Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  15    17    19  20
Author: Subject: latest glassware purchase
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 18-11-2020 at 19:26

Quote: Originally posted by Heptylene  
I just got an Anschütz-Thiele receiver, which is the german version of the Perkin triangle. I've been trying to find one for some time now since they cost an arm when new. Thankfully, ebay exists and an opportunity finally presented itself :)

This is actually a really useful piece of equipment: it allows the collection of many fractions during vacuum distillation without having to bring the whole apparatus back to atmospheric pressure. Normally you are limited to 3-4 fractions if you're using a cow receiver, but not with this!

That is gorgeous, Heptylene. Nice acquisition.
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 27-11-2020 at 03:36

Heptylene congrat. Recently I managed to buy Anschütz-Thiele receiver too :)

IMG_20201127_111959_5_sm.jpg - 30kB

here nicely explained how does it work:
https://www.bcp.fu-berlin.de/chemie/chemie/studium/ocpraktik...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perkin_triangle

HydrogenSulphate
Harmless

Mood: Caffeinated

[*] posted on 29-11-2020 at 13:15

Some GL45 reagent bottles. I really like these! Although they are not exactly cheap, they are of high quality. There are red cap versions, which have a PTFE liner. The PTFE lined ones are even more expensive. Do you think that the blue cap bottles will suffice for most situations? When would you prefer the red caps over the blue caps?

DSCN0668 (3).JPG - 1.6MB

[Edited on 29-11-2020 by HydrogenSulphate]
HydrogenSulphate
Harmless

Mood: Caffeinated

[*] posted on 29-11-2020 at 13:22

Quote: Originally posted by Db33  
i posted that i needed some good dry/wet chem storage bottles. So i found a lot on eBay the guy was selling the lot for $85 but he accepted my offer for $50 so im very happy with the deal. You cant see it but theres also a top shelf with a lot of tiny vial sized bottles. I actually got this little cupboard specifically for this so i think its a pretty good start.

I am a big fan of the old fashioned Apothecary bottles. Adrian ('Plasticraincoat1' or 'Adrian's Chemistry Laboratory' on youtube) has a lot of the old fashioned bottles in his lab

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 29-11-2020 at 13:22

I was browsing online for gifts for other people, and then couldn't resist buying myself a couple cheap nickel crucibles from AliX. I'm hoping to hydrolyze piperine to the acid without a twelve-hour reflux (higher temp, ethylene glycol, KOH).

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Fluorite
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-12-2020 at 10:40

i found someone IN TUNISIA willing to sell me a flask for 6$ but the condenser is a bit expensive i guess 28$ but idk where to find adapter so i can use this just for reflux

126046675_405086307196009_6134212263859006734_n.jpg - 66kB
RustyShackleford
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-12-2020 at 11:13

Quote: Originally posted by HydrogenSulphate  
When would you prefer the red caps over the blue caps?

When storing something like bromine or low boiling stuff like ethyl ether or bromoethane
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-1-2021 at 12:49

Here without looking for them I found these Anschutz-Thiele receivers with good price and various joints sizes:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/14-23-19-26-24-29-29-32-Female-x-Ma...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/182711306166
https://www.ebay.com/itm/14-23-Female-x-14-23-Male-Joint-Gla...

wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-1-2021 at 04:55

I have been after some cheap SS 1/4" VCR hi vacuum/pressure gas fittings for some time. I finally won an auction on a job lot of used ones for £12.50. They arrived today. I did not win 55mm diameter vacuum valve that i also needed. That sold for more than £100.

vcr-connectors.jpg - 270kB

I am wg48 but not on my usual pc hence the temp handle.
Thank goodness for Fleming and the fungi.
Old codger' lives matters, wear a mask and help save them.
Be aware of demagoguery, keep your frontal lobes fully engaged.
I don't know who invented mRNA vaccines but they should get a fancy medal and I hope they made a shed load of money from it.
earpain
Hazard to Others

cool.gif posted on 30-1-2021 at 12:13

So you guys probably saw these kits flood the Chinese shill vendors who may or may not have warehouses right next to you(but it always says they do).

Looks like the 'guild' has raised the price. My order went like this:
posted as ~$60 or best offer. Hmmmm, normally for $60USD i might get two of those items at best. So i went through his history for this item, and almost all the orders said "accepted offer". So brazenly, I offered $7 below asking. I said it was a great deal but i'm very poor. Response was warm and friendly. And discount #1: he countered at $3.00 below asking price. I said hell yes.
So then of course i get a tracking number that for over a week is stuck at "waiting for package to arrive at facility/" I know what this means. I sent him a message saying I thought that was a bit sleazy, since the marketing included a map of my country with regions showing either 1, 2, or 3 days! I was in the 2 day zone.
BAM: Instant Discount #2 - $10 refunded to my PayPal right away.

