Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Is it possible to make CuCl2 from Chloroform or DCM?
artchemix
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-1-2017 at 16:51
Is it possible to make CuCl2 from Chloroform or DCM?

I found this reaction online but I dont know if it will work

2 CHCl3 + 5 CuO = CuCl2 + 4 CuCl + 2 CO2 + H2O

or if there is another way to make CuCl2 from Chloroform or DCM

[Edited on 10-1-2017 by artchemix]
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-1-2017 at 17:10

This would not be my choice of method for making CuCl<sub>2</sub>. I am sure this reaction is actually possible at elevated temperatures, but I think you'd get a different mix of products, including carbon monoxide and phosgene, and it would be hard to control.

Zandins
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-1-2017 at 22:35

Chloroform and DCM are very useful as solvents, and becoming increasingly harder to obtain, so I would advise you not to waste them to prepare something as simple as cupric chloride.
If you already have CuO (given in your equation), reacting it with muritic acid(HCl) will produce your CuCl2.
If you don't have any copper compounds, you can try an oxidation with H2O2:
Cu + 2HCl + H2O2 --> CuCl2 + 2H2O
Or you could produce cupric hydroxide by electrolysis of an inert electrolyte with a copper anode:
C:2H2O +2e- --> H2 + 2OH-
A:Cu-2e- --> Cu2+
Copper hydroxide is insoluble, and can be filtered and reacted with HCl to yield CuCl2.

Hope any of this helps!
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 07:59

Just a semantic note: you aren't producing CuCl<sub>2</sub> from the solvent; they don't contain any copper. It comes from the copper oxide.

But yes there are many simpler ways of making it. From an academic standpoint it's an interesting potential reaction, but would likely require special conditions as JJay mentioned.

[Edited on 1-10-2017 by MrHomeScientist]
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 08:13

This type of reactions sometimes is useful for making anhydrous, or near anhydrous metal chlorides. The use of CCl4 is preferred over the use of CHCl3, because the latter still gives a little water.

An example is making anhydrous CrCl3, using CCl4 (with CHCl3 I expect formation of some basic chromium chloride as well). The big downside of this type of reaction is that the chlorinated hydrocarbon usually is not converted all the way down to CO2, but partially, to COCl2. This makes these reactions very dangerous in a home setting. You also need strong heating, it does not work at room temperature.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
xfusion44
Hazard to Others

Mood: Nostalgic

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 21:09

@artchemix

Just put some copper metal into the (conc.) hydrochloric acid and wait for a few days. Copper will slowly oxidize and the resulting copper oxide will instantly react with HCl, to form CuCl2. You could probably use aquarium pump to speed up the oxidation. If you don't have enough time to wait (a few days or even weeks), you can also speed up the reaction by adding hydrogen peroxide.

[Edited on 11-1-2017 by xfusion44]

chornedsnorkack
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-1-2017 at 00:26

Chloroform notoriously undergoes autooxidation to HCl and COCl2.
Is there any way to place chloroform in contact with metal compounds such that the metal compounds reach with HCl as it is formed by chloroform autooxidation?
Are there any metal compounds that react with COCl2 dissolved in CHCl3, but do not react with CHCl3 itself?
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-1-2017 at 19:48

Copper metal (as small beads) is sometimes used as an HCl scavenger in alkyl halides sold commercially. Other compounds like K2CO3, silver, and certain mole sieves are also sometimes added to keep halides acid free.
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 18-1-2017 at 19:29

Per Atomistry.com on CuCl2 (link: http://copper.atomistry.com/cupric_chloride.html ), a historical extract from the literature, to quote:

"The anhydrous Cupric chloride, CuCl2, is produced by heating copper or cuprous chloride in chlorine, or by dehydrating the dihydrate by heating at 150° C. in an atmosphere of hydrogen chloride, or by addition of concentrated sulphuric acid to its aqueous solution. It is a brownish-yellow, hygroscopic solid, melting at 498° C., of density 3.054. It is readily soluble in water and organic solvents. Its heat of formation from its elements, calculated from the interaction of cupric oxide and hydrochloric acid, is given as 51.63 Cal. And 51.4 Cal. It is decomposed by heat into the cuprous salt and chlorine."
alking
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-1-2017 at 11:54

Quote: Originally posted by Zandins  
Chloroform and DCM are very useful as solvents, and becoming increasingly harder to obtain, so I would advise you not to waste them to prepare something as simple as cupric chloride.

Are they, and if so why? if you're in the states at least it's very easy to order tech grade DCM by the gallon. There's plenty of places to buy higher grades of both as well. I don't know how things were ~10 years ago or are trending in the future, but I don't see anything happening to these useful solvents, they have such a wide range of uses and are great as a general NP.

Go To Top