Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Electrical ignition system
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-4-2017 at 07:04

the det leads are 16 guage, they do not need to be large nor the insulation thick, your trunk line needs thick insulation and to be larger gauge.

16awg is the lowest you can go and you need well insulated wire. best bet is reduce the distance, what are you setting off, what are you blasting?

For the most part I use 50 foot of line as most is spot blasting with lots of natural cover, or ground blasting ant hills (Less biting that way!)
greenlight
National Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 24-4-2017 at 07:16

They look very small compared to standard gauge here.
What diameter in mm are the 16 gauge det lines you have including the sheath?

It just seems weird that the wires inside the controller are so small but the wires leading to the device have to be so much larger.
I mostly do dhaped charge penetration of steel targets up to 30 gram of explosive but I like to be safe in case of shrapnel or thrown debris.

The only use for an atomic bomb is to keep somebody else from using one.
George Wald
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-4-2017 at 07:28

need to make a berm, for that stuff I use a pit. easy to dig down then used the soile dug to make a one side berm to further protect me.

Looks mean nothing, lead wire is thin in both conductor and insulation, trunk line is much stronger insulation and conductor as it is subjected to much more handling.

No matter what you pay, you either pay in time and effort or you pay in cash, for me effort is cheaper.

Do some math and calculate safe distance and pit geometry and you should be able to reduce that 150 foot length to some thing smaller!
NeonPulse
Hazard to Others

Mood: Isolated from Reality! For Real this time....

[*] posted on 25-4-2017 at 03:06

Quote: Originally posted by greenlight  
I think I will definitely use steel wool instead of nichrome for the electric caps.

I have wired some of the control box up and have gotten up to the led but I am still stuck on the cables to run out to the actual device.
I went and asked for a price at an electonics shop for 40 metres of 14 gauge wire and its is $108 for that much! It also looks a lot thicker than the stuff in your photo you uploaded of your dets.
I think awg is different somehow from standard gauge.
It says awg is 1.63mm thick in diameter and this stuff was way thicker.
I went to a hardware store and found some wire that looks more like it would suit the whole setup better. It is in the second photo with a vernier caliper measurement included. Would this work as it is much cheaper per metre and would probably cost $30 for 40 metres?
I could find smaller gauge wire with diamter closer to 1.63mm if needed.
[Edited on 24-4-2017 by greenlight]

[Edited on 24-4-2017 by greenlight]
go to Bunnings. They sell a 100m roll of "bell wire" for about 25$ it actually has a little sticker on the side of the reel that says Detonator wire. It is made for the purpose. It is pretty thin at 1.5mm and works perfectly. It is a solid strand that looks like an alloy or plated copper. Take a look. It's what I use.

IMG_2938.JPG - 1.4MBIMG_2938.JPG - 1.4MBIMG_2937.JPG - 1.3MB

Where there is a will
there is a way.

AllCheMystery!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWbbidIY4v57uczsl0Fgv7w?vie...
greenlight
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-4-2017 at 03:18
initiation system success

Thanks NP I did end up getting the wire there. I purchased 30 metres of 14 gauge wire and finished wiring the whole thing together today.
Even though the wire is a lot thicker than the internal wiring, it works perfectly.

Thanks for your help Xeon I will dig a dirt berm when I go out next.

I have tested it 6 times and it is only now starting to have a 1 second delay before firing. I took 4 paper sachets of regular black powder out to my usual test site to see if anything went wrong with the high voltage wires about 400 metres away.
There were no accidental misfires and I finally initiated 6 grams of perchlorate flash in a paper tube with no issues.
I will conduct some further test just with small 1 gram sachets of black powder right under the lines next time to double check the safety there because I will never be that close to them.

What do you fire yours with Neonpulse and do you notice a delay when you press the button to when the actual device fires?

[Edited on 25-4-2017 by greenlight]

20170425_175304.jpg - 2.7MB 20170425_185925.jpg - 2.1MB

[Edited on 25-4-2017 by greenlight]

George Wald
yobbo II
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-4-2017 at 05:19

If you up the voltage a bit (within reason) the delay will probably be reduced a bit.
greenlight
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-4-2017 at 05:38

The first 4 there was no delay at all.
I think the batteries get drained pretty fast.

George Wald
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-4-2017 at 07:37

if you use excessive wire for your bridge they do.

a small delay is natural given distance, short of using a capacitor discharge system!

they work by charging a large cap bank up to 200 to 300v larger the cap banks the more caps that can be simultaneously fired
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top