Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  13    15    17  ..  20
Author: Subject: latest glassware purchase
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 7-5-2020 at 01:40

Quote: Originally posted by B(a)P  
Yesterday I took delivery of a distillation kit, which included a 3 neck RBF. Unfortunately the 3 neck RBF showed up in about 50 pieces. I immediately got in touch with the seller, but I have had no response so far. I will give them till the end of the weekend otherwise I will name and shame. Either way I will let everyone know of the outcome.

The seller could not replace the broken item, which is a shame because that was of most interest to me. They did however provide a partial refund that I was happy with. I am not so happy that I would advertise their products and not so unhappy that I would condemn their products, but if you want more info PM and I would be more than happy to provide it. All in all not much to tell though.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 21-5-2020 at 23:50

OK so not glassware but here seemed the best place to post it.

Fresh out of box:

2020-05-22 17.32.30.jpg - 2.3MB

This has been a long-overdue acquisition. Ceramic top. Rated to 550°C. Good sturdy construction. Hours of productive fun await.

And for those interested:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-magnetic-stirrer-high-temp-c...
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-5-2020 at 04:35

Although I recently bought a 24/40 '1000ml distillation kit' I came across this;
https://www.lazada.com.my/products/1000ml2429distillation-ap...
Due to the price I could not resist buying it.
Converted that is USD8.02
but after discount vouchers etc. the actual cost was USD6.29 incl. p&p

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
morganbw
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-5-2020 at 15:05

Are you still in the area of the Blue Mosque.
I was there for some weeks, work related but still ingrained in my mind.
Draeger
Hazard to Others

Mood: Slowly getting ready for new projects

[*] posted on 23-6-2020 at 16:22

Not glassware, but following the reasoning of j_sum1. Finally ordered a hot plate stirrer. It's a cheap Chinese one, but it's all I can afford. Just have to hope it stirs and heats as well as it says in the description and that it won't blow up. I'll post a picture once it gets here. If all goes well the days of me unprofessionally and uneffectively swirling around beakers will soon be over. :D

Collected elements:
Al, Cu, Ga, C (coal), S, Zn, Na

Collected compounds:

Inorganic:
NaOH; NaHCO3; MnCl2; MnCO3; CuSO4; FeSO4; aq. 30-33% HCl; aq. NaClO; aq. 9,5% ammonia; aq. 94-96% H2SO4; aq. 3% H2O2

Organic:
citric acid, sodium acetate, sodium citrate, petroleum, mineral oil
ekilsawkcalbeoj
Harmless

Mood: Energized Blob

[*] posted on 26-6-2020 at 09:12
New Rotavapor with custom glassware!

About a month ago I got a steal of a deal on a Buchi Rotavapor R-200 on eBay.

Unfortunately, the seller didn't package the glassware appropriately and wrapped it in some bubble wrap and placed it in the same box as the heavy base unit. The receiver flask, the condenser, and the end catch assembly were DOA.

Honestly, most of the value was it being a complete package with really interesting, high-quality glassware, so it was a huge disappointment. Luckily the package was insured by FedEx, so he's either going to reimburse me out of that, or refund most of what I paid because of the damage.

I reached out to Adams & Chittenden who said the receiver should be a very routine repair, so should have that back in a month. I then acquired a new condenser, receiver flask, a few new evaporation flasks, and a Woulff bottle (still waiting on that). Here's what it looks like with the replacement parts and some cleaning

I'm really excited to get the fixed receiver flask back. I believe it's 2000ml and I'm not really sure the purpose of the valve on top and the vent on the side. I suspect it's for emptying the receiver without losing vacuum? I haven't been able to find anything else like it to even compare.

I also really like the 2L evaporation flask, it was new in box from a guy who bought out all the old surplus from when Brinkmann was the sole US distributor. The neck on it has an ID of 34mm, same as the steam duct, and it attaches directly to the steam duct, bypassing the adapter while shortening and widening the distillation path for higher boiling point solvents. I wish I could find more like that in different sizes and it makes me sad that Buchi stopped producing them long ago!

