Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nitrate (copper) deposited on clay for nitration (Claycop) for Mencke process
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-3-2017 at 00:12
Nitrate (copper) deposited on clay for nitration (Claycop) for Mencke process

I was reading about copper nitrate and under the bottom section it described uses in organic synthesis and it mentioned that hydrated copper nitrate could be absorbed onto clay and used in the nitration of aromatics.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper(II)_nitrate

I'm curious if the same could be done with calcium sulfate instead of clay. I have some blue/green precipitate from a CuSO4 + Ca(NO3)2 combination. The result was a super fluffy CaSO4 and some Cu(N03)2 that carried over some CaSO4 in the liquid used to rinse the precipitate. Upon recrystalizations the blue/green powder has been collected and it doesn't wash clean so I'm not sure what it is.

It seems to have the same solubility of CaSO4 but as I said, has retained some copper compound, so I'm wondering if it is an excess of copper nitrate or sulfate (or not excess, just by product). - Possibly a Bordeaux mixture (CuSO4 + Ca(OH)2) - as CaO is supposedly part of the Ca(NO3)2 ingredient but it was mixed into solution prior to mixing with sulfate solution. The Bordeaux mixture also has the similar blue/green color.

BTW, I would guess 1% of the reaction turned into this mixture which is also the error % of the scale/balance over the 2 compounds - so it may be due to excess or insufficient quantities.
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
7-4-2017 at 08:06

Go To Top