Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Homemade Rotovap
volkchemie
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-3-2017 at 15:44
Homemade Rotovap

I've recently finished making a rotovap from 3D printed parts and some other parts for a fairly low cost (much less than used or new from what I've seen) assuming you have some wood working tools and a vacuum supply.

The construction details can be found here if you'd like to make one: https://hackaday.io/project/20680-homemade-rotovap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlF8h3sGG4I

Feel free to let me know if there are any problems or improvements I can add!

20170325_171912_r.jpg - 293kB
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 26-3-2017 at 16:05

Nice build! I've been trying to find an affordable rotovap unsuccessfully for awhile, but I have free access to a 3D printer at my university now, so maybe I'll try out your design! If I do I'll post pictures. I'd plan on adding the condenser and collecting flask to mine (I do happen to have a condenser already that will work well for a rotovap).

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
volkchemie
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-3-2017 at 15:13

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
Nice build! I've been trying to find an affordable rotovap unsuccessfully for awhile, but I have free access to a 3D printer at my university now, so maybe I'll try out your design! If I do I'll post pictures. I'd plan on adding the condenser and collecting flask to mine (I do happen to have a condenser already that will work well for a rotovap).

Because I was designing this while I was also building it, the design that I've posted is somewhat of a hodgepodge of different parts and one could make it much better (eg. Better fitting parts, bearing for the evaporator flask adapter).

As long as you keep the cheap rotary Teflon joint and a relatively high torque motor in the design, the actual supporting and spinning of an adapter can be made in any form and shape.

[Edited on 27-3-2017 by volkchemie]
organicchemist25
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-3-2017 at 21:15

Have you tried looking for a complete non-working setup on eBay? I found a non working Buchi for 500$ from university of utah and got the motor rebuilt for around 100$. I now have a 4500$ rotovap in new condition for 600$. I feel I got a steal.

Go To Top