Now I'm trying to address the missing base plate insert for the heating bath, the broken end catch, and the lift mechanism. After many a conversation and back and forth with the Buchi technicians, I managed to social engineer several chapters of their official service manual as well as internal repair protocol documents for specific repairs. Those have been a huge help! I think I may just have to buy a new base unit since none of the parts I need are made anymore... I may just get a R-205 while I'm at it too.

Thanks,

Joe

[Edited on 6/26/2020 by ekilsawkcalbeoj]

Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 26-6-2020 at 11:30

bro, use smaller images, they fuck up the page

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
ekilsawkcalbeoj
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-6-2020 at 12:32

Quote: Originally posted by Ubya  

Will do, sorry new here!
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 26-6-2020 at 14:51

Quote: Originally posted by ekilsawkcalbeoj  

Will do, sorry new here!

you were really lucky to get an entire unit for cheap, it was sad to hear that pretty much all the glassware was broken. How much were all the repairs?

feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
ekilsawkcalbeoj
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-6-2020 at 16:13

Quote: Originally posted by ekilsawkcalbeoj  

Will do, sorry new here!

you were really lucky to get an entire unit for cheap, it was sad to hear that pretty much all the glassware was broken. How much were all the repairs?

I was definitely lucky, especially with the cool receiver. The receiver is fixable and is currently being fixed for about $125. The glass assembly was not, and a replacement cost me about $380. The broken end catch isn't fixable, the glitchy lift is and I was given some dope service documents by a cool Buchi Service Engineer I know, but tbh I'm scared to mess with the tension rod that's holding everything up. The tension rod on my unit doesn't have the screw which is used to adjust the tension. For this reason, I'm thinking it was a third-party repair and can't be adjusted without destroying the part itself.

I'm negotiating down the price with someone who has a very well maintained base unit, and it's looking to be about $325. It pretty much adds up to exactly what the package was insured for, just waiting for FedEx to pay up.
Eddie Current
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 28-6-2020 at 14:15

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
OK so not glassware but here seemed the best place to post it.

Fresh out of box:

This has been a long-overdue acquisition. Ceramic top. Rated to 550°C. Good sturdy construction. Hours of productive fun await.

And for those interested:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-magnetic-stirrer-high-temp-c...

How do you rate the performance?

Does it hit the max temperature, and what is the temperature stability like?
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 29-6-2020 at 02:02

In all honesty I have not pushed it yet. Recovery from busted pelvis, catching up with work and family commitments have all kept me out of the lab to a certain degree. Stirring works a charm and it certainly heats up quickly but I have not got anywhere near its limits on either function. I guess that is a very positive sign.
Draeger
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-7-2020 at 03:55

Quote: Originally posted by Draeger  
Not glassware, but following the reasoning of j_sum1. Finally ordered a hot plate stirrer. It's a cheap Chinese one, but it's all I can afford. Just have to hope it stirs and heats as well as it says in the description and that it won't blow up. I'll post a picture once it gets here. If all goes well the days of me unprofessionally and uneffectively swirling around beakers will soon be over. :D

The stirrer is here.

It came with a broken plug because it was badly packaged. Luckily my father had a spare and is good at soldering so he just attached a new one. Except for that everything was alright.

Stirring works quite well as far as I can tell. Definitely enough for my purposes, at least so far. On fast speed it often splatters, though. Is that normal?

Heating is worse. It takes a while to get to the boiling point of water on half heat and it isn't insulated so the entire device heats up. I'll add some insulation at some point.

I'm unsure what the contraption next to the plate is for. You can take it off, though, so I'll do that until I know what it is. Does anyone know what it is for?

I rate it as alright, hoping the broken plug was a rare event. With two extra stir bars and a discount I got for my first purchase on the website I paid about 52€

[Edited on 2-7-2020 by Draeger]

Collected elements:

Collected compounds:

Inorganic:
NaOH; NaHCO3; MnCl2; MnCO3; CuSO4; FeSO4; aq. 30-33% HCl; aq. NaClO; aq. 9,5% ammonia; aq. 94-96% H2SO4; aq. 3% H2O2

Organic:
Abromination
Hazard to Others

Mood: 1,4 tar

[*] posted on 2-7-2020 at 19:58

@draeger,
Many of these units sold on Amazon either break quickly or have trouble producing temperatures above 100 degrees. When buying a hotplate it is important to make sure the watt rating is above at least 600.

