Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Insane Hazmat shipping requirements - CuSO4 vs P2O5 - which is considered more dangerous??
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-1-2017 at 21:32
Insane Hazmat shipping requirements - CuSO4 vs P2O5 - which is considered more dangerous??

So it looks that Fedex allows a max of 10 lbs of CuSO4 to be shipped and it has a higher hazmat rating than P2O5 which doesn't have a max shipping weight and requires less precautions to be shipped.

I've worked with CuSO4 in a lot of situations and it seems to be pretty stable, especially the pentahydrate. The anhyrous could potentially produce some heat if coming in contact with water, but I've never seen it fume or anything besides get warm.

P2O5 on the ohter hand, I've seen some pretty serious reactions with water and many other substances.

What could possibly be so dangerous about CuSO4 where P2O5 is overlooked?

Attachment: HazmatShippingGuide - FEDEX.pdf (2.4MB)
This file has been downloaded 662 times

Attachment: HazmatShippingTable - FEDEX.pdf (3.1MB)
This file has been downloaded 331 times

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-1-2017 at 22:09

Water + CuSO4 cuts very rapidly through aluminum. I think it may be somewhat more toxic, especially when both are diluted, although eating dry P2O5 by the spoonful can't be healthy. They put phosphoric acid in soft drinks, and too much copper will give you symptoms of heavy metal poisoning.

violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 29-1-2017 at 22:21

CuSO4 is an aquatic poison too. Id imagine that and the danger to Al materials would be most of the reason.

BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 30-1-2017 at 14:34

I could not find copper sulfate in either the hazmat shipping table or in the shipping guide. Could you point out where you saw it, maybe with a page number or a screen grab?

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-1-2017 at 18:09

Quote: Originally posted by BromicAcid  
I could not find copper sulfate in either the hazmat shipping table or in the shipping guide. Could you point out where you saw it, maybe with a page number or a screen grab?

It is in the last section (appendix like section that lists allowable weight amounts) of the ShippingGuide probably near page 140 or so. That is where the CuSO4 is listed.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 4-2-2017 at 06:30

Found it.

Notice the preface: "This Appendix lists materials and their corresponding reportable quantities (RQ) that are listed or designated as “Hazardous Substances” and are further regulated by other federal and state authorities."

This is not a real comparison between how hazardous a material is. As violet sin pointed out, it is an aquatic poison. If you spill it and it washes down a storm drain you could have problems. This is all about regulation, copper sulfate is common and they don't want large quantities of it washed down drains. They are not saying that it is more hazardous than phosphorus pentoxide in the traditional sense. Hazardous shipping regs are interesting things, looks at some of the f-codes, many of them are very specific and only apply to one industry or in some cases a single manufacturer. FedEx ships to all states and they need to comply with reams of regulations, all this is saying is that there is some state that has taking a stance to limit the potential for copper sulfate to get washed down the drains.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 6-2-2017 at 17:00

Also I think copper sulphate is a more popular chemical than P2O5 particularly among non-laboratory users (it's easy to handle and a cheap fungicide), so it is more likely to attract the attention of law enforcement, whereas P2O5 is mostly shipped around by established chemical companies whose internal procedures are already beyond regulatory requirements.

Go To Top