Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Achtung baby: hasta la vista!
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-2-2017 at 07:54
Achtung baby: hasta la vista!

I'm back!

Firstly, thanks to all U2U well wishers, I will try and respond to all your messages individually.

Secondly: legal troubles. I'm not completely out of the woods yet but know that the only charge that will be levelled against me is a minor one that carries a fine. Not wanting to compromise any ongoing legal process (until conviction and sentencing) I will not elaborate further but will do, once this is all done and dusted.

Thirdly: medical problems.

After a very painful calvary of about 5 months, I was finally diagnosed with mesenteric ischemia and on (last) Tuesday stented up. I was hospital discharged on Wednesday. The condition has now disappeared and I'm pain-free and live to fight another day.

On the plus side, this health scare has made me go cold turkey on a life long fag habit, so now I'm smoke free too! I recommend any smoker to take the step: stop paying for slow suicide!

I'll now take questions... :D

[Edited on 17-2-2017 by blogfast25]

Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 17-2-2017 at 08:00

No questions from me, but glad you're better and the news is positive! Welcome back!
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-2-2017 at 08:04

Thanks, Amos.

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 17-2-2017 at 08:12

It's good to have you back! And with clean arteries too!

[Edited on 17-2-2017 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Dan Vizine
National Hazard

Mood: High Resistance

[*] posted on 17-2-2017 at 08:23

Hey G,

Nice to see ya! Glad you are pain-free. Good on you for kicking, wish my SO would wise up.

Some day you'll have to tell us the inciting events of your legal dust-up, that is, if they told you. In the US, you sometimes don't find out for a while...I know.

Anyway, I expected only a fine in your case. These days, if the powers that be have to cordon, dispose, or bring in the hazmat guys, they aren't the ones who pay. I hope it isn't too steep. Good luck!

[Edited on 2/17/2017 by Dan Vizine]

"All Your Children Are Poor Unfortunate Victims of Lies You Believe, a Plague Upon Your Ignorance that Keeps the Youth from the Truth They Deserve"...F. Zappa
Jstuyfzand
Hazard to Others

Mood: Learning, Sorta.

[*] posted on 17-2-2017 at 08:23

Good to hear!
I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work again!
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 17-2-2017 at 08:26

Glad to hear that you're back and in good health. There was a presence here missing without you;) I know there's one person who will be thrilled to hear the news *cough*<b>aga</b>*cough*

pantone159
National Hazard

Mood: desperate for shade

[*] posted on 17-2-2017 at 08:48

Welcome back!
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-2-2017 at 08:58

Thanks all!

@Dan: full legal ordeal details will follow once the court case is closed.

It's important, in particular for UK chemhobbyists, that people here know about it. Until then, radio silence though...

MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-2-2017 at 10:32

Glad to see you survived! I await the details with bated breath. Sorry to see you get embroiled in legal troubles, but it sounds like it turned out better than it could have.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-2-2017 at 10:44

@Mr HS:

It could have been nasty, indeed. That's part of the ordeal: having to put one's faith and fate in a deeply imperfect system.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-2-2017 at 11:52

Just learned that I'll be charged on 21/02/17, so that should then be the end of it.

Corrosive Joeseph
National Hazard

Mood: Cyclic

[*] posted on 17-2-2017 at 12:02

This is FANTASTIC news.

IMO Blogfasts absence has been a huge loss to the forum.

I think we should have a party......................... :D

/CJ

Being well adjusted to a sick society is no measure of one's mental health
Marvin
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-2-2017 at 12:37

Welcome back blogfast, all the best for health and legal issues.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-2-2017 at 13:51

Good to have you back, blogfast25. I'm sure aga will be overjoyed :)

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 17-2-2017 at 14:40

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 17-2-2017 at 16:10

Rock on man, glad to see ya back :) and welcome news on the smoking, I my self am 2 months free of nicotine in any form, no gum or nada. Feeling great also, as I'm sure you will be too.

2-4 cheap cigars (black n mild) per day was doing me no favors. Solid truth.

Regardless, looking forward to your renewed presence here :)

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-2-2017 at 16:14

Thanks also Marvin, JJay, j_sum and violet sin! Appreciated.