List of materials made by ScienceMadness.org users:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nmJ8uq-h4IkXPxD5svnT...
--------------------------------
Elements Collected: H, Li, B, C, N, O, Mg, Al, Si, P, S, Fe, Ni, Cu, Zn, Ag, I, Au, Pb, Bi, Am
Last Acquired: B
Next: Na
--------------
Draeger
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-7-2020 at 02:43

Quote: Originally posted by Abromination  
@draeger,
Many of these units sold on Amazon either break quickly or have trouble producing temperatures above 100 degrees. When buying a hotplate it is important to make sure the watt rating is above at least 600.

Had to just take the cheapest I found. I'm on an extremely tight budget so units that are actually in any way comparable to western quality aren't in my price range.

Collected elements:

Collected compounds:

Inorganic:

Organic:
Belowzero
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-7-2020 at 04:18

Quote: Originally posted by Draeger  

Stirring works quite well as far as I can tell. Definitely enough for my purposes, at least so far. On fast speed it often splatters, though. Is that normal?

I'm unsure what the contraption next to the plate is for. You can take it off, though, so I'll do that until I know what it is. Does anyone know what it is for?

[Edited on 2-7-2020 by Draeger]

The splattering is normal, depends a bit of the type/size of the magnet and the size of your container.

Its a built in lab stand, used to clamp glassware, quite convenient that it's built in actually.
Usually the clamps look like this:

Or if you are building a larger setup it can be used to connect it to other stands to stabilize the whole.

[Edited on 3-7-2020 by Belowzero]

[Edited on 3-7-2020 by Belowzero]
CharlieA
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-7-2020 at 15:57

From the looks of the clamp, it looks like it might be multi-functional; perhaps to hold a thermometer/thermocouple probe/small hoses (to add a gas perhaps.
Heptylene
Hazard to Others

biggrin.gif posted on 5-7-2020 at 02:11
DN 150 reactor

I just bought a 4 liter reactor + 5 neck lid on a local website for $80! Came without any damage or chips. It has a large "DN 150" duran flange and the glass is really thick. The ID is about 14.5 cm, OD about 16 cm, 30 cm tall + 15 cm for the lid.

Second photo shows it connected to a vacuum pump to test it.

I have some vacuum and plasma experiments planned for this, but not many idea chemistry-wise. Perhaps a chlorate cell? Does anyone have large-scale reaction suggestions?

reactor1.jpg - 222kB reactor2.jpg - 270kB
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-7-2020 at 02:39

There are so many uses,
Dessicator, Digester, electrochemistry, vivarium, ...

First you could consider standardising 'tubing' diameters;
Glass tubing for gas/liquid in/out, thermometer or thermocouple shafts, and maybe overhead stirrer.

As the cheap Chinese overhead stir shafts are 7mm diameter,
maybe 7mm is an option.

7mm od x 5mm id glass tubes could also be used to sheath electrical wires etc.

Might reduce the total number of stopper-adapter pieces accumulated

The ptfe (with internal rubber O-ring) bearing stoppers for the overhead stirrers may be useful.

Dedicated all-glass adapters are preferable due to inertnes,
but glass tubes are cheap enough to try glass bending, stretching and sealing ideas
- without regretting failures

[Edited on 5-7-2020 by Sulaiman]

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-7-2020 at 02:48

Quote: Originally posted by Heptylene  
I just bought a 4 liter reactor + 5 neck lid on a local website for $80! Came without any damage or chips. It has a large "DN 150" duran flange and the glass is really thick. The ID is about 14.5 cm, OD about 16 cm, 30 cm tall + 15 cm for the lid.

Second photo shows it connected to a vacuum pump to test it.

I have some vacuum and plasma experiments planned for this, but not many idea chemistry-wise. Perhaps a chlorate cell? Does anyone have large-scale reaction suggestions?

You could kill two birds with one stone and try to make coated electrodes by sputtering lead dioxide on to them or just lead with very low pressure oxygen. You will need a microwave oven transformer with a current limiting ballast, preferably rectified for the HT power supply.

