Pages:  1  ..  12    14    16  ..  20
Author: Subject: latest glassware purchase
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-3-2020 at 23:27

Sorry to triple post but I want to WARN FOLKS
DO NOT BUY A THERMOMETER SIMILAR TO THE ONE THAT I BOUGHT FROM THE LINK ABOVE

melting ice reads 0.0oC ... perfect
boiling water OR condensing steam reads 103.5oC ... WTF!

back home in UK I have many thermometers ... this is by far the most inaccurate that I've ever come across.

waiting for a reply from the seller .......

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
Draeger
Hazard to Others

Mood: Slowly getting ready for new projects

[*] posted on 3-4-2020 at 17:28

Just bought all of that.
Let me translate everything in order from top to bottom.

Beaker, low form, boro 3.3, 100ml, no graduation, pack of 10

Standing flask, boro 3.3, ground glass joint 29/32, 250ml

Joint clamp, ground glass joint 29/32

Liebig condenser, boro 3.3, glass olives, 29/32, 400mm

Distilling head with vertical junction, 2 29/32 ground glass joints, 1 14/23 ground glass joint

Universeal thermometer, white-coated, filling Hg, 76mm immersion depth, length 300mm, -10 to +360:2° C

Moldex 8090 particle filter adapter, 2x per pack

PTFE-joint sleeves for ground glass joint 29/32

PTFE tape

Collected elements:
Al, Cu, Ga, C (coal), S, Zn, Na

Collected compounds:

Inorganic:
NaOH; NaHCO3; MnCl2; MnCO3; CuSO4; FeSO4; aq. 30-33% HCl; aq. NaClO; aq. 9,5% ammonia; aq. 94-96% H2SO4; aq. 3% H2O2

Organic:
citric acid, sodium acetate, sodium citrate, petroleum, mineral oil
Draeger
Hazard to Others

Mood: Slowly getting ready for new projects

[*] posted on 8-4-2020 at 10:30

Quote: Originally posted by Draeger  

Just bought all of that.
Let me translate everything in order from top to bottom.

Beaker, low form, boro 3.3, 100ml, no graduation, pack of 10

Standing flask, boro 3.3, ground glass joint 29/32, 250ml

Joint clamp, ground glass joint 29/32

Liebig condenser, boro 3.3, glass olives, 29/32, 400mm

Distilling head with vertical junction, 2 29/32 ground glass joints, 1 14/23 ground glass joint

Universeal thermometer, white-coated, filling Hg, 76mm immersion depth, length 300mm, -10 to +360:2° C

Moldex 8090 particle filter adapter, 2x per pack

PTFE-joint sleeves for ground glass joint 29/32

PTFE tape

I'd thought I could post pictures of everything soon, but apparently the order isn't even processed yet, so I don't know what is going on. I hope I can soon.

Collected elements:
Al, Cu, Ga, C (coal), S, Zn, Na

Collected compounds:

Inorganic:
NaOH; NaHCO3; MnCl2; MnCO3; CuSO4; FeSO4; aq. 30-33% HCl; aq. NaClO; aq. 9,5% ammonia; aq. 94-96% H2SO4; aq. 3% H2O2

Organic:
citric acid, sodium acetate, sodium citrate, petroleum, mineral oil
WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 9-4-2020 at 11:29
First Time Glassware Buy

I celebrated the relaxation of Texas' glassware laws by making my first real glassware purchase ever.

After spending a lot of time over-thinking what brands to focus on and who to buy from, I decided to go with domestic sellers and stick with reputable brands. I narrowed my search down to this seller on eBay: labstuff16 as he seemed to have most of what I was looking for at this time.

So here are some pictures:

IMG_0625.JPG - 82kB IMG_0626.JPG - 108kB IMG_0627.JPG - 560kB IMG_0629.JPG - 512kB

Everything was very nicely packed and individually bubble-wrapped. The glassware itself is all Chemglass except for the 100ml RBF (Pyrex) and maybe the Liebig condenser (Sigma). They are all used, but all pieces are essentially flawless or show very minor use.

