Dean Stark trap with a smaller receiver (it actually has graduations, although I am sure the measurements are approximate). I was kind of planning on using that one for applications that actually require a Dean Stark trap and using this one for steam distillation. I do wonder, though, whether it is better to have a large receiver or a small one for removing water from reactions....

[Edited on 23-4-2017 by JJay]

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-4-2017 at 08:50

I am hoping I won't regret this.

s-l1600 (5).jpg - 136kB

anewsoul
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-4-2017 at 09:02

Guess you decided you need one after all the filtering you must've done processing the chromium waste?
alking
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-4-2017 at 09:08

Why do you think you would regret that? Why the slotted over a fritted funnel? Frits are kind of a pain to clean, but otherwise I prefer them.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-4-2017 at 09:35

Why would I regret it? The seller is HONG KONG YEE CHEN TECHNOLOGY LIMITED. I've bought quite a few pieces off them though rarely on purpose... quality is usually low and about 50% arrived broken. Most recently, they delivered my essential oil distillation receiver broken twice and then tried to haggle over the refund.

I'd like to get a large fritted one too, but my 350 mL fritted funnel is usually adequate for the things I filter through it. My tiny plastic Buchner funnel is nowhere near large enough for filtering large volumes of solutions mixed with stuff like calcium sulfate, which is virtually impossible to clean off of a frit.

Geocachmaster
Hazard to Others

Mood: Corroded, just like my spatulas

[*] posted on 25-4-2017 at 10:22

There are several sellers like that, all have the glassware on a black background and know nothing about the product. I bought my short path condenser from "ynaan," it was packaged extremely poorly and broke. I contacted them and asked for a replacement. They basically responded with "we won't ship one because it will break again." Why they even bother selling something that will break because they can't package it properly?! They also only wanted to refund me $10 when I payed $20. After something like a week they agreed to a full refund. I currently try to get most of my glassware from Laboy. It's not Chemglass or Pyrex but it is much higher quality than the cheap eBay sellers like ynaan.

Deschem is a pretty good Chinese seller, they use so much packaging it is almost impossible to unpack. Nevertheless I've never had a broken item.
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  20

Go To Top