I am wg48 but not on my usual pc hence the temp handle.
Thank goodness for Fleming and the fungi.
Old codger' lives matters, wear a mask and help save them.
Be aware of demagoguery, keep your frontal lobes fully engaged.
I don't know who invented mRNA vaccines but they should get a fancy medal and I hope they made a shed load of money from it.
Heptylene
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-7-2020 at 04:43

Sulaiman: Overhead stirring sounds good. Definitely needed for reactions as I doubt my stirbars are large enough for this beast of a reactor. I already have a glass stirrer rod with an impeller which, maybe it fits the chinese stirrer bearings!
I also like the idea of having glass tube to pump liquid in and out. I have a 29/32 thermometer adapter with a teflon joint that actually fits 10 mm tubing, so I might get a couple more for inlet and outlet.

wg48: I actually already have an MMO anode, so lead dioxide is not needed at least for chlorates. Besides I think PbO2 anodes can be made by electrolysis methods. Do you know if the sputtered ones have an advantage over the ones made by electrolysis?

I might try sputtering anyway. Do you know if a roughing pump is sufficient for this? I'm repairing a 2-stage rotary vane pump at the moment, hopefully it will pull down to 1e-5 atm :).

wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-7-2020 at 06:14

Quote: Originally posted by Heptylene  

wg48: I actually already have an MMO anode, so lead dioxide is not needed at least for chlorates. Besides I think PbO2 anodes can be made by electrolysis methods. Do you know if the sputtered ones have an advantage over the ones made by electrolysis?

I might try sputtering anyway. Do you know if a roughing pump is sufficient for this? I'm repairing a 2-stage rotary vane pump at the moment, hopefully it will pull down to 1e-5 atm :).

No I do not know if anodes made by sputtering or other vacuum techniques have an advantage. I can say that potentially they can produce unique materials or unusual forms of compounds that may have desirable properties for anodes. I thought you just wanted to experiment (play)

Sputtering requires some gas pressure to works so a roughing pump may be fine. With single stage pump I have evaporated tungsten from a tungsten rod electrically heated by the current from a one turn secondary of a toroidal transformer. The initial effect is to getter the residual gases and hence improve the vacuum. The film formed was a transparent blue colour (probably an oxide) with good adherence to glass.

You can also improve the vacuum by making a discharge between aluminium electrodes. That also gives an indication of the vacuum. The more defuse discharge covering more of the electrodes indicates a better vacuum. A dark discharge indicates a good vacuum. No discharge a very good vacuum or no vacuum.

You can connect up as much of your glass as you have in a line and create discharge from end to end. it will even discharge thru a wash bottle filled molecular sieves or plastic tubing.

Make certain the last electrode is earthed and is the electrode nearest the pump or the discharge will use the pump as an electrode. That's how I discovered the discharge can go thru a wash bottle filled with sieves I was using as a trap for oil vapour from the pump and water vapour from the chamber.

PS: I found a diagram illustrating how a discharge changes with pressure. Note you only get that type of display with a ballasted DC supply.

Gaseous-discharge-as-the-pressure-is-reduced-FDS-Faraday-Dark-Space-CDS-Crookes-(1).jpg - 46kB

[Edited on 7/5/2020 by wg48temp9]

I am wg48 but not on my usual pc hence the temp handle.
Thank goodness for Fleming and the fungi.
Old codger' lives matters, wear a mask and help save them.
Be aware of demagoguery, keep your frontal lobes fully engaged.
I don't know who invented mRNA vaccines but they should get a fancy medal and I hope they made a shed load of money from it.
Eddie Current
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 5-7-2020 at 13:13

A vacuum drying pistol

vacpistol.PNG - 1.1MB
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 6-7-2020 at 11:44

buchner.jpeg - 52kB

Gift from my friend in California

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

Draeger
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-7-2020 at 13:22

Quote: Originally posted by arkoma  

Gift from my friend in California

Wow, what a nice friend. Those things are surprisingly expensive.

Collected elements:

Collected compounds:

Inorganic:

Organic:
 Pages:  1  ..  13    15    17  ..  20

Go To Top