Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Quick alcohol distillation, essential oil extraction, steam generator using a large (30-48 cup) coffee makers?
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-3-2017 at 19:20
Quick alcohol distillation, essential oil extraction, steam generator using a large (30-48 cup) coffee makers?

I came across one of these items the other day and after looking at the parts and a test run with water, it seems that it may be useable for ethanol, methanol, water or similar liquids non-reactive with aluminium.

This is the one I was looking at and it has a 1090 watt element that seems to have an adjustable temp sensor but it will boil water pretty vigorously. The heating element is in the center of the bottom and is shaped like a cup about 1-1.2" diameter and about 1" deep. Inside of this an aluminium tube is placed with an upside down cup (dome) is placed on top of the heating element with the tube running to the top of the unit (carry steam). On top there is a basket that holds the coffee for the water to condense on the lid and drip down onto it.

If someone wanted to have a steam generator to blow steam through some plant material for oil extraction, this would work using the tubing (with a hole in the lid to extend tubing). Also, placing the plant material in the coffee basket while removing the tube would allow for steaming of the matter with everything condensing on the lid and flowing back into the water to be seperated later.

I'd like to see if this could be used for EtOH distillation or similar. It seems like a quick setup if it could be used maybe removing the tube and basket and placing a hose barb/connector on the lid to carry vapor away. I'm wondering how this would work with the water boiling at at the bottom in a concentrated area and if it would allow the ethanol on the top layer to vaporize and what happens to the vaporized EtOH on the bottom as it passes up through the hot water. As I've never seen EtOH boil during distillation, IDK if this is any different than using a normal hot plate or other, this just seems like much more heat concentrated in a small spot. IDK if the tube could work for EtOH distillation b/c it would send all the water up along with the alcohol I would think.

Here is a pic of what the tube looks like

regalware-km11ps106-replacement-pump-and-stem-for-58030r-58030-and-58230r-coffee-urns.jpg - 15kB

[Edited on 22-3-2017 by RogueRose]
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 21-3-2017 at 19:41

Yes, that is a perc pot.
I use one for making coffee.
They would work for most extractions.
Of course there are rubber and metal components
so the choice of solvents is limited unless
you replace the rubber with something teflon
or pfa. Mine also stops after the solution reaches