Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: any use for this broken addition funnel?
Db33
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-1-2017 at 07:08
any use for this broken addition funnel?

im posting photos of a broken addition funnel that came courtesy of a shotty ebay purchase and shitty delivery. anyways i was wondering if any of these pieces could be salvaged and used for something? Im thinking the stopcock part might be at least useful as a stopper since it is airproof.

br.jpg - 104kB
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-1-2017 at 07:24

you could cut the female socket off of the top (not in photo')
to epoxy resin into anything that needs 'conversion' to jointed glassware.

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-1-2017 at 07:33

I've always wanted an addition funnel with two stopcocks: one on the pressure equalizing arm and one for addition. That way, you could do multiple additions to a vigorously refluxing / distilling apparatus.

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-1-2017 at 18:06

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
I've always wanted an addition funnel with two stopcocks: one on the pressure equalizing arm and one for addition. That way, you could do multiple additions to a vigorously refluxing / distilling apparatus.

They sell those, not real common, but I might even have one, what size are you liking for? I presume 24/40, or 14/20 or 29/42.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-1-2017 at 19:36

I bought one once, and it was smashed in the mail. I've had some awful luck shipping addition funnels, actually. I have a 1000mL now, so I don't need it nearly as bad as I did a few months ago, but if you run across one, please do let me know.

All of my jointware is 24/40... I've been wanting to get a 14/20 set....

Meltonium
Hazard to Self

Mood: Fluorinated

[*] posted on 7-1-2017 at 12:48

This happened to me recently too. It was a friedrichs condenser though. What I did was use a diamond bit with a dremmel to cut the glass around the joints. For you situation, you might be able to use a precision blow torch or some apoxy to weld a piece of glass tubing onto your stopcock joint. There you have a gas adapter that can control flow.

For the body of your addition funnel, you might be able to (with steady hands and damp newspaper) close off the hole at the bottom of the body and flatten the bottom out. You might be able to get a nice tall form beaker or flat bottom reaction flask (If the top joint is still intact. The hole where the pressure equalizer tube meets would need to be closed up as well.

You could even keep the round bottom and the hole could be used for a thermometer if the size allows.

[Edited on 1-7-2017 by Meltonium]

"If at first you don't succeed, fail, fail again."
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-1-2017 at 18:10

I just found one box of mostly broken stuff, not sure if the whole box was dropped, or just where the broken stuff was put when it was packed. At least it seems to mostly be stuff I already have some of. But one item was also a previously nice addition funnel.

Go To Top