Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Dodgy chinese glass transactions
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 20-2-2017 at 22:44
Dodgy chinese glass transactions

I have just been going over my eBay purchases and PayPal account and trying to reconcile orders with dollars paid. I have had a few items that have (a) arrived broken and had money refunded, (b) cancelled by the seller due to being out of stock (c) taken an unreasonable length of time to arrive.

• Chasing up these items on ebay has in several cases brought up the message: "This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing." Which makes things awkward.
  • In one case I bought three items; one was broken and requested a refund. I was refunded twice and another unrelated order was cancelled. This left me out of pocket a few dollars.
  • In another case an item arrived broken. I requested a refund and repurchased that item. They refunded twice and cancelled my second order. I ended up purchasing a third later.
  • In a couple of cases refunds were made to a different credit card from the one used for the purchase. (How does that happen Mr PayPal?)
  • Some of my cancelled orders had tracking numbers which led to a dead end after "arrival" in Australia.

And in the meantime the window to give feedback on several of these items has expired.

The thing is that several eBay identities were involved: beautyzzz2009, delhanway2009, bg27cyf, biwecity, and byme_925. All transactions went through the same account: HONG KONG YEE CHEN TECHNOLOGY LIMITED

Figuring out what happened is like tracing a spider web of purchases, refunds, incorrect refunds, cancellations and miscommunications through several sellers. And of course the transactions are for items with the same name and often the same date which makes unravelling this even more difficult. I doubt it is actually worth the effort to track down the couple of dollars that I am short.

I don't think there is any ill intent here but there is a lot of getting wires crossed at their end. The glassware itself has been unbelievably cheap and pretty good for what it is.

The take-home message here is to be aware (if you are not already) that some sellers have multiple eBay identities and mistakes happen.
Now that I can recognise this group of identities I will limit myself to one purchase at a time and refrain from additional purchases until the product has actually arrived.

I thought I would share this information and lament the fact that I am not Extractions and Ire and errors have not at this stage landed me with boxes of free glassware.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-2-2017 at 23:06

I got a short path condenser from biwecity a while back, and the order turned out OK, but the item wasn't high quality. I find that I am generally disappointed in anything shipped by Yee Chen.

My lab jack from cskwin2015 arrived bent and in a state of partial disassembly with no coaster and has required numerous minor repairs like tightening bolts. I've been thinking about leaving neutral feedback over it but haven't really decided what to do yet.

[Edited on 21-2-2017 by JJay]

j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 21-2-2017 at 00:03

The item ordered three times was a short path condenser. And I will end up with two: one with a broken stem and so not suitable for all jobs. For 20 bucks, I am not complaining. But you do get what you pay for and that includes the professionalism of the service.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-2-2017 at 00:22

I suspect that Yee Chen resells returned items or items that didn't meet quality standards.

I'm curious as to how much glassware is manufactured in Hong Kong.

wg48
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-2-2017 at 02:13

Yes its crazy that the ebay id or listing frequently (almost always) does not correspond to the paypal entry or the sender info on the packaging.

After one item had not arrived after two months the sender claimed to have resent it again. He asked me not to accept the second one if it arrived. How would I know which item was his by looking at the packaging info? Incidently only one arrived eventually.

[Edited on 21-2-2017 by wg48]
diddi
National Hazard

Mood: Fluorescent

[*] posted on 21-2-2017 at 02:23

that's why I only use 1 supplier

Beginning construction of periodic table display
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 21-2-2017 at 02:41

Quote: Originally posted by diddi  
that's why I only use 1 supplier

That's what I was doing evidently. I just didn't know it.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-2-2017 at 03:17

If I'm ordering a really important piece of glassware from China, I try to stick with Nanshin, Getty, ReacWare, etc. Deschem is honest and trustworthy and excellent at shipping, and their items (in my experience) are always functional, but their equipment isn't generally quite as high quality as some of their competitors', and Deschem's prices are generally slightly higher. If I order something from Nanshin, it might arrive in a burlap sack surrounded by a thin veneer of Visqueen after sitting in U.S. customs for a month and a half (and Nanshin's items are typically opened by Chinese customs it seems), but I expect a high quality item for cheaper than a similar, decent but slightly lower grade one from Deschem (which would arrive in less than a week encased in enough styrofoam to allow dropping it off of a five story building).

[Edited on 21-2-2017 by JJay]

Microtek
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-2-2017 at 12:43

The only problems I've ever had with Chinese glassware, is that it is sometimes not packaged in a sufficient amount of protective wrapping. For this reason, I usually buy two (or three) of everything, to improve the odds that one arrives intact. However, when I complain about it they are always extremely anxious to make it up to me, with refunds or resending the order free of charge.
Recently, when I ordered a long column, I asked them to ensure proper packing, and it arrived in a very sturdy styrofoam box with bubble wrap inside instead of the usual soft cardboard box.
adk
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 21-2-2017 at 13:10

Thanks for the heads-up. Many China or Hong Kong based sellers are actually trading companies rather than manufacturers. This is the case on Alibaba, eBay and other such sites. Deschem have been pretty good in the past however my recommendation is to go with American, British, Czech or German (e.g. Lenz, Isolab, Simax, Pyrex UK, Chemglass, Schott Duran) glassware if you're concerned about quality.

