Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Second opinion on cheap heating mantle
Medyc
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-3-2017 at 12:52
Second opinion on cheap heating mantle

Hi guys,
Long time lurker, looking for an opinion on a cheap heating mantle I found on Alibaba (https://m.alibaba.com/product/60588406461/ZNHW-1000ml-Intell...). I'm not really looking for much from it. The scope would be occasional use this coming summer to quench my thirst in the lab (going into my final year of my medicinal chemistry honors program). If anyone has any experience with lab equipment from Chinese suppliers, or this mantle in specific I'd love your opinion,
Thanks.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-3-2017 at 13:46

Is that model suitable for your mains voltage ?

Is the power adequate ?
e.g. to boil off 1 litre of water in one hour requires 628 W of heating.

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
BILLBUILDS
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 8-3-2017 at 15:14

careful, i was going to buy a model for $58, turns out the shipping was about 150 and then there was another $80 fee because it was "magnetic and they needed to make sure that its ok to ship" if you actually get it for that price let me know because im looking for one too
Medyc
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-3-2017 at 16:35

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  
Is that model suitable for your mains voltage ?

Is the power adequate ?
e.g. to boil off 1 litre of water in one hour requires 628 W of heating.

Yes, otherwise I'd be linking a different model: ill be using 1000ml - 500ml capacity rbfs (500-250ml liquid per reaction) with 530W from this specific model and the power input is customizable at the point of order.
I'm just asking for peoples experience with Chinese suppliers through Alibaba and the quality of the products. Or any other cheap alternatives ($80-$150).
Medyc
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-3-2017 at 20:15

Quote: Originally posted by BILLBUILDS  
careful, i was going to buy a model for $58, turns out the shipping was about 150 and then there was another $80 fee because it was "magnetic and they needed to make sure that its ok to ship" if you actually get it for that price let me know because im looking for one too

Similar to my experience. I asked for a quote. Their unit is ~$60 USD but the shipping cost and fees totalled $80 (still a very good price assuming decent quality). I'm currently trying to haggle the shipping cost; we'll see if a compromise can be reached. If so I'll keep you all updated as this could be a nice replacement for the aging units that many of us own.
BILLBUILDS
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 12-3-2017 at 16:18

i ordered one of eBay yesterday. not as good and i browse Alibaba heaps but they need a beter setup. no one had pay pal and shit is always over 50 for non hazardous goods and 150 for hazardous goods

Go To Top