Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Storing CO2 for later use and possible uses in chem
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-2-2017 at 23:47
Storing CO2 for later use and possible uses in chem

I've done many experiments where CO2 is released in amounts adequate to try to capture and store it for later use (should I find a good use that is).

I don't think any storage method other than keeping it compressed is really viable due to space limitations (maybe fill an air mattress with it, lol :). I have a couple rotary compressors from old air conditioners, one that is 1/3 hp and another that is 1hp (this one is pretty big for a compressor!) It seems like it would be simple to pipe the CO2 into the vacuum side of the compressor and feed it into something like an old propane tank, which I have but it has not been cleaned or modified so IDK the conditions of them.

If anyone has used propane tanks for storage like this, is there anything that needs to be done to make sure there isn't any contaminates like rust (or other) on the inside?

I was thinking of making some filters like CaCl2 and possibly activated carbon in cannister/pipe filters to dry any gas either coming into the compressor or into the cylinder.

I would like to do some experiments with making methanol or maybe a CO generator down the road or maybe some other things that use CO2. I know CO2 can be used to make carbonates when bubbling it through hydroxides or oxides but other than that, I'm not sure what I could use CO2 for so I'm open to suggestions to that.

[Edited on 12-2-2017 by RogueRose]
Heavy Walter
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-2-2017 at 06:53

Hi
Depending where are you based on, CO2 is really cheap and easy to acquire.
Compressed form: for extinghishers, soda making and compressed gas guns.
Solid form: Ice cream stores usually have it and some would sell a bunch of "dry ice".
Recovering and compressing it from your reactions seems cumbersome and even risky if you cannot assure the tank pressure maximum.
A Halogenated Substance
Hazard to Self

Mood: Oxidizing due to extended exposure to oxygen

[*] posted on 12-2-2017 at 07:04

Quote: Originally posted by RogueRose  

I would like to do some experiments with making methanol or maybe a CO generator down the road or maybe some other things that use CO2. I know CO2 can be used to make carbonates when bubbling it through hydroxides or oxides but other than that, I'm not sure what I could use CO2 for so I'm open to suggestions to that.

You could always use CO2 to make carboxylic acids from alkylhalides in grignard reactions.

CO2 in grig. 2.gif - 2kB
tsathoggua1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Phosphorescent

[*] posted on 12-2-2017 at 14:22

I wouldn't bother attempting to recycle CO2. Its available in small cylinders from any welding store.
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 12-2-2017 at 17:20

You can store CO2 with bases...
NaOH + CO2 -H2O-> NaHCO3 + Na2CO3
Na2O + CO2 --> Na2CO3
CaO + CO2 --> CaCO3 precipitate

To set it free, only put acid on it...citric, acetic, chlorhydric, sulfuric, ...

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-2-2017 at 21:51

Quote: Originally posted by tsathoggua1  
I wouldn't bother attempting to recycle CO2. Its available in small cylinders from any welding store.

Well the thing is, if i'm doing something that is going to generate like 5-15lbs of CO2 (fermentation or making Sodium acetate for baking soda), I figure I can compress that in a propane tank unless there is something inherently wrong with a propane tank for this.

Long ago in college we had a little 5lb tank of CO2 for a kegerator and it was like $12-18 to fill it depending on which place we went. In town it was $18, 25 miles away it was $12.. IDK what prices are at welding shops or other places that fill these things (would have to buy the correct cylinder as well), but I would suspect they are a little cheaper than what we were spending (it was a captive market basically...)
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 12-2-2017 at 22:19

If you really are producing that much on a regular basis then my pitch would be for making your own dry ice.
What to do with several kilograms of dry ice you ask??
Ok we are back to square one.
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 15-2-2017 at 04:45

Quote: Originally posted by A Halogenated Substance  

You could always use CO2 to make carboxylic acids from alkylhalides in grignard reactions.

True, but your carbon dioxide must be very dry and reasonably pure (unlikely if you're generating it yourself then storing it in an old cylinder). Using dry ice is far easier and more common when preparing carboxylic acids from organometallic reagents.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 15-2-2017 at 14:05

Thermolyse of CaCO3 to CaO and CO2 is another solution in line with my previous proposal.
Alternatively...CaCO3 + solid citric acid, oxalic acid...

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 15-2-2017 at 16:05

Using triethanolamine is probably the best otc solution to store and reuse CO2. They are available in soap/cosmetic stores at a reasonable price. At low temperatures it will absorb CO2 forming a salt, and heating up the solution will release it back. Industrial systems work in that way. The CO2 in itself is relatively useless besides a few special reaction, tough.

I never asked for this.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 15-2-2017 at 16:17

You might have a process that will allow you to use the CO2 periodically.

For example
I have access to a pool product that contains both lithium and sodium salts. I presume hydroxides since it is alkaline and soluble.
If I had a container of this in solution, any time I was producing excess CO2 I could bubble it through to precipitate lithium carbonate and separate it from the Na.
No storage needed. Just direct it towards something useful.

You might have something similar that you could use the CO2 for.
urenthesage
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-2-2017 at 08:54

C'mon man. Baking soda and vinegar for crying out loud. Theres no reason on earth why you'd need to store it.

Go To Top