I kind of have to now confess that this is the best deal ever for glassware. It is branded, however the company's name is in Chinese characters. But the Glassware is up to par with Deschem if not better.
The cut out foam is now the 'case' for safe storage.
The leibig and the vigereux column are so much longer in real life than it looks like in the picture. This really makes a huge difference for distillations.
The addition funnel has some new design for its stopcock that I cannot explain. But somehow it allows both for perfect drip...drip.. control, and yet if a bunch of salt or gunk clog up the bottom, i can turn it and it all plops out. It's the perfect separation stopcock.
Yes I have enough 3-way adapters now to last me several life times.
Lastly: I was SURE i had received the wrong keck clamps at first, they looked like 19/x. Then I thought 'hmmm', with some extra thumb muscle, it snaps on, and it SNAPS on any joint. Like these keck clamps will hold big flasks and condensors while they patiently wait for me to find my support hardware(do not do that ever, so stupid)
(the thermometer went up to 100C and broke the first day. Nothing else has broken at all)

s-l1600.jpg - 235kB 20210125_221849.jpg - 1.6MB 20210125_221917.jpg - 1.7MB
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-1-2021 at 13:51

I don't know who and how these glassware are made, but for the price, someone's gotta do them very fast and easy, or then they get paid pennies. What I've watched glassware making videos, it's not difficult for a professional glassworker to churn out a pressure compensated funnel, but it still takes it's time.

I mean, you get dozen of hours of work worth of glass with $60 including shipping.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 30-1-2021 at 15:22

just got a new 500ml triple neck, five stoppers, a gas inlet and a couple glass petri dishes from nanshin. amazingly, only took three weeks from china.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

earpain
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-1-2021 at 17:15

Quote: Originally posted by Fyndium  
I don't know who and how these glassware are made, but for the price, someone's gotta do them very fast and easy, or then they get paid pennies. What I've watched glassware making videos, it's not difficult for a professional glassworker to churn out a pressure compensated funnel, but it still takes it's time.

I mean, you get dozen of hours of work worth of glass with $60 including shipping.

One of the Dutch companies that's famous for making cannabis bongs a la scientific glassware has a documentary where they reveal their process.
Robots. Robots that can hold glass tubes, robots with 8 arms, each one with an oxy-acetylene torch extending simultaneously, and so on.

I have basic training in glass work, and you're absolutely right, if these were man made. The reason I say it's quality work is because i examined the usual stress spots. Such as inside meets water jacket meets air meets ground glass joint on a condenser. Traditionally this required a human's attention, as the thickness required is not linear relative to amount of glass. The Chinese are smart.

Why pennies to us is a working wage to them, is a matter beyond the scope of this chat of course=D

edit: here's a better pic. I tried my best to show probably my favorite piece in the set, and why it impresses me so much. One would really need to hold it, and use it, to see what I mean. That 2nd neck tangential to the overall sphere is not trivial.
[Edited on 31-1-2021 by earpain]

[Edited on 31-1-2021 by earpain]

20210130_202253.jpg - 2.1MB
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-2-2021 at 10:23

Latest purchases:

6000mL triple neck flask
5000mL quad neck flask
300mm thermowells, which I already shortened to proper length with burner
New graham and coil condensers
Glass thimble for soxhlet
30mm test tubes, lot
Different sized joint adapters for 7mm glass tube for bleeder tubes and fuororubber o rings for them and for stirrer adapters
Overhead stirrer
Heating mantle with stir and probe
Delrin stock to mill more rigid boss heads
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-2-2021 at 10:19

This was my biggest glass purchase in my life, it arrived on pallet, usual way in carton / styrofoam box (as from ebay from China) was not sufficient now. I expanded my shopping activities abroad. I can buy all these items in my country too, but here they are 2-3-4 times more expensive.
I definitely suggest chemland.pl
There is a limit that you have to place and order of 150 EUR or above. The final price shown in eshop cart is without VAT. The VAT in PL is 23%.
The shipping cost of the pallet transport for me was 60 EUR (including VAT) for 1 pallet upto 150 kg, I'm living in the neighbouring country so shipping into further country is certainly more expensive, it seems they ship to the whole EU. When ordering less or smaller items which could fit into standard carton / styrofoam box instead to pallet the cost of transport could be very likely lower.
I couldn't make a photo of everything unpacked, so only the most valuable pieces for me - dropping funnels with pressure equalizing and long powerful condensers (the shorter one has 40 cm long active cooling part and the rest 60 cm).
The Glassco brand ground glass joints are higher quality, the Chemland brand ground glass joints have slightly less accuracy but still OK for home lab (grease fills and closes every gap). I selected Glassco everywhere possible (e.g. RBF).

