Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Temperature effect on drying solvents with salts - does temp effect speed or efficiency?
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-1-2017 at 02:47
Temperature effect on drying solvents with salts - does temp effect speed or efficiency?

I'm trying to find out if drying a solvent such as ethanol, methanol or acetone with a salt like MgSO4, CuSO4 or other salts works better if the solvent is at a higher temp or lower temp and if there is significant difference in speed at different temps. It seems that in most reactions there is some heat generated when the water is absorbed so IDK if that means a higher temp will help with the process or not.

[Edited on 30-1-2017 by RogueRose]
Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 30-1-2017 at 05:54

There are several factors that need to be considered. Higher temperatures increase brownian diffusion of water through the solvent and therefore increase the speed at which water might come into contact with the sequestering agent/trapped in a sieve. On the other hand, desiccants are driven kinetically, gaining water at low temperatures and releasing it at high temperatures. This temperature-moisture equilibrium plays a part in how dry a desiccant can get a solvent, with colder being more suitable. Further, the solvent and the desiccant compete with each other for the water. The desiccant mostly wins because by nature it has a high affinity for water, but there is always a small equilibrium that exists. Most desiccants also have various hydration levels, with the higher levels having less affinity for water than the lower, which leads to nonlinearity in the equilibrium, favoring an infinite amount of desiccant, which is obviously impractical. What is needed to attain maximum dryness is really related to how much you can add before mechanical losses become unacceptable, and how cold you can get it before the time taken to desiccate is impractically long.

This is why reactive desiccation (i.e. refluxing with Mg, Na, CaO, etc.) is used to get things truly dry, since conventional hydration reactions usually don't have enough reverse enthalpy to drive the dehydration to a useful level for water-sensitive applications. Even then, it can take hours of refluxing over sodium to achieve a few tens of ppm H2O.

I hate to leave you with a steaming mess of conceptual chemistry, but the answer is that a number of these factors will contribute to a set of conditions where a minimum water content can be achieved for each particular desiccant/solvent system. However, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Most common desiccants can easily achieve <1% H2O in modest amounts at room temperature in under an hour with stirring, which is fine for the vast majority of applications. In the practical laboratory, use of a particular desiccant is mainly related to chemical compatibility rather than drying power, for everything other than water-sensitive reactions.

[Edited on 30-1-2017 by Praxichys]

Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-1-2017 at 09:24

I think that buried in the above is a very important tip;

"Most common desiccants can easily achieve <1% H2O in modest amounts at room temperature in under an hour with stirring"

.... with stirring.

I recently learned how slow diffusion can be.

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 30-1-2017 at 10:37

Indeed. Absorption of water changes the morphology of crystalline compounds, generally increasing their volume. Because of this, desiccant particulates without agitation tend to both passivate and agglomerate, both processes drastically decreasing the active surface area, destroying desiccating efficiency.

Don't let it become that large, unreactive brick at the bottom of the flask!

Go To Top