@violet sin: I'm currently vaping. Reported by the BMA to be 95 % safer than actual smoking, it's a great start to kick the carcinogenic habit. Ultimately I want to be nico-free but for now this works very well for me.

[Edited on 18-2-2017 by blogfast25]

phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 17-2-2017 at 16:23

As someone that is performing cigarette addiction research, you have my utmost respect. Be -very- proud of quitting. A non-smoker myself, I've only come to appreciate the level of dedication it takes to kick cigarettes recently. While your abdominal pain and surgery probably felt more immediately threatening, in the longer term quitting smoking is by FAR the best thing you could have done for your health.

Looking forward to your account of your 'legal troubles' when the time comes. Your limited statements fortunately seem to indicate that the authorities have been at least open to the possibility that you do not present an immediate danger to society. I can understand their, let's say... caution. After all, they did not know who they were dealing with at first. Let's hope that if you have to pay a fine it will be proportional and not have a life-changing impact.

Edit: that '95% safer' statement actually came from Public Health England and is based on a paper by David Nutt. It has been criticised a lot, but whatever the real % will turn out to be, virtually all studies agree that vaping is 'a lot' less unhealthy than smoking.

[Edited on 18-2-2017 by phlogiston]

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-2-2017 at 16:47

I am currently working as a consultant for the vaping industry. I have never tried it personally and think it is probably unhealthy but I hear a lot of tempting sales pitches, and it is hard to turn down paying clients... although I did turn down an apparently legitimate cannabis contract a while back.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-2-2017 at 16:55

Quote: Originally posted by phlogiston  

Edit: that '95% safer' statement actually came from Public Health England and is based on a paper by David Nutt. It has been criticised a lot, but whatever the real % will turn out to be, virtually all studies agree that vaping is 'a lot' less unhealthy than smoking.

Considering that a tobacco based nicotine delivery system is a ludicrous way of dispensing a bit of nicotine with a lot of 'crap', mostly toxic stuff (tar and various aromatics), the harm reduction by using a vaping propylene glycol/nicotine system sounds very, very plausible to me.

Quitting is hard. It takes a strong motivator and in most cases some support (substitute, like nico patches, spray, gum or e-liquid).

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
I am currently working as a consultant for the vaping industry. I have never tried it personally and think it is probably unhealthy but I hear a lot of tempting sales pitches, and it is hard to turn down paying clients... although I did turn down an apparently legitimate cannabis contract a while back.

If you have credible, evidence based informations re. the dangers of vaping, I'd like to hear them. Please provide authorative links. Thank you.

In defence of vaping:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/sifting-the-evidence/201...

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2017/02February/Pages/Long-term-vapin...

http://www.topherfield.net/vaping-safer-than-smoking/

phlogiston
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-2-2017 at 17:12

@JJay, You probably can't tell but it would be interesting if you could share what kind of questions they are asking you.

Current evidence indicates vaping is significantly less unhealthy than smoking tobacco cigarettes. Even if it is indeed probably not as healthy as not-vaping in an absolute sense, it does seem to offer opportunities for some smokers to quit, and the health risks associated with vaping are -much- lower. Some smokers find that it does not provide a satisfactory substitute for smoking.

Governments will hesitate to promote it. They fear that e-cigs may be a gateway for kids. If kids become addicted to nicotine, they may become smokers eventually. Authorities will have to balance the potential benefits to smokers wanting to quit against the potential (and poorly known) risk of raising another generation of nicotine addicts. Not an easy task.

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-2-2017 at 17:22

Quote: Originally posted by phlogiston  
The main concern of governments is that vaping will turn out to be a gateway for kids to become addicted to nicotine and become smokers eventually. It is not easy for them to balance the potential benefits to smokers wanting to quit against the potential (and poorly known) risk of raising another generation of nicotine addicts.

Combine this with the potential loss of revenue from tobacco taxes and Gummints have a clear motive to denounce tax-free consumption of nicotine. Gummints have very ambiguous relationships to toxic but highly taxed products like alcohol and tobacco.

phlogiston
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-2-2017 at 17:36

They do indeed.
But it is not trivial to asses the net impact on the gummints budget. Taxes. Employment. Smokers die young.
You speak Dutch, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8mrAiRBmwA

-----
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-2-2017 at 17:45

I deal mainly with the sales department on issues related to attracting investors.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top