The only possible issue that I can see is that I cannot find a 105 degree bent adapter in the box, and I should have received one. I am going to check my packaging a few more times and check with the seller. It was not sent then I believe it was simply an innocent oversight.

I am still awaiting a cold finger trap and some Keck clips from other sellers.

[Edited on 20-04-09 by WGTR]

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 9-4-2020 at 13:43

Looks lovely, WGTR. The obvious thing missing is eithe a multineck flask or a Claisen adapter. So often you want a spare neck when using the addition funnel.
Have fun with it all.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-4-2020 at 18:18

+1 on the Claisen adaptor, for addition funnel or thermometer
also;
A 24/40 stopper for the addition funnel
(or a more versatile 24/40 gas adapter with stopcock)

A thermometer adapter/well/pocket

A roll of plumbers ptfe tape (or some messy joint grease)

A plain column which can be used as a Hempel column, air condenser, or chromatography column
or
A Vigreux column as even one to two additional theoretical plates make a worthwhile difference
and it also acts as a splash adapter :P

nice-to-have are an NS24-sized bottle brush for the joints and maybe a burette brush for the condenser
... all collected whilst here on holiday/lockdown ... waiting for a 34/35 to 24/29 adapter
5L Rig2.jpg - 2MB

I've been very lucky;
. the 5L rbf with heating mantle and three stands w/clamps were gifted to me
. the Vigreux column, still head adapter, thermometer adapter, thermometer, condenser and receiver adapter were free
as the 1000ml and 500ml flasks of an eBay '1000ml distillation kit' were broken in transit so I got a full refund

I've only had to buy a 14/23 thermometer adapter (in the rbf), a second thermometer, and a water pump,
plus the 34/35 to 24/29 adapter which I'm waiting for.

P.S. the upper thermometer shows the current ambient temperature - in the shade before noon :o

P.P.S. my stands and clamps in UK are cheap Chinese plated steel ... which rusts
if you are considering new stands and clamps I recommend aluminium (as shown above) because they are rust-proof (except for the screws).

[Edited on 11-4-2020 by Sulaiman]

WGTR
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-4-2020 at 10:55

Thank you for the compliments/comments jsum_1 and sulaiman.

I intend to follow up this order with another one that will include some of the additional items that were mentioned. The round flask with connections on either end is a chromatography reservoir. I am planning to post some more in the Ostwald Process thread, and plan to use that as an oxidation chamber. Right now I'm gearing my glassware purchases towards this project, which is why some things may not appear to go well with each other for general distillations, etc.

WGTR
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-4-2020 at 14:25

As a followup, it turns out that the seller labstuff16 was out of stock on the 105 degree adapters, and one didn't get sent in the first place. That's why it was missing from the shipment. He sent a refund for this item, and everything turned out well.

[Edited on 20-04-13 by WGTR]

earpain
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-4-2020 at 10:33

Hi. Can anyone enlighten in regards to the SPD stillhead situation? For example this listing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Distilling-Head-Short-Path-10-18-Th...

That' s $17.95

Or here we go, the very same labstuff16, Chemglass branded:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chemglass-Distilling-Head-short-pat...
$25.49

Meanwhile most other listings for the same item are $80 - $300. Often closer to $200, and all parties have perfect rating history , etc

WGTR
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-4-2020 at 13:17

Quote: Originally posted by earpain  
Hi. Can anyone enlighten in regards to the SPD stillhead situation? For example this listing:

That' s $17.95

$25.49

Meanwhile most other listings for the same item are $80 - $300. Often closer to $200, and all parties have perfect rating history , etc

Well, I can vouch for labstuff's packing. It's excellent, and probably overkill. He handled the last order very well in this regard. I just put in another approximately $350 order, and I'll post an "un-boxing" here when it arrives, probably in a week or so.

His pictures are representative of what he sends, and aren't necessarily the same branded items that you see in the picture. It may be Chemglass, Kontes, etc. Read the item listing to be sure. So far, I have received essentially the same items that have been pictured in the listings, in same or better condition than expected.

