[*] posted on 9-1-2017 at 03:52

Good to know, I definitely checked that msds before 2013

[Edited on 9-1-2017 by Tsjerk]
D4RR3N
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-1-2017 at 05:43

Quote: Originally posted by Corrosive Joeseph  
It's quite unusual to extract a mixture of herbs, especially that many. Are you sure you know what you are doing..........?

Yes I have studied herbal medicine since high school. I don't use the standard extraction method of seven weeks in alcohol, we have better technology so we should use it.
I use a high speed blender (mine has a 3hp motor). I usually use vodka but its too expensive. My preferred method would be to blend the herb in 70-95% alcohol first, leave to stand over night and then add water blend again and leave for a week before filtering (I have a tincture press also).
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 9-1-2017 at 06:46

Then distill your own alcohol with pots and pans.
Maroboduus
Hazard to Others

Mood: vacant

[*] posted on 9-1-2017 at 10:04

Quote: Originally posted by D4RR3N  
It's quite unusual to extract a mixture of herbs, especially that many. Are you sure you know what you are doing..........?

Yes I have studied herbal medicine since high school. I don't use the standard extraction method of seven weeks in alcohol, we have better technology so we should use it.
I use a high speed blender (mine has a 3hp motor). I usually use vodka but its too expensive. My preferred method would be to blend the herb in 70-95% alcohol first, leave to stand over night and then add water blend again and leave for a week before filtering (I have a tincture press also).

Elsewhere on this site you have described yourself as an expert alchemist, and that you(and all 'true' alchemists like yourself) use symbolic language when referring to your recipes so that mercury really means not the element but something else which only you and your few enlightened peers in the alchemical field understand.
Likewise for water, where you distinguish between what the entire rest of the human race knows of as water and your 'water' which is different in some esoteric way only you and your fellow adepts understand, and are unwilling to explain. (Other than your assertion that 'it does not wet the hand")

Given this background, I think it's important to establish if by 'alcohol' you mean that substance mere chemists call ethanol, or if you are in fact referring to something else that only you and your fellow true alchemists understand the esoteric nature of.

You know, like some distillation of the blood and phlegm of the kind of toad which can so often be found dwelling in the stomach of the common mining gnome, maybe mixed with the saliva of a cockatrice.

Just for clarification.
D4RR3N
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-1-2017 at 11:14

Quote: Originally posted by Maroboduus  

Elsewhere on this site you have described yourself as an expert alchemist, and that you(and all 'true' alchemists like yourself) use symbolic language when referring to your recipes so that mercury really means not the element but something else which only you and your few enlightened peers in the alchemical field understand.
Likewise for water, where you distinguish between what the entire rest of the human race knows of as water and your 'water' which is different in some esoteric way only you and your fellow adepts understand, and are unwilling to explain. (Other than your assertion that 'it does not wet the hand")

Given this background, I think it's important to establish if by 'alcohol' you mean that substance mere chemists call ethanol, or if you are in fact referring to something else that only you and your fellow true alchemists understand the esoteric nature of.

You know, like some distillation of the blood and phlegm of the kind of toad which can so often be found dwelling in the stomach of the common mining gnome, maybe mixed with the saliva of a cockatrice.

Just for clarification.

By alcohol, yes I do mean the same variety found in vodka.

As for Alchemy, yes it is purposely written entirely in code using the names of common elements to refer to entirely different substances.
brubei
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-1-2017 at 12:21

Sugar yeast heat
Eddygp
National Hazard

Mood: Organometallic

[*] posted on 9-1-2017 at 12:48

DMSO was banned because of improper use, i.e. people indiscriminately using huge quantities of it as local anaesthetic. Small amounts (anywhere <10mL probably, really!) used to aid transmission of herbal products should be totally safe.
The reason it's difficult to review the verdict, apart from bureaucracy and the sort, is because the double blind is almost impossible because of the garlic taste it gives to the user - yet another factor that makes most pharmaceutical companies less likely to use it.

DMSO is a really good shout. To use anything, of course, do it wisely. Don't drink methanol, don't drink chloroform. It just takes a brain cell and we can all use stuff properly with minimum danger. Read MSDSs and judge critically. It boils down to that.

there may be bugs in gfind

[ˌɛdidʒiˈpiː] IPA pronunciation for my Username
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 9-1-2017 at 14:56

Propylene glycol might work. It's not really sticky to put it on your skin, perhaps a bit slippery though. Also, it's nontoxic, has a sweet taste, and is one of the active ingredients in skin moisturizer. Also, you could just use isopropanol. It's only about as toxic as ethanol, it just tastes bad. However, your body oxidizes it to acetone, which it can then use for energy. Acetone itself would be usable, if it didn't dry your skin out so much. The only advantage of ethanol is that it doesn't have as strong of a smell.

