Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hexamine Hippurate Synth
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-3-2017 at 19:01
Hexamine Hippurate Synth

From a question in the energetics section reminded me of one of the uses for hexamine was as a urine acidifier for the prevention of UTIs.

So I set about the synth path way.

First is making the hippuric acid, part of this requires ChloroAcetic Acid.

One you tube video of the synth was found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpDtuK9BBBw

Glacial acetic acid with a sulfur catylest reacted under heat with dry Cl2 gas to form the Chloro Acetic acid rather simple reaction.

http://www.orgsyn.org/demo.aspx?prep=CV2P0328 < is the out line for making the Hippuric acid.

Now they call for Carbon tetra chloride during the last work up/isolation step (Recrystallizing?)

Now I am getting tired so may be missing it but I can't seem to find info on the reaction, is it simple as mixing the two together to make the final salt or is more "fene's" required?)

That's where I'm at on this project any pointers would be welcomed!
Waffles SS
Fighter

[*] posted on 21-3-2017 at 22:07

Quote: Originally posted by XeonTheMGPony  

Now they call for Carbon tetra chloride during the last work up/isolation step (Recrystallizing?)

Now I am getting tired so may be missing it but I can't seem to find info on the reaction, is it simple as mixing the two together to make the final salt or is more "fene's" required?)

Quote:

Carbon tetrachloride may be recovered by making the filtrate and washings slightly alkaline with sodium hydroxide, refluxing for a half hour to destroy any benzoyl chloride, and then distilling with steam. Benzoic acid may be recovered by filtering the aqueous residue and acidifying
http://www.orgsyn.org/demo.aspx?prep=CV2P0328 note 5

Quote:

One hundred and seventy nine grams (one mole) hippuric acid (benzoyl glycine) and 140 g. (one mole) hexamethylenetetramine were heated under reflux in 500 m1. methanol. The small amount of water necessary to give a clear, homogeneous solution was added to the resulting reaction mixture which was then evaporated to dryness. The residue soon crystallized, a procedure that could be greatly accelerated by seeding with crystals of hexamethylenetetramine hippurate from a previous preparation. The resulting solid product was broken up and pulverized.Hexamethylenetetramine hippurate is stable on exposure to air and is soluble in water and alcohol. It melts at 105-110 C
US 3004026

I worked on synthesis of Trimethoprim,that is powerful UTI Drug
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-3-2017 at 04:23

Awsome! thank you.

Basically this is one project of many, the goal is to make all the basic core medicines one would need on the farm in a hypothetical world collapse situation.

Reason this one is valuable in that sense is pretty much every thing can be sourced from the land. Methanol (destructive distillation of wood), copper catylest to formaldehyde. Ammonia, destructive distillation of animal hair. Chlorine gas, sodium hydroxide and hydrogen from the Mercury chloride cell. Acetic acid via fermentation or synthetic means.

Another is chlorohydrate and some sulfur antibiotics. Feel free to add any to the list here, as I get things built up I want to start a sticky type list with every thing and their procedure and sources from around the farm!

clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 23-3-2017 at 09:30

Have you considered the reduction of furfural to 2-methyl-THF? Furfural can be distilled from eg corn husks. The product is a versatile solvent.

Urea from urine is important. Isocyanic acid can be made from urea + Na2CO3 and while it's not a nice compound, it's a versatile precursor and probably the easiest way to make some of your own plastics.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-3-2017 at 16:22

Quote: Originally posted by clearly_not_atara  
Have you considered the reduction of furfural to 2-methyl-THF? Furfural can be distilled from eg corn husks. The product is a versatile solvent.

Urea from urine is important. Isocyanic acid can be made from urea + Na2CO3 and while it's not a nice compound, it's a versatile precursor and probably the easiest way to make some of your own plastics.

Good points on the lower one, the top one no never heard of furfural will look into it.

Go To Top