Step 2: HgICH3 and LiCH3 yield Hg(CH3)2 and LiI

Method B:

2CH3OH + Hg ===> (CH3)2Hg + H2O2

Method C:

HgCl2 + 2CH3OH ===> (CH3)2Hg + 2HCl + O2

Method D:

Hg2Cl2 + 4CH3OH ===> 2(CH3)2Hg + 2HCl + H2O + O3

Method E:

Also made by sodium amalgam and methyl iodide or dimethyl sulfate in anhydrous ether or THF:

2MeI + Hg0 + 2 Na0 ----> Me2Hg + 2 NaI

2Me2SO4 + Hg0 + 2 Na0 ----> Me2Hg + 2 MeSO4-Na+

Method F:

Methyl Hydrazine and Mercury oxide in Diethyl Ether:

2CH3NHNH2 + HgO = (CH3)2Hg + NH3 +NO

Method G:

Methyl Iodide and Mercury in sunlight irradiation:

2CH3I + Hg = (CH3)2Hg + I2

Method H:

Dimethymercury can be prepared by the reaction of an excess of Alkyl Magnesium Bromide with Mercuric Chloride in Ethyl Ether.

Method I:

CH3Hg + Hg = (CH3)2Hg

These are some methods to synthesise Dimethylmercury, I need your opinion about them.

Also, I need your e-mail addresses for further discussion if you can give.
woelen
Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 17-12-2006 at 03:35

Method B, C, D certainly will not work. You definitely won't get such strongly oxidizing products as those reactions suggest.

Methods A and E may work. I certainly expect you to get some Me2Hg.

Btw, why do you want this compound? It is increadibly toxic and even a single drop on your skin may make you seriously ill, or may even lead to death. This definitely is not something I would like to do at home.

Quote:
Also, I need your e-mail addresses for further discussion if you can give.

This is a forum. Any further discussion is here in this thread, not in your mailbox!

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at http://www.oelen.net/science
garage chemist
chemical wizard

[*] posted on 17-12-2006 at 05:02

Only the grignard method is described in form of a synthesis (Brauer).
In Brauer, a solution of ethylmagnesium bromide (use methylmagnesium iodide for dimethylmercury) is reacted with HgCl2 and the resulting solution fractionated through a column to isolate the diethylmercury.

Dimethylmercury is nearly impossible to make outside of a laboratory specially equipped for handling such incredibly dangerous toxins without killing yourself.

www.versuchschemie.de
Das aktivste deutsche Chemieforum!
Blind Angel
International Hazard

Mood: Meh!

[*] posted on 17-12-2006 at 07:09

Isn't that substance who killed one of the most proeminent mercury reseacher? by skin contact?

/}/_//|//) /-\\/|//¬/=/_
My PGP Key Fingerprint: D4EA A609 55E4 7ADD 8529 359D D6E2 33F6 4C76 78ED
Chemist514
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 17-12-2006 at 08:23

Quote:
Originally posted by Blind Angel
Isn't that substance who killed one of the most proeminent mercury reseacher? by skin contact?

Yes it is. went through her nitrile gloves and soaked into her skin. made her completly insane before various organs really failed.
I hope hes one carefull chap... and prolly should keep the conversation to personal messages so 5-6 lil cools dont get killed trying to be witty.
All the best folks.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 17-12-2006 at 10:57

Someone who list a bunch of so completely irrational reactions pretending as they would actually work or were actually got from literature, is certainly not a person having enough chemical knowledge nor capable of handling such a toxic substance. Furthermore, being registered for several years at this forum should be enough to know that this is a forum and thus asking for "e-mail addresses for further discussion" can only mean he has some evil intentions.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
iamthewaffler
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-12-2006 at 11:27

Maybe in India they just throw a whole bunch of compounds containing the necessary elements together and get exactly what they want? Because it definitely doesn't work that way where I'm from, and those reactions seem like someone was playing "pin the tail on the reactant."

\"…\'tis man\'s perdition to be safe, when for the truth he ought to die.\"
Dr. Beaker
Hazard to Others

Mood: Shaken, not stirred

[*] posted on 17-12-2006 at 11:49

detritus?
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-12-2006 at 11:50

There's a story that a group of 3 researchers at Oxford Uiversity dropped a bottle of dimethyl mercury. They stopped to clean it up (this was well before the days of "hazmat teams".
One man died; one went mad and one went on to be the chancellor of the University. I wouln''t like to work with those odds.
Nobody should be asking about such nasty chemicals here. If you don't know enough to ask a sensible question then you really shouldn't even try to make it. There are more sociably acceptable ways to comit suicide.
Pyrovus
Hazard to Others

Mood: heretical

[*] posted on 17-12-2006 at 21:40

I really cannot see why any non-suicidal person would want to make something as horrible as dimethyl mercury; unless they were motivated by malicious intent (as dimethyl mercury would make a very nasty chemical weapon, after all). I just hope hbx53's post was only out of theoretical interest.

[Edited on 18-12-2006 by Pyrovus]

Never accept that which can be changed.
Chris The Great
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-12-2006 at 22:19

He PM'd a bunch of people over at RS with the exact same post. I'd toss it to detrious, since he obviously has no chemistry knowledge, no intent to do any research on his own, and I hate it when people bother me personally with their unchecked stupidity.

Anyone who think "2CH3OH + Hg ===> (CH3)2Hg + H2O2" can work and wants to make dimethylmercury isn't worth anyones time IMO.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
hbx53
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-12-2006 at 09:06

I had sent whatever my searches on Internet makes me to understand, this is only for educational discussion, if you think I am wrong then, correct me. If you think you could not correct me, then accept me as correct.
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-12-2006 at 11:03

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm not going to discuss making such dangerous and lethal chemicals with some stranger who obviously doesn't know 'jack *' about them, and has a single digit to their posting credit. :o
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 18-12-2006 at 12:18

Add also: Who avoids explaining why he needs this terrible poison, who just changed the location tag from India to Indonesia, who asks in a forum to discuss such things by e-mail, who claims of having obtained idiotic information of the type "Hg2Cl2 + 4CH3OH ===> 2(CH3)2Hg + 2HCl + H2O + O3" from the internet…

I add my vote for Detritus!
Maya
National Hazard

Mood: molten

[*] posted on 18-12-2006 at 12:40

Shouldn't this guy have gone to the www.IWantNerveGasNowForum.com to ask this question???

Go To Top