Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Prilled Ammonal instead of Powdered?
Tricka90
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-3-2017 at 12:32
Prilled Ammonal instead of Powdered?

Hello everyone,
I've always used Ammonal made of finely powdered AN and aluminum powder in 95:5 ratio which should be the most sensitive ratio, but in the book "Kitchen Improvised Fertilizer Explosives" I've recently found a recipe where Ammonal is prepared with Prilled AN instead of Powdered AN using the following proportions:
AMMONIUM NITRATE (fertilizer grade 32%+ nitrogen) . . . . . . . . . . . 82%
ALUMINUM POWDER (200 mesh or greater) . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . 18%
Also, the addition of 1% total weight Fuel Oil is recommended in order for the aluminum powder to stick better to the AN Prills and for the detonation to propagate better.
Since I like experimenting with different mixtures I would like to try that recipe even if it doesn't convince me because:
- each AN prill has higher density than AN fine powder so sensitivity will decrease;
- aluminum powder can't mix properly with big AN prills becouse aluminum powder will only be in contact with the outer surface of the prill so the reaction between the two would be less efficient
- 18% aluminum powder seems too much considering maximum sensitivity is obtained with 5%

What do you think about this recipe?
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: cool.gif

[*] posted on 18-3-2017 at 07:50
prilled AN

Recipe is in firstly order pretty expensive. In second order is it bullshit. In commerce rack rock holes is use usually a big diameter over 20 cm. Original prilled technology, use relatively foam ball agglomerates. Is not heavy ball from NH4NO3. Is it insulation-grain with 6% wax - oil filling. It is special technology. Engineers are not some fools. Therefore prilled AN has best power at diameter over 15 cm. Next:
If you experimente, you can try for example as fuel croissant or buns. His OB is - 118 on CO2. At agglomerates 2 mm is density 0,4g/cm3, thus similary as in prilled technology. Working always from No.8. By charge weight 40g ball. Very cheap, easy prepare. Unfortunately, tutorial was deleted (BAN) from YT....:cool:....Dr

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
Brom
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-3-2017 at 11:47

Tannerite is prilled AN and aluminum powder. Or am i missing something?
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-3-2017 at 01:06

Precise ratios is described here on S-M. Only looking for. Content AN, Al, NH4ClO4 and next 3 compound

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-3-2017 at 16:24

Powdered AN will be more sensitive if it is not compacted.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-3-2017 at 06:05

Why does every one claim chlorate is in Tannerite? There is non there as I have used it several times for making Nitric acid! and never ended up with any chlorine compounds or gasses.

Tannerite is simply dry blasting grade Ammonium Nitrate with their metal powder.

Seems there most be more then one mix as the ones in Canada don't seem to contain any chlorate. Tannerite that has been exposed to moisture can be re-crushed and used as is.
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-3-2017 at 16:00

There is no chlorate in tannerite. Tricka, stick with 5% al powder... that will also provide a higher VOD... remember, unless it is nano powder it will not react at the CJ plane. Even two micron al powder which is finer than GD takes 7 volume expansions to fully react!
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-3-2017 at 09:19
tannerite - ammonal

Why you someone firstly look in wikipedia ?
Lift :
Tannerite mix: Form for manufacture and sale[edit]
Tannerite is sold in pre-sized quantities for target practice, avalanche control and police use. Pre-sized quantities are sold with non-sparking polyethylene mixing bottles. Tannerite consists of two components: a fuel mixed with a catalyst or sensitizer, and a bulk material or oxidizer. The fuel/catalyst mixture is 90% 600-mesh dark flake aluminum powder, combined with the catalyst which is a mixture of 5% 325-mesh titanium sponge and 5% 200-mesh zirconium hydride[1] (with an earlier patent[5] listing 5% zirconium hydroxide). The oxidizer is a mixture of 85% 200-mesh ammonium nitrate and 15% ammonium perchlorate.[1]

I estimate, that 10% - 15% is fuel according described and 90 - 85 % is mix NH4NO3 + NH4ClO4. Is necessary recounting on % for every compounds. For example dark aluminium will estimate 7 - 9%, titan 0,5% , zircon 0,5%...etc........:cool:...Dr

[Edited on 22-3-2017 by Laboratory of Liptakov]

XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-3-2017 at 09:42

Wiki any idiot can edit it, in one school course you'd fail immediately if you used wiki and I am happy for that! It can be handy for a fast reference but it is never to be relied on as authoritative source of info.

I have looked across broad band of sources, I all so trust my own hands on testing, there is no chlorate in it, it is just blasting grade AN then what ever their metal powder is I never tested it. Allot of those sources contradict each other by 50/50 but with the hands on testing no chlorate mix wins.

Metal mix is only needed to sensitize blasting grade AN to a high powered riffle bullet or a good blasting cap.

So far 4 containers of Tannerit I have used for making nitric acid have held 0% chlorates

Go buy some and see for your self! but wally world CaN/AN is cheaper even with the required processing not by much though. But as I said befor there may be different mixes for different countries? be nice to see more people test it.

[Edited on 22-3-2017 by XeonTheMGPony]

[Edited on 22-3-2017 by XeonTheMGPony]

Go To Top