Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Things I Will Never Make
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 2-5-2017 at 19:35

Triphenylphosphine is a perfectly safe solid that I used as an undergrad. Trimethylphosphine, on the other hand, is much more volatile and toxic, as is phosphine, methylphosphine, etc.

I had to use nickel tetracarbonyl once. Didn't enjoy it. Would never make it at home.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-5-2017 at 19:38

I could see possibly making it in a professional setting, but as an amatuer? Definitely not.

benzylchloride1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Pushing the envelope of synthetic chemistry in one's basement

[*] posted on 3-5-2017 at 18:27

One of the more memorable things that I have seen in my years.

[Edited on 4-5-2017 by benzylchloride1]

IMG_0173.jpg - 1.5MB

Amateur NMR spectroscopist
karlosĀ³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 6-5-2017 at 13:09

Is that bis-trifluoromethyl mercury?? :o
Where did you get this picture from, certainly not shot yourself donĀ“t you?
benzylchloride1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Pushing the envelope of synthetic chemistry in one's basement

[*] posted on 6-5-2017 at 20:42

It is indeed bistrifluoromethyl mercury, I took the picture over a year ago. Interestingly, this compound is a light orange solid as can be seen in the small Nalgene bottle, as opposed to dimethylmercury which is a colorless liquid. The large crystallizing dishes contain mercuric iodide recovered from years of chemical oxygen demand testing of waste water. Much worse stuff is still lurking on the 5th floor of the building...

Amateur NMR spectroscopist
Radium212
Hazard to Self

Mood: Pyrophoric.

[*] posted on 25-7-2017 at 04:05

Phosgene or chloroacetone. Acetone peroxide, as well.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 25-7-2017 at 14:38

Coloured mercury
:P
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-7-2017 at 16:35

I've actually been considering bromoacetaldehyde. I think it will react with lithium diphenylcopper or diphenylzinc to make phenylacetaldehyde in good yield.

Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
25-7-2017 at 20:17
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 26-7-2017 at 10:51

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
I've actually been considering bromoacetaldehyde. I think it will react with lithium diphenylcopper or diphenylzinc to make phenylacetaldehyde in good yield.

Which route to the Gilman reagent would you take? This is something I have been thinking about lately, too. Not to phenylacetaldehyde, but organocuprates in general.

They can be prepared from their corresponding Grignard reagent with copper (I) salts. The counter ion would then be magnesium.

[Edited on 26-7-2017 by Loptr]

"Question everything generally thought to be obvious." - Dieter Rams
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-7-2017 at 12:44

I'd probably use phenyllithium and copper (I) chloride. I have wondered how hard it would be to prepare organocuprates from phenylsodium.

I don't think it's a good idea to prepare phenyllithium without inert gas, but a phenyl Grignard can be prepared with a drying tube....

I think phenylacetaldehyde can be made with diphenylmercury too. But I am not going to make that.

unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-7-2017 at 04:34

I will never make a contribution to this thread consisting of information on chemicals I will, or at least hope to, make.
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 27-7-2017 at 07:55

I'd probably use phenyllithium and copper (I) chloride. I have wondered how hard it would be to prepare organocuprates from phenylsodium.

I don't think it's a good idea to prepare phenyllithium without inert gas, but a phenyl Grignard can be prepared with a drying tube....

I think phenylacetaldehyde can be made with diphenylmercury too. But I am not going to make that.

Yeah, forget that one. I think that would be a series of compounds I could add to this thread in good faith; organomercury compounds! I am fine with mercury salts, just be sure to clean up and recover as much of the salt as possible for reuse, and also to keep it from getting into the environment.

As for the air-sensitivity of lithium reagents, that is exactly why I considered the route from Grignard reagents. I have pretty much everything else needed to work in an inert environment, except for the gas bottle and one of those drying apparatuses that fits onto the bottle itself.

[Edited on 27-7-2017 by Loptr]

"Question everything generally thought to be obvious." - Dieter Rams
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-7-2017 at 09:21

Same here. I need an argon tank.

I do like the Grignard route. I could theoretically whip up a batch of diphenylcopper magnesium bromide right now using materials I have on hand if I pick up some ether.

Refinery
Hazard to Others

Mood: Still

[*] posted on 5-7-2020 at 11:18

Things I will never do?

In my current setup:

Any reaction that could get out of hand, is too toxic to be handled, has such strong odor it will persist. I'm also not keen on energetics because I don't have place to play with them, and also things that are highly illegal shall remain untouched for now. Every synthesis I plan, I strongly consider how I can actually deal with it, does it need any containment, does it pose contamination hazard, how do I manage the waste, what equipment I need, etc.

In any given time:

I wish I could do every chemical reaction there is. The more exotic substance, more the merrier. Blast-proof, biolab level fume hood with ability to remotely control many processes would be a nice one for a start.
Eddie Current
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 5-7-2020 at 20:34

I am mostly interested in the reaction mechanisms & older chemistry techniques, and can study them without illegal drugs & poisons or designated explosives.

As for chemicals, I will never go near HF or HgC2H6 regardless of the inducement and there's a few other substances that I would avoid in the hobby setting.

Otherwise, let's do some chemistry.
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 6-7-2020 at 09:08

Fun story time. Back in undergrad I worked in an organic synthesis lab. I needed to use some phenylsilane reagent (I believe it was triphenylsilane but I'm not completely sure). It turned out the lab had an old bottle of the stuff, way at the back of one of the storage cabinets. You know, back where nothing has been touched since 1975.

The cap was pretty crusty-looking, so after opening it I took a GC-MS to check the quality. The main component was there as expected, and there were also lots of siloxane oxidation products coming at later retention times. Maybe I could distill it to clean it up, I thought.

But I also noticed a strange minor peak coming just before the retention time of the main compound. The m/z read 356. I did a spectrum database search, and guess what: diphenylmercury! It was probably an impurity from the synthesis.

Needless to say, I successfully convinced my PI to buy a new bottle.

[Edited on 2020-7-6 by Metacelsus]

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top