IMG_20210209_122004_3_sm.jpg - 39kB IMG_20210209_180949_7_sm.jpg - 27kB IMG_20210209_181437_3_sm.jpg - 27kB

[Edited on 9-2-2021 by Fery]

paulll
Hazard to Self

Mood: It's fine. Really.

[*] posted on 22-2-2021 at 14:06

Been keeping the postman busy lately. Not pallets-of-stuff busy, but still.
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-2-2021 at 21:48

Quote: Originally posted by Fery  
long powerful condensers (the shorter one has 40 cm long active cooling part and the rest 60 cm)

I noted that condensers choke quite easily when pushing too hard. I got an issue with exothermic reaction which was near boiling over as condenser quickly filled with condensed liquid. 24* are more prone than 29*. I'd choose 45* joint for any larger condenser need nowadays.
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-2-2021 at 23:10

Fyndium that's true. The condensers which I've bought are all 29/32.
Condensers with ground glass joints 45/40 are available too. For these bigger joints there are flasks of volume 250, 500, 1000, 2000, 4000 ml.
6 as well 10 L RBF have even bigger joints 60/46.
But a 29/32 condenser like this is wide enough not to choke at condensate flow certainly more than 20 ml per second

Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-3-2021 at 09:44

Another good order from chemland.pl
Beats 2-4 times the prices of the glass sold in my country and still beats the prices of Chinese glass from ebay.
Palette size order again, the price of shipping dissolves in the value of items.
Not only glass but also a few of reagents.
The RBF in the cardboard box in the middle of picture from which only its neck and joint is visible is 6 L RBF.
Also few hundreds of vials and caps on the left side of RBF, I believe enough for the rest of my life. I used to use vials from pills which my grandmother took -but she is not with us already for decades.

IMG_20210308_141626_1_sm.jpg - 36kB IMG_20210308_162040_8_sm.jpg - 161kB

[Edited on 8-3-2021 by Fery]

Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-3-2021 at 14:33

Damn, next time I'm gonna stock from Chemland too. Many of their prices are basically ridiculously cheap.

Only big con is they only supply single neck flasks for bigger sizes. I wish they expand to 3- and 4-neck rbf:s. Single necks are really limited for practical reaction use.
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-3-2021 at 23:34

Fyndium, you are right, the biggest RBF 1 L:
https://sklep-chemland.pl/en/szklo-laboratoryjne/szklo-z-ele...
https://sklep-chemland.pl/en/szklo-laboratoryjne/szklo-z-ele...

I buy sometimes from this seller in my country but I do not know whether they sell abroad, but I suppose they don't as the only one language in eshop is CZ. They sell upto 6 L flasks with upto 3 necks (straight=parallel or 20 deg angle)
https://www.verkon.cz/banka-destilacni-s-kulatym-dnem-a-dvem...
https://www.verkon.cz/banka-destilacni-s-kulatym-dnem-a-dvem...
here I found prices for delivery and everything is only for delivering inside country:
https://www.verkon.cz/download/file/19509/cenik-prepravy-12-...
for the prices recalculation Kc means CZK, you can approximate 1 EUR = 26 CZK these days and the prices are without VAT, so you must add 21% into the price seen in the eshop.
Also the prices in chemland are without VAT which is 23% in Poland.

[Edited on 10-3-2021 by Fery]

Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-3-2021 at 07:18

I won in an auction a beautiful historical glass piece made in Sklarny Kavalier CZ under brand name Sial, the manufactured later changed its brand name to Simax. Only 4 CZK which is 20 cents for this water vacuum pump, it arrived today by a postal service.

water_vacuum_pump.png - 317kB IMG_20210310_115934_7_sm.jpg - 45kB IMG_20210310_120118_3_sm.jpg - 46kB
IMG_20210310_115918_0_sm.jpg - 50kB IMG_20210310_120211_9_sm.jpg - 23kB

itsallgoodjames
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-3-2021 at 08:36

Quote: Originally posted by Fyndium  

It's all machine made. There isn't a person manually making it, there's just someone that operates the machine that makes it. That's the reason they can be so cheap

Nuclear physics is neat. It's a shame it's so regulated...

Now that I think about it, that's probably a good thing. Still annoying though.
Schleimsäure
Hazard to Others

Mood: Probably

[*] posted on 13-3-2021 at 13:36

Not glassware, but a professional vacuum pump from KFN Neuberger:

Chemical resistant, even for most aggressive gases. 8 mbar.

180 EUR including shipment. Shows that not too many people have money at hand anymore. Usually worth 600 EUR at least. New 1200 EUR.

XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-3-2021 at 17:17

recent glass order from daschem,e excellently packed per usual.

vacuum trap and the rest you'll recognize.

Going to do some sodium once my magnesium arrives and finally make 1, 4, dioxane via the FeSO3 method.

20210318_180644.jpg - 826kB
 Pages:  1  ..  15    17    19  20

Go To Top