Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Increasing Burn Rate Of Gunpowder..
ev_nak
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-1-2017 at 17:41
Increasing Burn Rate Of Gunpowder..

hi,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L8L0td6Krg

In this video there are several types of gunpowder differ in the burn rate ..
Note that there are types of gunpowder its burn rate much faster, as they disappear instantly ..
I would like to know what are additives that increase the rate of burn of gunpowder (Especially in smokeless powder)..

Is it possible to be extras such as chlorate or perchlorate salts or primary explosives or metal powders????
DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

Mood: In research

[*] posted on 8-1-2017 at 18:53

I am not a gunpower professional, but also one thing to consider is that different mixtures could behave differently when under pressure ( in a gun's combustion chamber)
ev_nak
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-1-2017 at 23:53

yes, D.A.R..
a=p^n ?
Marvin
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-1-2017 at 04:59

It will be a while before I can watch the video, but I'd like to point out that a faster powder does not automatically mean a better powder. If the pressure due to the powder spikes in the chamber it isn't a good propellent. Stability, shot to shot repeatability ease of cleaning the barrel are all as or more important than rate of combustion.

Trying to spice up a propellent or explosive by adding a chlorate or a primary explosive is a suicidally dangerous and naive thing to do.
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-1-2017 at 08:19

Black powder burns "faster" than smokeless powder yet isnt as good as a propellant.

Smokeless powders are either single base (nitrocellulose only), double base (nitrocellulose & nitroglycerin) or triple base (same as before + flash supressant).

Besides that, grain size and geometry is what will affect burn rate the most. The efforts put into that alone are worthy of reading.

Many tried to use chlorates instead of potassium nitrate in their black powder. The results mostly were eroded gun barrels and burned down buildings.
Metal powders would increase heat output and therefore shorten the life of the barrel aswell.
Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
9-1-2017 at 08:24
ev_nak
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-1-2017 at 11:51

i do not care about the the power of the propellant or other advantages, i need to generate a sudden high pressure in (open) chamber to propel a mass without the presence of restraint from the back..
so the powder should be all burned before any quantity of gas go out..
so in need the faster & faster..
Marvin
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 03:30

You are trying to fire a projectile from a tube that is open at the back?
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 04:11

Well, if you "need" but dont "care" about knowing what you are dealing with...
Think about this when you propel yourself to the ER.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 05:25

Engineer who uses the words "don't care" when asked about total power required for a process?

Would not want to live next door.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 11-1-2017 at 15:00

Quote: Originally posted by ev_nak  
i do not care about the the power of the propellant or other advantages, i need to generate a sudden high pressure in (open) chamber to propel a mass without the presence of restraint from the back..

If you introduce one or more ingredients into your smokeless powder that turns it into a high detonating explosive, you will for sure obtain the fast pressure change.
But the pressure will propell the front obstacle and the side walls at supersonic (between 2000 m/s and 10000 m/s) speed and they will change the consequences on their future vs conventional gunpowder propellant...
1°) The container will be pulverized or schredded to schrapnels
2°) The front object depending on its nature will be pulverized or displaced at such a high speed that it will behave like a plastic putty (see explosive formed projectiles, shaped charge liners) and aquire dangerous thick armour piercing abilities...

Any metal or hard material will thus lead to lethal fragments.

[Edited on 11-1-2017 by PHILOU Zrealone]

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
ev_nak
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-1-2017 at 14:53

Quote: Originally posted by Marvin  
You are trying to fire a projectile from a tube that is open at the back?
exactly
Chemetix
Hazard to Others

Mood: Wavering between lucidity and madness

[*] posted on 12-1-2017 at 15:02

A recoiless rifle, in other words. Open at the back but more a rocket engine than open tube?
ev_nak
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-1-2017 at 16:29

Quote: Originally posted by PHILOU Zrealone  
Quote: Originally posted by ev_nak  

If you introduce one or more ingredients into your smokeless powder that turns it into a high detonating explosive, you will for sure obtain the fast pressure change.
But the pressure will propell the front obstacle and the side walls at supersonic (between 2000 m/s and 10000 m/s) speed and they will change the consequences on their future vs conventional gunpowder propellant...
1°) The container will be pulverized or schredded to schrapnels
2°) The front object depending on its nature will be pulverized or displaced at such a high speed that it will behave like a plastic putty (see explosive formed projectiles, shaped charge liners) and aquire dangerous thick armour piercing abilities...

Any metal or hard material will thus lead to lethal fragments.

[Edited on 11-1-2017 by PHILOU Zrealone]

thank you
ev_nak
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-1-2017 at 16:42

I tried to fire a plastic ball from an open tube at the back by a few grams of industrial black powder ...it almost go 30 meters,then i repeat the experience by home made smokeless powder ..the burn was slow and did not move the ball only 20 cm with some plastic burning..

Go To Top