Alternatively, you could apply for a permit to purchase alcohol without the added tax, for use manufacturing a non-beverage product.
D4RR3N
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-1-2017 at 15:31

Quote: Originally posted by Melgar  
Propylene glycol might work. It's not really sticky to put it on your skin, perhaps a bit slippery though. Also, it's nontoxic, has a sweet taste, and is one of the active ingredients in skin moisturizer. Also, you could just use isopropanol. It's only about as toxic as ethanol, it just tastes bad. However, your body oxidizes it to acetone, which it can then use for energy. Acetone itself would be usable, if it didn't dry your skin out so much. The only advantage of ethanol is that it doesn't have as strong of a smell.

Alternatively, you could apply for a permit to purchase alcohol without the added tax, for use manufacturing a non-beverage product.

I just looked on ebay and Propylene glycol is very inexpensive. I will have to cut it with something maybe even water to reduce viscosity but if it makes a good solvent for herbs then it could be what I'm looking for. Will be interesting to see how essential oils mixed in Propylene glycol behave.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-1-2017 at 19:45

Be aware that they have some major restrictions on propylene glycol use in the EU. In the US, you can almost legally sell it as a beverage.

GIDROZ
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-1-2017 at 22:01

how mercury xylocaine is prepared
GIDROZ
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-1-2017 at 22:02

how mercury xylocaine is prepared
D4RR3N
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 09:02

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
Be aware that they have some major restrictions on propylene glycol use in the EU. In the US, you can almost legally sell it as a beverage.

Why would they restrict it if it is non toxic, I read E-cigarette fluid is made from it.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 09:46

I really can't tell you the justification, but they restrict a lot of things on spurious grounds in the EU.

E-cigarette fluid is something that a lot of people would like to see outlawed.

gatosgr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 10:00

What are you extractring exactly? Are you selling these "tinctures"? Aren't there regulations concerning cosmetic products I am curious? On a side note there are toxic substances in herbs and fruits(cyanide coming to mind) so if you concentrate them you can harm yourself or others.

[Edited on 10-1-2017 by gatosgr]

Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 10:30

Quote:
I really can't tell you the justification, but they restrict a lot of things on spurious grounds in the EU.

Ah, so they're kind of like Eurasia's California. Half the stuff I own is known by the state of California to cause cancer, because some study showed that rats breathing in nothing but a fine mist of chemical X eventually developed cancer. Kind of funny though, how they specifically exempt all natural chemical from the labeling requirement.

Oh, what about esters? Personally, I'm fond of ethyl lactate, although I can't find it anymore. It has a fruity smell kind of like coconut, and most other esters have strong smells as well. I'm assuming you don't want the tinctures to smell too strongly.

What about natural oils, like medium-chain triglycerides, or oils containing them like coconut oil? Those seem pretty popular.

[Edited on 1/10/17 by Melgar]
gatosgr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 15:22

How do these tinctures work exactly I mean they can't pass the dermal barrier?

Dan Vizine
National Hazard

Mood: High Resistance

[*] posted on 13-1-2017 at 06:22

The easy way to get absolute ethanol.

$10/250 mL 96% Delivered

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ETHYL-ALCOHOL-ETHANOL-96-70-absolute...

[Edited on 13-1-2017 by Dan Vizine]

"All Your Children Are Poor Unfortunate Victims of Lies You Believe, a Plague Upon Your Ignorance that Keeps the Youth from the Truth They Deserve"...F. Zappa
gatosgr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-1-2017 at 08:51

Quote: Originally posted by Dan Vizine  
The easy way to get absolute ethanol.

$10/250 mL 96% Delivered

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ETHYL-ALCOHOL-ETHANOL-96-70-absolute...

[Edited on 13-1-2017 by Dan Vizine]

96% and 70% have the same price.:D

Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 13-1-2017 at 22:29

Omg what an awesome thread! Bet noooobody regrets reading this gem all the way through, ☹️, not giving anyone any shit in particular just the nature of beauracies.
Di propylene glycol is less vicious and can be prepared by esterifying propylene glycol..if you're intereested

gatosgr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-1-2017 at 00:58

How do you make dipropylene glycol and not tripropylene glycol e.t.c. ?

alking
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-1-2017 at 12:09

Why the need to distill a homebrew 3 times and filter 10? I especially don't understand the filtration. I would think one rough distillation to get it out of the mash would get you to ~50%+, a 2nd with a column should get you from 85-95.6%, filtering once should be sufficient, if things are getting through then you just need a better filter, use celite if necessary. I've never distilled from homebrew, but why would you need to filter at all even? Especially after 2+ distillations? After you have your 85-azeotropic EtOH if you want it any more concentrated I would dry it, filter off the drying agent (or store it over it), and there you go, ~99.5%+ anhydrous EtOH.
ave369
Eastern European Lady of Mad Science

[*] posted on 19-1-2017 at 13:09

The thing is it has only recently become publicly available not. For a long time it was banned and even now it is sold mostly for veterinary application. It is still banned in personal care products to my knowledge.

In my country, DMSO is freely sold in drugstores for the purposes of making tinctures, poultices and similar topical medicine. No one who followed proper recipes was poisoned.

Smells like ammonia....
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-1-2017 at 13:56

You can buy DMSO at health food stores in the U.S. It should be a fairly pure pharmaceutical grade but is probably not anhydrous.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top