Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Vacuum filtration help
thathz
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-3-2017 at 15:59
Vacuum filtration help

Hey, hobby chemist here. I'm attempting to develop a large scale alkaloid extraction process. The precipitate is a very fine sediment. I was first was using gravity filtration, it took 3 days to filter the alks from 1kg of plant material.

I'm now attempting vac filtration to speed things along, but so far things are going slower than with gravity. Since the precipitate is so fine the filter clogs immediately and filtration slows to 1-2 drops a second. Does anyone know any methods of dealing with clogged filters from a fine precipitate?

I'm wondering about adding with large participial size (say some clean sand) to allow channels for liquids to drain. The next step in the process is a separation witch requires a second filtration with the wanted alkaloid dissolved in the filtrate so it wouldn't be a problem.

I'm using a 13cm buchner funnel, I have an 18.5 one coming but with the way things are going I don't see it helping much.
Xenoid
National Hazard

Mood: Comfortably Numb

[*] posted on 11-3-2017 at 18:59

Try pressure filtration, it is far more effective and used by industry for these types of processes.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=9630#p...

Go To Top