One thing that I will mention, is that if you see a part number in a listing, do a quick Google search to make sure that it matches the picture in the listing. I've found that a few of his listings for adapters appear to either have the wrong part number listed in the description or the wrong picture. I'm not sure which.

He combines shipping costs for multiple items, but for single items to Texas the shipping for a single item is astronomical ($20+). I would say just put a shopping cart together first and ask him for a rough shipping quote before you purchase if this is an issue for you.

So far as price is concerned, he does accept offers. If you make a good case for a price, he may entertain your offer. I would suggest giving the guy a day or two to reply to questions via eBay, especially if it requires him to actually go look at an item before answering. I suspect that he has a separate day-job.

The item that you are referring to is offered here from Chemglass:
https://chemglass.com/distilling-heads-short-path

The $80-$300 prices are for what I would suspect are brand new items, not used, as the list price is around $200...or, they're just asking too much.

[Edited on 20-04-16 by WGTR]

earpain
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-4-2020 at 13:41

Quote: Originally posted by WGTR  
Quote: Originally posted by earpain  

That' s $17.95

$25.49

Well, I can vouch for labstuff's packing. It's excellent, and probably overkill. He handled the last order very well in this regard. I just put in another approximately $350 order, and I'll post an "un-boxing" here when it arrives, probably in a week or so.

His pictures are representative of what he sends, and aren't necessarily the same branded items that you see in the picture. It may be Chemglass, Kontes, etc. Read the item listing to be sure. So far, I have received essentially the same items that have been pictured in the listings, in same or better condition than expected.

One thing that I will mention, is that if you see a part number in a listing, do a quick Google search to make sure that it matches the picture in the listing. I've found that a few of his listings for adapters appear to either have the wrong part number listed in the description or the wrong picture. I'm not sure which.

He combines shipping costs for multiple items, but for single items to Texas the shipping for a single item is astronomical ($20+). I would say just put a shopping cart together first and ask him for a rough shipping quote before you purchase if this is an issue for you.

So far as price is concerned, he does accept offers. If you make a good case for a price, he may entertain your offer. I would suggest giving the guy a day or two to reply to questions via eBay, especially if it requires him to actually go look at an item before answering. I suspect that he has a separate day-job.

The item that you are referring to is offered here from Chemglass:
https://chemglass.com/distilling-heads-short-path

The $80-$300 prices are for what I would suspect are brand new items, not used, as the list price is around $200...or, they're just asking too much.

Wow. You have just answered every question I not only had, but didn't even quite yet think to ask. Yeah it's a little odd I put together a 13 item list, added it to my shopping cart.
He sends me a minor discount counter offer , 13 times, for each item.
So it took a while but i clicked 'accept' through them. Now ebay is auto-complaining that I'm not buiying something I committed to, but seller is not responding to requests to combine shipping costs. I'm in Massachusetts, and the shipping cost total right now is about $200, and the items themselves are $100.

In regards to the SPD head
Yes i did precisely that. I cross-referenced against Chemglass's site. It looked right. And I get that some glassware is branded by 'gucci' names, some is chinese, some is unbranded, and that 'chipped' wouldnt be anything to worry aboutl

But for these SPD's it''s a phenomenal difference. Then again many of these sellers also handle tons of other super specialized industries. They may not realize that an SPD is a complicated device, or vice-versa. I guess their bots do their pricing for them sometimes.

Hmm...just noticed that some of the items are now being removed from the shopping cart, due to being outbidded.....
WGTR
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-4-2020 at 14:19

If you accepted his offers, then you agreed to buy those items, FYI. That's how eBay works. I usually hold off on accepting anything until I decide what all I'm interested in, and how many of each item I would like to make offers for. If you purchase more than one item, then the offers you receive from the seller may be too high, since they are generally for one item only. In that case I may decline an offer or make a counteroffer for multiple items.

If some 24/40 glassware disappeared from your shopping cart, it may be because I just bought it. Sorry...

