Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: re: wanted - Acetic Anhydride
jamit
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-2-2017 at 12:59
re: wanted - Acetic Anhydride

Does anyone have any acetic anhydride for sale or willing to trade it for sodium metal or mercury metal or sodium sulfide.

I can buy it for 125.00 for a gallon. anyone willing to go half with me? I live in the US - midwest. thanks.
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 23-2-2017 at 13:40

Jeez, jamit........Not sure very many people here can help you. Don't think it is illegal to own or make, but selling might require a Chemical Handlers License.

All kinds of fairly inoffensive chemicals are listed. But, it is possible Acetic anhydride, is one that government folks actually care about.

Later...... Well, I checked. And, I stand corrected.

The material is being offered for sale on E-bay.

Not as cheap as you would like it, but it is out there.

[Edited on 23-2-2017 by zed]

[Edited on 23-2-2017 by zed]
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 23-2-2017 at 14:46

I can make it from GAA and P2O5 on silica gel, but that's a pretty good price considering the amount of work it is the way I mentioned. How far midwest? I travel a few times a year near Erie, PA and Cleveland, OH. I don't really have any use for it, other than to test the reactivity of the stuff I have, but it's one of those chemicals with enough uses that it's worth having on hand. I'd only want a quarter of that at most, but a friend of mine would go in on it for another quarter, I'm sure.
jamit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-2-2017 at 15:20

hey, Zed. thanks for that info. I didn't know that acetic anhydride was on the DEA list.
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 23-2-2017 at 15:44

Many chemicals are on restricted lists. Either because they haven't been approved for human consumption (even if it has nothing to do with what you intend to do), use to make drugs and explosives. Then add the shipping and sale restrictions/regulations on dangerous goods. Many seller in fact sell illegally products like acetic anhydride, or in a semi-legal way. One could note the amount, person, chemical, date, etc of a chemical transaction, but it doesn't exactly translate into legality per se.

I never asked for this.
anewsoul
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-2-2017 at 17:13

Maybe try ordering some from Elemental Scientific. I recently ordered half a liter of acetic anhydride from them for 20 bucks and had no problem with it. If you're after a gallon, it would probably be a bit expensive this way unless you're willing to just cut back a bit on whatever you're doing with it. (It also might be a little suspicious ordering that amount anyways)
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 24-2-2017 at 08:17

If anyone's interested, the source jamit is talking about is called kyantec; they're a chemical company in my city that I told him about myself. Yes, I've dealt with them before and they're friendly with hobbyists but will ask you to write down a company or university that you're associated with and also ask for an intended use. I've been wanting to buy some acetic anhydride from them but I just don't like the risk of it being declared and causing any fuss later on.

Here's their website: http://kyantec.com/cgi-bin/online/storepro.php

Lillica
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 24-2-2017 at 18:55

Acetic Anhydride is in the same category as Sulfuric Acid, Toluene, and Acetone, as far as the US Govt is concerned. It's a list 2 chemical which basically just means there are restrictions on the quantity that someone can purchase at a given time. I don't know what the chemical limits are off the top of my head, but I know it differs for each item - the list can be found online.

Go To Top