Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Anode Coating From BDD Powder?
jpsmith123
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-1-2017 at 07:12
Anode Coating From BDD Powder?

I see that boron doped diamond is available as "nanopowder" from this place:
http://www.us-nano.com/inc/sdetail/135 and it also seems to be available from manufacturers in China in micron size ranges (by way of alibaba).

So here's what I'm wondering: Does it seem feasible to use bdd powder to make a "baked on" anode coating using the simple method described by Beer in example XXI of patent# 3632498? (Basically he just mixes up a paste of mixed powdered oxides and alcohol, paints the substrate with it and bakes it).

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3632498.pdf

Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 25-1-2017 at 08:03

Does it conduct electricity?
jpsmith123
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-1-2017 at 10:34

Yes; the generally stated value of resistivity for BDD is in the range of 0.1 to 2 (Ω*cm), or something like that.
mysteriusbhoice
Hazard to Others

Mood: Became chemistry catboy Vtuber Nyaa

[*] posted on 27-4-2020 at 00:18

you would need to mix it up with something that can widthstand perchlorates and usually it would be some solution with BDD as suspended solids so that when the solution decomposes thermally it will precipitate crystals that hold the BDD in place and while it doesnt have to be condictive with the BDD alone being the one for that it must still resist chemical attack and wear and im guessing titanium and manganese nitrate mixed with BDD can potentially make a non PGM MMO electrode.

I have no access to BDD but right now but I do have some boron carbide which is also electrically conductive.

Alcohol will totally not work and it mostly likely is a surfactant or additive and not the actual binder.
That patent talks about basically what I said where they use something that will precipitate oxides when heating
mysteriusbhoice
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-5-2020 at 03:08

done and here u go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOi8Wr_EwMY
working BDD electrode onto gouging rods with copper just to check for permeability.
mackolol
Hazard to Others

Mood: Funky

[*] posted on 4-5-2020 at 03:35

What's the advantage of such electrode, is it specially resistant? And how did you manage to cover this copper electrode with BDD?
mysteriusbhoice
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-5-2020 at 20:46

well i used epoxy but the BDD cant be crushed further even with flat plate there are small chunks that scratch the plates and when i press down really hard with some sideways movement I hear pops due to the tiny diamonds shattering but it also pushes the powder all up in the air.

Also the coarse granules make the coating porous meaining it needs to be thicker in order for the solution not to reach the substrate but overall a super thin layer took 5 hours to finally fk up the substrate.

The concentration of solution will drop along the pore since gas generation will prevent any solution from reaching the inside.

The coating itself doesnt get damaged after that 1 test run.
mysteriusbhoice
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-5-2020 at 20:55

it would be better if i get manganese nitrate and mix it with BDD then thermally bake but rn i dont got the stuff
OR use electrode on Pb(CH3COO)2 which is about the best I can make tho i fking hate lead and am trying to avoid it.
I wonder if manganese acetate can make MnO2 in the same way as lead acetate when electrolyzed.
mysteriusbhoice
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-5-2020 at 21:14

as for crushing the bdd super fine since it comes in shiny granules like industrial diamonds do you can only crush them with shock and i used a mortar and pestle but if you have a sufficient amount of them then the action of them rubbing against eachother will allow them to get crushed.
Any1 here know of a better way to grind them up because overall the only thing I can exploit is their brittleness.
mysteriusbhoice
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-5-2020 at 08:32

turns out i have been scammed..
the coating passivated after some time only to discover that it wasnt BDD it was friggin Boron powder
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Best09B-Black-Boron-D...
below it says molecular formula B!!!

either that or BDD is not so good, atleast the way I applied it.
edit: NVM its actually seems to be working again probably just my PSU acting up or something yields of my test cell soon it will be awhile running at very low current as a test.

[Edited on 5-5-2020 by mysteriusbhoice]

[Edited on 5-5-2020 by mysteriusbhoice]
mysteriusbhoice
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-5-2020 at 00:23

also here
https://youtu.be/fcjSJHIuK7Q
I have no methlyene blue right now and no KCl left so the only option to test my electrode is to electrolyze saturated solution of KClO3 and in this video you can see immidiate product formation on the surface as precipitate.

edit: sadly I have been unsuccesful in applying to coating to a metal surface and seems to really love graphite more than anything.
The copper cladding of the graphite rods however was an exception so perhaps I need a really rough surface full of PITS on a metal sheet to make the coating adhere.
Anyne here have any idea to heavily produce pits in metal in a predictable manner?

[Edited on 7-5-2020 by mysteriusbhoice]

Go To Top