Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Question on copper compounds
Aqua_Fortis_100%
Hazard to Others

Mood:

[*] posted on 12-4-2007 at 18:55

i tried the experiment yesterday.
putted about 10g of cutted copper wires in another disposable plastic cup and then about 5oml of household bleach solution, and to this i added slowly about 5g of NaOH pellets (slowly because of heat of dissolution of NaOH in water of bleach which can lead to NaClO decomposition into chlorate).the stuff fall to bottom (together with Cu wires) and did for some time a white "cloud" in the bottom of the cup,and small bubbles evolved.. i let then, reacting overnight and now, i see the progress:
almost NOTHING..
all the wires stay covered with a black coating layer of CuO and above the wires the pale green/brownish solution (maybe a suspension) and the inner sides of the cup covered with same black stuff,but much more thin than the wires..because of this layer, the reaction seemed to stop.so i tried remove the layer carefully brushing it with a small wooden stick, but was quite difficult to remove this stuff without removing out the wires of the solution..
well,i think which the real reaction woelen provided really work, but because of the materials used (e.g. the wires),the reaction really is too slow for pratical extration of the CuO..
in fact the results are only the black layer formed on the wires..

i thought if this worked i will do the same but using Ca(ClO)2 instead.. but now because of the experiment , i think which this can be a tremendous waste of precious Ca(ClO)2 ...
are there another good home prep for CuO , without using copper sulfate ?(e.g. using the best , cheap and widely avaliable copper wires and other Cu stuffs)

"The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them ignorant."
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-4-2007 at 19:07

Heat the copper in air, shaking or hitting it to knock the oxide off. Roast the collected oxide in air, stirring it, as it will be a mixture of Cu(I) and Cu(II) oxides when it falls off the bulk copper.
Aqua_Fortis_100%
Hazard to Others

Mood:

[*] posted on 12-4-2007 at 19:26

thanks , not_important ...
this is a basic procedure my mind do not cogitated try before!!! :(
only some questions i wish to kill: are there a catalyst(any salt or liquid compound) for this oxidation? and the best temperature?

again, thanks.

"The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them ignorant."
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 12-4-2007 at 19:32

Yeah...it's called acid.

Or ammonia (which is a bad idea to mix with bleach, but does dissolve copper).

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-4-2007 at 19:44

Dark red heat. This method gives a fairly coarse product, likely to still contain some Cu2O. It also takes a cheap source of heat, and is slow.

Air and aqueous acids, which I think is basically what you started this thread with, will dissolve copper. Bubbling air through the solution speeds it up, ammonium salts can help speed thing up but you more NH4 than copper; adding ammonia itself will also work but you have to keep adding it as some goes off with the air, some combines, and some gets oxidised. Use a soluble carbonate or bicarbonate to get the copper out of solution, much easier to work with than hydroxide, roast the basic copper carbonates in air to convert to the oxide. Don't put much effort into washing the carbonate precipitate, wash the oxide afterwards.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 12-4-2007 at 22:04

Ammonium salts need to be basic. If you can smell ammonia, then there are molecules of ammonia in solution which will complex with copper. Ammonium ions won't.

If you're using HCl, dilute the solution to light blue, or use H2SO4 or HNO3. A green solution gives the oxychloride regardless of the base used to precipitate (hydroxide or carbonate).

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top