Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chemglass products - what are the thoughts on the quality of their products?
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-3-2017 at 07:16
Chemglass products - what are the thoughts on the quality of their products?

I'm considering making some bids on a lot of chemglass products from a bankrutpcy sale. It seems that about 90% of the company's glassware is of the Chemglass brand and I want to know how this ranks up with top of the line manufacturers like corning, Schott Duran, PYREX, etc.
Lillica
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-3-2017 at 09:08

I can only speak from personal experience, but all of their products I have owned have always been very high quality with very few issues. I would definitely rank them fairly highly among the various glass brands that I have owned. This is just my personal experience.

Someone who is more involved in the professional chemistry world may be able to offer a different perspective.
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 6-3-2017 at 09:12

In my experience, Chemglass is very nice stuff. They are also an accommodating company to work with for custom glass.

O3

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 6-3-2017 at 09:25

I second what everyone else has said. I've got quite a bit of Chemglass stuff in my lab and I have no complaints about it. Nice thick glass, no bubbles, and good quality joints. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of their glassware(the MSRP for new glassware is a bit painful for amateurs though since it's an American company).

PirateDocBrown
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-3-2017 at 10:28

Professional quality stuff. Sure, there's problems with any company, but inside the US, they are in the top tier.

You pay for the quality, though.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-3-2017 at 13:03

Great stuff, if you can buy it cheap do so. Even if you get too much, you can sell 24/40 stuff on here easily, people are always looking for it. You can see their prices on their website, I would not pay more than 1/3 to 1/2 for used stuff, you may get lucky and find some for as little as 10% of what it is worth.
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 6-3-2017 at 13:17

I like Chemglass.

They hook up glassblowers so go through distributor if you can.

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-3-2017 at 20:02

Ok, well I'm going to be bidding on a number of lots of Chemglass in a day or two. there are probably 50+ auctions with some REALLY nice equipment and the minimum bids seem low. I'm goig to make a list of what is available.

The problem is that some of the auctions are "drawer of laboratory items" and it shows a drawer (48"w x 18"d x 12"h) with maybe 40-100 pieces of glassware with like 4 short path condensors, 8 cold traps, 10 200-300mm vigurex colums, 5-7 10-12" liebig condensors, tons of adapters, 4-5 soxhelt (sp) thingies, vacum manifolds, and probably 30-60 smaller adapter like pieces and also other pieces I've forgotten the names.

The thing is the pics are taken but there is NO description but I called and had them read what was written on the glassware as far as joint size, all are 24/40.

One lot is 3 drawers just like this with no descrition other than "3 drawers lab glass" but just pics

Then these things like 24 NIB 200mm Vigurex colums - one lot

another was about 40 "flasks" which were a huge range of 100ml to 12L 3 neck round bottom flasks (lots of 2,3 5L flasks included). the description is just "chemistry flasks".

All this is being sold out of 4000 lots where 90 % are office supplies (computers, software, printers, janitorial etc). So finding this stuff was really tough b/c searches yielded nothing - had to go through each picture individually.

This auction is why I asked if anyone lived near Boston.

[Edited on 7-3-2017 by RogueRose]

[Edited on 7-3-2017 by RogueRose]
Eyeborg
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-5-2017 at 09:30

Chemglass definitely produces some of the highest quality glassware. You won't see any complaints about them. However, it is very expensive compared to other brands, and I find them one of the most expensive sources of glassware. If you are willing to pay the price though, you can rest assured that it is a high quality product.
LD5050
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-5-2017 at 11:03

I live near boston are you looking for someone to go in with you on the bid? I'm very interested I have heard only good things of chemglass
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 6-5-2017 at 14:38

Unfortunately the auction is long since over. If you look at the post dates you'll see that Eyeborg inexplicably decided to revive a two-month old thread with a comment that didn't add anything particularly useful.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.

Go To Top