Most of the glass products I have seen, glass that is made in China is dodgy either in manufacturing or the overall glass quality. A number of my customers have had problems with Chinese sellers when buying glassware from eBay or Aliexpress and others have had varying levels of satisfaction with the products, in one case - a fire resulted from a flask cracking at a modest temperature (~100 C). That's not to say that there are not legitimate, honest sellers making good products - but personally, I don't take any chances, especially since I handle a lot of expensive, pyrophoric and air sensitive materials.

If you're after reactors, custom pieces or large scale glassware; speak to Asynt Ltd. in the UK or Buchi Glas Uster in Switzerland. I have visited both companies (in December 2016) and their workmanship and product quality is unsurpassed.

Also, Glassco from India make great products for very reasonable prices - I have sold a huge amount of their volumetric glassware in the past and only had one return (slightly wonky base on a measuring cylinder).

If you're in Australia, Helm Australia are a great source for cost effective glassware from a variety of manufacturers. You might be surprised at the price of their products; predominately Lens Laborglas from Germany but also TGI and a few other brands. Peter and Chad are friendly and incredibly helpful.

http://www.helmaus.com.au/

A
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-2-2017 at 13:54

IMHO, Pyrex is overrated. I'd take a Chinese GG-17 flask from Nanshin over a Pyrex one any day.

Schott Duran I believe is on a higher tier of quality, but equipment gets extremely expensive on that level.

adk
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 21-2-2017 at 14:07

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
IMHO, Pyrex is overrated. I'd take a Chinese GG-17 flask from Nanshin over a Pyrex one any day.

Schott Duran I believe is on a higher tier of quality, but equipment gets extremely expensive on that level.

Almost all my glass is made by Lenz Laborglas. It's cheaper than original Duran, but is made from Duran glass (all components are marked with the Duran logo) and they have a very good range of products (and a custom glass division). They are even on Otto Schott Strasse in Wertheim... :)

I only have Pyrex UK volumetric flasks, so can't comment on anything else.
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 21-2-2017 at 15:06

I am a fan of Reacware although I have purchased from Nanshin and Deschem as well and not been disappointed. All of my "important" glass comes from these suppliers.

But I think there is some benefit in having a versatile kit with a variety of adapters and fittings -- things that might not be used often but that will be really useful on occasions. I also know my high-break-rate items (thermometer adapters in my case). And so for these low use and semi-disposable things I don't mind going for the cheap options. If something comes up on eBay I will grab it. Often the quality is low but I suspect that will be the case before I buy it.

This particular time I have had a run of breakages in transit and out of stock items and the process of fixing these up has not gone smoothly. So I am just raising awareness of this particular issue for those like me who supplement their kit with bargain basement components.
Archenemy_6
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-2-2017 at 18:17

I'm very new to the whole chemistry and glassware but I've ordered direct from Laboy's website and one or two things from them on amazon. The shipping time wasn't too bad coming from China. The packaging was great and after seeing it I wouldn't worry about anything coming in broken from them. As far as quality goes I've never really personally seen any high quality glassware and have no frame of reference but it seems to be pretty decent especially for the price.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-2-2017 at 04:09

I only have one Laboy item, a Claisen adapter, but it's high quality. I actually bought it from a U.S. distributor after my Claisen adapter from pricechopper2011 cracked under mechanical stirring, and I had assumed it was made in the USA until I learned that Laboy is a Chinese glassmaker.

anewsoul
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-2-2017 at 10:47

I like Laboy, I've had good experiences with them.

They had a free shipping offer on their website but the code wasn't working so I emailed them and they told me the offer was past and the site wasn't updated but they gave me a free shipping code anyways. I have a thermometer adapter, dean-stark trap, 500 mL flask with a stopper, and a 150 mL fritted glass filter funnel from them and all of it is good quality and packaged nicely.
NeonPulse
Hazard to Others

Mood: Isolated from Reality! For Real this time....

[*] posted on 22-2-2017 at 16:51

The sellers listed by Jsum1 are thee same group I get things from mostly. They do tend to get the items delivered on time a lot of the time but not always. I have had problems with ordering 24/29 joints and receiving 24/40 instead. This is a pain to send back and wait for the correct size to be sent instead. I wonder about their attitude to sending stuff poorly packed as I had gotten a hollow glass stopper very well packed in bubble wrap and dense foam and upon opening it it was broken.to break this it would take a fair amount of force but It was so well packed with no visible damage to the post bag that I think they packed a broken one or at least cracked. 3 Attempts had been made to get an alcohol hydrometer with each time it was glass dust on arrival.
A

Where there is a will
there is a way.

