Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: THC Solvent Extraction Patent ?
microswitch
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-12-2006 at 07:53
THC Solvent Extraction Patent ?

In theory could one not extract THC through a non-polar solvent such as hexane and then gradually wash/refine the THC therein? The goal here would not be hash but, in theory, THC crystals (is this possible and if not why not?).

SWIM has used a very messy butane extraction process. The end result: the plant material containing the THC is completely dehydrated (and, seemingly, completely flushed of THC). The THC resin from a butane extraction forms as a thin, viscous layer after the butane "boils off" at room temperature.

Because butane is so volatile, another solvent would seem preferable.

Hexane, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexane), is said to be an ideal solvent for the non-polar THC molecule.

I found some inspiring patents on freshpatents.com and invite community discussion:

"[0001] This invention relates to tetrahydrocannabinols, and processes for their preparation. More particularly, it relates to processes for separation of individual tetrahydrocannabinols from mixtures of related compounds including different isomers of them. "

http://www.freshpatents.com/Separation-of-tetrahydrocannabin...

\"Conspiracies hatched in hell do not have angels as witnesses,\" Hough said.
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-12-2006 at 08:12

"THC crystals (is this possible and if not why not?)."
THC is a liquid at room temperature which rather sugests that you have not done a lot of research on this matter.
It's perfectly posible to prepare pure THC; chromatography would seem a good technique, directly, or as in that patent, as derivatives.

Why bother?
If you just want to get stoned then you don't need a pure product. If you have a legitimate research or educational need for pure THC you can buy it. If you are thinking of doing this just because it''s an interesting challenge then, while I aplaud the interest in practical chemistry, I think that getting something legal would be a more sensible goal.
BTW, is this topic permitted bythe boards rules?
microswitch
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-12-2006 at 08:29

For the fun of it, and also to better understand the properties of non-polar solvent extraction and purification techniques.

"BTW, is this topic permitted bythe boards rules?"

Board rules? I suppose I should be directed to read the rules...apologies for impropriety of the post if such is the case.

microswitch
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-12-2006 at 17:03

Quote:
Originally posted by unionised
THC is a liquid at room temperature which rather sugests that you have not done a lot of research on this matter.
It's perfectly posible to prepare pure THC; chromatography would seem a good technique, directly, or as in that patent, as derivatives.

Why bother?
If you just want to get stoned then you don't need a pure product. If you have a legitimate research or educational need for pure THC you can buy it. If you are thinking of doing this just because it''s an interesting challenge then, while I aplaud the interest in practical chemistry, I think that getting something legal would be a more sensible goal.

If you wanted to isolate the cannabinoids from a low THC containing sample and then isomerise(?) the non-psychoactive constituents into Delta-9-THC then this sort of isolation seems minimally necessary.

I have read on the net an article that suggests treating cannabidiol with H2SO4, then washing and extracting the final product to give Delta-9-THC. I don't know if anyone has heard anything on this, but it seems easy enough.

pantone159
National Hazard

Mood: desperate for shade

[*] posted on 29-12-2006 at 17:49

According to "Michael Starks", Marijuana Chemistry, the isomerization process is as follows:

If CBD (cannabidiol) is dissolved in alcohol, add HCl/H2SO4, about 1 ml 1 N acid per 100 ml solvent (used for c. 50 g Cannabis), then reflux 1 hour. Yield 60%.

If CBD is in nonpolar solvent, add p-toluenesulfonic acid or trifluoroacetic acid, then reflux 1 hour. Yield 90%.
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 30-12-2006 at 12:31

Quote:
Originally posted by unionised

Why bother?
The only questionable part of this thread is your completely unbased assumption that the extracted material is supposed to be used as a drug. The rest is just science.

Irgendwas is ja immer
roamingnome
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-12-2006 at 14:35

of greater scientific interest is the classification of the terpenes that make up the unique smell of the various plant genomes.

I ordered once from England a Hemp essential oil. It smelled more like hay then the piney fresh sent i was hopeing for.

A business partner and I once wanted to make a perfume line aptly named DANK, but securing tons of high quality material needed for esstional oil extraction is quite dumb.

Is it me or do i smell purple haze in here, oh wait its just me.
microswitch
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-12-2006 at 22:44

"of greater scientific interest is the classification of the terpenes that make up the unique smell of the various plant genomes."

SWIM can attest that the Delta-9-THC that was extracted from the plant sample had no smell. That "Piney" smell, so it would seem, is an unrelated compound. Delta-9-THC seems to be odorless after butane extraction.

unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 08:26

Happy new year.
"The only questionable part of this thread is your completely unbased assumption that the extracted material is supposed to be used as a drug. The rest is just science. "

Actually Organikum, I didn't assume anything of the sort. That's why I put the word "if" in that clause of the sentence. I then went on to mention legitimate uses in research etc. You seem to have assumed that these are related to its use as a drug but, there is no base for this assumption.
I remain unconvinced that talk of "crystaline THC" is legitimate science and I continue to hold the opinion that trying to explain to the police that you weren't making the stuff as a drug, but just "for the fun of it" will prove difficult
microswitch
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-1-2007 at 11:32

Regardless of the final state of extracted delta-9-THC (liquid, crystal, etc...) liquid chromatography appears to be the answer to the query.

The real question here is how to prepare a chromatographic extraction of a given sample. I don’t know of any OTC source of hexane, but I do know that many brands of starter fluid contain heptane. I wonder if heptane will substitute.

MIT Open course has an excellent selection of video’s demonstrating basic chemistry laboratory techniques. One video pertains to the topic at hand, namely chromatography.

http://www.ocw.cn/OcwWeb/Chemistry/5-301January--IAP-2004/St...

chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 18-1-2007 at 12:38
butane THC method

the THC extraction with butane is a critical fluid method and is an effective "one pass" procedure whereas other solvent extractions such as hexane require hours on a soxhlet. With butane, no nead to flash the solvent on the rotovap either. just set the mixtrure out on a dish and voie la
bio2
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-1-2007 at 12:46

....... I don’t know of any OTC source of hexane,..........

White Gas solvent at the hardware store is hexanes
with some pentanes.

Distill it from automotive fuel..

[Edited on 18-1-2007 by bio2]

Go To Top