Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: (DIY) bushing/reducing adapter, 40/38 to 24/29
tandpasta
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-4-2017 at 14:55
(DIY) bushing/reducing adapter, 40/38 to 24/29

I bought a Soxhlet-extractor and overlooked that the top joint is way too large for my condenser. What a fool I am.

I tried using the Soxhlet-extractor with a flask filled with ice-water as a condenser, but that works poorly. The pressure builds up and solvent vapors escape into my living room.

I ordered the only reducing adapter that I could find online, but it's going to take a while to arrive from China.

What could I use in the meantime? I've looked at rubber and cork stoppers, but it seems that their chemical resistance is lacking, considering the solvents I use most often (hexane and dichloromethane).
Steam
Hazard to Others

Mood: Triple Point

[*] posted on 1-4-2017 at 22:13

couple options (it is very late where I am), I would recommend running it under gentle conditions so your makeshift condenser can keep up. It is all about heat transfer with condensers- creating more surface area and having a greater temperature differential will aid in this.
You could do a flask with dry ice and everyone's favorite propyl ketone.
Also you could try to attach a small heat sink with some thermal paste below the flask (for more surface area).
As far as chemical resistance goes cork isn't a complete disaster... at least it wont melt with solvent vapors.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this post is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.
PirateDocBrown
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-4-2017 at 07:56

Use a rubber stopper. Wrap it up completely with Teflon tape. Won't last forever, but should hold you till you get the right glass.

Go To Top