Just send the seller a message asking for an invoice with combined shipping. It may take a couple of days to get a reply since he has to figure out how many items will fit in a given box and then calculate the shipping for it. For a $100 order I would think shipping would be around $40+ tax, depending on where you are located and how large the items are. The pictures that I posted above was for a $100 order; with shipping and tax that came to about $150. Keep i mind that I live in the deep south, and shipping may be quite a bit cheaper for you.

earpain
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-4-2020 at 14:25

If you accepted his offers, then you agreed to buy those items, FYI. That's how eBay works. I usually hold off on accepting anything until I decide what all I'm interested in, and how many of each item I would like to make offers for. If you purchase more than one item, then the offers you receive from the seller may be too high, since they are generally for one item only. In that case I may decline an offer or make a counteroffer for multiple items.

If some 24/40 glassware disappeared from your shopping cart, it may be because I just bought it. Sorry...

Sure but, all of the "combine shipping" automation powers of the ebay platform are on the seller's end of the interface, not the buyer's. Most will simply auto-calculate the shipping as one order.

I actually was willing to pay right away, I was at the second to last page of the check out, and still, nothing budging on the shipping cost. They are are just a couple states away from me, too.

hahthe 1L pyrex? no worries buddy , your advice is worth a hundred RBF's =D
WGTR
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-4-2020 at 14:36

Yeah, I think it's some check box that he forgot to check on his account. For some reason it doesn't allow you to request a total on the purchase with combined shipping. You just have to request and wait for an updated invoice to arrive.

earpain
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-4-2020 at 14:41

Yeah, I think it's some check box that he forgot to check on his account. For some reason it doesn't allow you to request a total on the purchase with combined shipping. You just have to request and wait for an updated invoice to arrive.

I agree most likely that's all it is. But when reading seller's help section,the way ebay phrases the auto Combine Shipping option is revealing:
"Some buyers are very picky about details. They might notice that their multiple items shipping costs were not combined, and may not return to your store"

So...maybe leaving that box unchecked yields extra profit from...the other sort of buyer?

I probably should have used an account with more history and feedback...on ebay that is. Oh well then. Thanks again

[Edited on 16-4-2020 by earpain]
WGTR
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-4-2020 at 18:09

I just received another purchase from a different seller on eBay, letterkenny7745.

IMG_0642.JPG - 65kB IMG_0643.JPG - 102kB IMG_0645.JPG - 91kB IMG_0646.JPG - 89kB

These are 1451 Fisher Castaloy 90° double lab clamps. I was a bit surprised when I opened the package. The clamps looked brand new, not used.

Unfortunately, I do not see any other lab equipment in his store at this time.

It was a pretty straightforward eBay purchase and a good experience I would say.

WGTR
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-4-2020 at 18:27

I purchased a collection of stuff from tommytubez, also on eBay. This was more than a business transaction; I found it to be a pleasant experience. He was very quick to reply to his messages, and a seemingly gracious individual.

I actually purchased only the large filter tube and the collection of Kontes 90° lattice connectors. He threw in a few other things as freebies. There's a 100mL reaction flask in there, in addition to some Schlenk filtration tube and a peptide vessel with some small frit at the bottom.

IMG_0650.JPG - 73kB IMG_0653.JPG - 135kB IMG_0654.JPG - 71kB

It looks like he still has some of the small lattice connectors available. I tried one out and it clamped securely onto 1/2" aluminum rod. They look brand new. In fact, the glassware looked brand new also, even though it is "used".

He mentioned to me in a message that he has a large quantity of brand new Kontes glassware that is not listed in his store right now, because he has way more glassware than he has time to photograph and list individually. He offered to send pictures of the collection if anyone is interested.

[Edited on 20-04-17 by WGTR]

SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-4-2020 at 13:40

Got some cows.

DSC04466.JPG - 2.3MB

Now I need to find some cheap land in the coastal range and start a herd.

This glassware should at the very least enable me to distill through rain and wind and weather, hell bent for leather.

