Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: HBr from BCDMH
Derek McOlund
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-3-2017 at 05:20
HBr from BCDMH

I recently bought some bromine pellets for swimming pools, on the label it says it contains bromochloro-5 5-dimethylimidazolidine-2 4-dione. Does anyone know how to make hydrobromic acid out of it? On the side of the label it says: "Forms toxic gases on contact with acids" could the gases they're referring to be HBr? In that case, to make hydrobromic acid I'd just have to react the BCDMH with sulphuric acid to form HBr gas?
A Halogenated Substance
Hazard to Self

Mood: Oxidizing due to extended exposure to oxygen

[*] posted on 7-3-2017 at 14:09

BCDMH produces a mixture of chlorine and bromine gasses when acid is added to them.

According to the wiki, it hydrolyzes to hypobromous and hypochlorous acids so the reaction with acid with this is sorta similar to with acid and bleach (except dimethylhydantoin is produced on the side).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BCDMH

This paper details the decomposition of hypochlorous acid to hydrochloric acid.

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/pdf/10.1139/v52-107

Perhaps you could try to adapt a method for a "hydrobromous acid to hydrobromic acid" adaption?
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 7-3-2017 at 14:18

Which begs the question, is there a straightforward route from BCDMH to Br2? BCDMH is, to my knowledge, the only OTC source of bromine available in my area.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-3-2017 at 14:39

There is; I have a book called Small Scale Synthesis of Laboratory Reagents (which I believe was written by an SM member) that gives a procedure for making bromine from BCDMH: https://books.google.com/books?id=VqosZeMjNjEC&lpg=PP1&a...

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 7-3-2017 at 16:38

Ah! Len. I might have guessed. He is surely missed around here. His book is excellent by all accounts but I have never seen a copy and whenever I have looked it has been out of my price range.
I did not know the text was accessible online. Thanks.
A Halogenated Substance
Hazard to Self

Mood: Oxidizing due to extended exposure to oxygen

[*] posted on 7-3-2017 at 16:48

The first time I attempted to produce bromine from this compound, I directly added hydrochloric acid to a slurry of it (looking back it probably just helped form more bromochloride) which I suspect released both chlorine and bromine gasses (resulting in even more bromochloride).

After a distillation, I received a product that looked similar to bromine but vaporized in seconds, even in an ice bath.

Looking back, I may even have been better off just straight up adding chlorine gas directly to a slurry of BCDMH with strong stirring...

I didn't even manage to recover less than a milliliter of bromine (or even the bromochloride for that matter). :(

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Also thanks for the book link JJay! I definitely be taking a longer look in it some time. :)

Go To Top