AllCheMystery!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWbbidIY4v57uczsl0Fgv7w?vie...
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-2-2017 at 18:22

I have had 24/40 and 24/28 instead of the ordered 24/29 pieces arrive from China... I don't care :P
I mix 24/29 and 24/40, so far not a problem.

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 23-2-2017 at 11:39

I've seen Chinese ebay sellers who will give a huge range estimate for delivery, like two weeks to three months. This isn't uncommon, and usually delivery is on the lower end of the estimate, but every once in a while, one will go the entire three months. I suspect this is part of some roundabout way of getting a no-interest loan in US dollars for 2-3 months, but I have no proof. Another apparent scam is sellers who offer a great price, but then never actually ship the goods, hoping in the two-month window, you'll forget about it. They always immediately refund your money if you bring it up, but I'll bet a lot of people just forget about the order. That might be why there are so many Chinese suppliers with different names but identical products and form letters; they build up their feedback, then milk the account's reputability to make a few dollars here and there. Just a theory, but there does seem to be a pattern.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-2-2017 at 12:13

I suppose that may be true,
but when I buy more expensive items with a genuine tracking code and watch the progress, typically;
within hours of my order a courrier is booked
the next day the item is physically posted,
the parcel bounces around two to five shipping centres for two or three days,
one day later arrived in UK
one or two weeks later I receive it.

So in my experience - a week to get from stockist in China to UK - two weeks UK internal post :(

Also, a few weeks ago I found my post person stuffing a parcel through my letterbox :mad: no attempt to knock or ring.
It was my 500ml 250W heating mantle element :o
I caressed it back into shape ... no problem
but this long winded moan is because I suspect that most of my problems with post from China have been domestic.

[Edited on 23-2-2017 by Sulaiman]

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
ThisISmyUsername
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-2-2017 at 11:37

Quote: Originally posted by Microtek  
The only problems I've ever had with Chinese glassware, is that it is sometimes not packaged in a sufficient amount of protective wrapping. ...Recently, when I ordered a long column, I asked them to ensure proper packing, and it arrived in a very sturdy styrofoam box with bubble wrap inside instead of the usual soft cardboard box.

Hi, post #1 for me.
Bought my set from http://www.ebay.ca/usr/sam10086
(Ding Guochun, Shipped from; Changshu Deschem glassware factory)
Packed in foam boxes (2), and enough bubble wrap on each piece to keep lots of kids poppin' for awhile, still unused, but the physical quality is very good.
I think this is my kit here 1000ml 24/40

Will buy from this seller again for sure.

[Edited on 26-2-2017 by ThisISmyUsername]
Elemental Phosphorus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 14:16

Anyone know about Sam10086? I ordered a distillation set, and it arrived fine. Does anyone else here have any experience with their glass? I saw multiple sellers selling the same items, and was contemplating who to buy from. I think all of the others are covered here. (For reference, it was the 1000ml 24/40 full set)
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 14:25

Sam10086 is Deschem, right?

Corrosive Joeseph
National Hazard

Mood: Cyclic

[*] posted on 22-11-2017 at 09:14

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  

I mix 24/29 and 24/40, so far not a problem.

@ Sulaiman - Could you elaborate on this please.........?
Is there anything worth knowing about fitting these different length joints together...........?

I have read conflicting information here. Some members state 'there is no problem', while others say one size fits the other but not vice versa

I also have some 24/29 glass and when I look on eBay at some Chinese sellers, it seems that the 24/29 kits have all been replaced by 24/40 kits.

But I would much prefer a 24/29 kit but these don't seem to be available anymore from the usual suppliers.

I would like to order soon but don't want to make a wrong decision.........

Comments and criticism welcome please.

/CJ

[EDIT 1] - Taken from another thread -
"One more point. The shoulder/lip of several of the mail joints is below the shoulder/lip of the female joint. So the it would be impossible for the Keck clips to hold them together. In addition the Keck clips do not fit the mail joint they are too big. Are different standards for the clips. Everything was purchased as 24/40 or 24/29."
https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=42...

[EDIT 2] - Stupid typo and woeful grammar.......!!

[Edited on 22-11-2017 by Corrosive Joeseph]

[Edited on 22-11-2017 by Corrosive Joeseph]

Being well adjusted to a sick society is no measure of one's mental health
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 22-11-2017 at 10:46

The taper is the same with 24/29 and 24/40. My glass is a mix of the two and I have no problems, Personally, I only order from Nanshin and Deschem. I have gotten broken stuff a couple times and have gotten prompt replacements.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

Pages:  1  

Go To Top