All I need is to hire Rowdy Yates for my lab assistant.

clinteastwoodscienceguy.jpg - 9kB

morganbw
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-4-2020 at 15:20

A cow is on my need to get list. I really could/would make some things easier.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-4-2020 at 20:46

A cow or pig adapter looks useful
but I would like a Perkin triangle ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perkin_triangle
e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PERKIN-INTERMEDIATE-LABORATORY-GL...:PXoAAOSwr9BeWjFP
or https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multiple-Female-x-Male-Joint-Glas...
which gives more operational flexibility.

earpain
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-4-2020 at 06:52

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  
A cow or pig adapter looks useful
but I would like a Perkin triangle ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perkin_triangle
e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PERKIN-INTERMEDIATE-LABORATORY-GL...:PXoAAOSwr9BeWjFP
or https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multiple-Female-x-Male-Joint-Glas...
which gives more operational flexibility.

So basically it's the same concept as the 'ante-room' whenever you visit a space station, yes? Seal valve 1. Open door 2, seal valve 2, close door 2, open door 1, flask replaced. Interior pressure unchanged?

Ok that is smarter than a pig. And a pig/cow is already pretty smart.
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-4-2020 at 12:20

I thought I posted this last night, but I guess not:

You don't need the triangle if you've got a 2-valve addition funnel and a Claisen adaptor and a gas inlet fitting.

Put the funnel on top of the straight arm of the Claisen and the gas inlet adaptor on the bent arm.

Put a piece of hose on the inlet adaptor and clamp it off.

Open the funnel side arm valve and close the funnel's main valve.

Put the whole thing on your distillation receiver and put an RBF on the bottom.

Evacuate and distill until you've got your first fraction and drain it into the flask by opening the funnel's main valve.

Close the main valve and the side-arm valve and then vent the flask through the hose on the gas inlet.

Change flasks, then close the vent and re-establish vacuum in the collection flask and Claisen by slowly opening the funnel's side-arm valve.

I believe this can be referred to as an Agnew/Graft collector.

Refinery
Hazard to Others

Mood: Still

[*] posted on 28-4-2020 at 12:06

5000ml 3-neck rbf.
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 30-4-2020 at 22:21

Yesterday I took delivery of a distillation kit, which included a 3 neck RBF. Unfortunately the 3 neck RBF showed up in about 50 pieces. I immediately got in touch with the seller, but I have had no response so far. I will give them till the end of the weekend otherwise I will name and shame. Either way I will let everyone know of the outcome.
earpain
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-5-2020 at 14:21

Quote: Originally posted by SWIM  
I thought I posted this last night, but I guess not:

You don't need the triangle if you've got a 2-valve addition funnel and a Claisen adaptor and a gas inlet fitting.

Put the funnel on top of the straight arm of the Claisen and the gas inlet adaptor on the bent arm.

Put a piece of hose on the inlet adaptor and clamp it off.

Open the funnel side arm valve and close the funnel's main valve.

Put the whole thing on your distillation receiver and put an RBF on the bottom.

Evacuate and distill until you've got your first fraction and drain it into the flask by opening the funnel's main valve.

Close the main valve and the side-arm valve and then vent the flask through the hose on the gas inlet.

Change flasks, then close the vent and re-establish vacuum in the collection flask and Claisen by slowly opening the funnel's side-arm valve.

I believe this can be referred to as an Agnew/Graft collector.

I'm usually bad at following verbal descriptions of something visual, but in this case yes, true! In fact as long as there is an 'ante-chamber- of some sort, there are many ways to achieve this.
If we think broader for a moment, some well known industries have come up with even smarter solutions:
spring loaded, push-pin screw valves. aka Schraeder, aka the valves on little propane/mapp canisters, aka butane container + butane lighter.

In all cases, both joining parties have a 'only open if pushed in' valve. When screwing on to each other, or simply holding the two flush and pushing against each other, both respective push valves push on each other.
My vacuum pump came with several such adapters and connectors. Some identical threaded connectors have the push pin, some do not. If i wanted to switch flasks, I would just use my adapter......or rather two adapters. No 3rd party(flask/chamber) to evacuate and refill required
Except I've never seen a chemically resistant version of this

[Edited on 4-5-2020 by earpain]
 Pages:  1  ..  12    14    16  ..  20

Go To Top