Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Best/cheapest non-hazmat aquisition of mercury?
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 26-7-2014 at 17:35

If you want a small sample for an element collection, then go for it. But if you want to make mercury compounds, Praxichys is selling mercury for a much better price, though it's not 5N, that's not really necessary when making compounds.
Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 26-7-2014 at 17:46

Quote: Originally posted by gdflp  
If you want a small sample for an element collection, then go for it. But if you want to make mercury compounds, Praxichys is selling mercury for a much better price, though it's not 5N, that's not really necessary when making compounds.

That is correct. http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=29871&...

zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 5-8-2014 at 18:32

Old thermostats. An antique Mercury sphygmomanometer. Some of your older Sphygmos pack a lot of mercury. Keep your eye out for one. A garage sale, a thrift store, a flea market......such items appear in these places. Sometimes cheap. Good way to pick up a lifetime supply of Mercury.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 5-8-2014 at 18:57

A long time ago, several Mercury vials from tilt switches provided all the Mercury metal I have ever needed. Look over old steam heating boiler controls such as "vaporstats" or mercury filled contactors, quiet switches, older cars with tilt switches that turned on trunk or under hood lights when the hood or trunk lid were raised .

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Manifest
Script Kiddie Asshole

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-8-2014 at 11:03

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
A long time ago, several Mercury vials from tilt switches provided all the Mercury metal I have ever needed. Look over old steam heating boiler controls such as "vaporstats" or mercury filled contactors, quiet switches, older cars with tilt switches that turned on trunk or under hood lights when the hood or trunk lid were raised .

Tilt Switches are controlled here because the IRA make bombs with them.
careysub
International Hazard

Mood: Lowest quantum state

[*] posted on 6-8-2014 at 21:27

Quote: Originally posted by Manifest  
Quote: Originally posted by Bert  

Tilt Switches are controlled here because the IRA make bombs with them.

Hmm... about as pointless as Texas banning beakers.

There were around 10,000 IRA bomb attacks during "the troubles". I'm sure the run came to an end because they had no more tilt switches.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top