Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mailing from US to UK
yobbo II
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-4-2017 at 05:57
Mailing from US to UK

Can anyone tell my a cheaper way to post from US to UK.

The postal rates are OUTRAGEOUS.

https://postcalc.usps.com/Calculator/LargePackageProperties?...

Are there any cheaper (slower is ok) methods.

Packages are a few kg's at most.
diddi
National Hazard

Mood: Fluorescent

[*] posted on 2-4-2017 at 15:49

the only people profiting from all the internet trade these days is postal services. it cost me over USD40 to post 630gram parcel from Melbourne to Seattle

Beginning construction of periodic table display
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 2-4-2017 at 17:49

Yeah. But at the same time postal services all over the world are whinging because letter volumes have dropped and they have to cut services and rely on government support because they are no longer profitable.

I am not really sure how it works but I think the Chinese have got it sorted. Free shipping ex-China is not doing their economy any harm at all as far as I can tell.
yobbo II
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-4-2017 at 08:39

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  

I am not really sure how it works but I think the Chinese have got it sorted. Free shipping ex-China is not doing their economy any harm at all as far as I can tell.

Shipping from China is incredibly cheap.
If you post from China to the US (say) the US postal service (outrageous costs) has obvioulsy got to handle, sort and deliver the package. I often wonder how they agree between two countries who actually pays for the work.

Yob
diddi
National Hazard

Mood: Fluorescent

[*] posted on 3-4-2017 at 14:29

Yeh I post into china from au. At least high-ish weights 10-20kg are sort of reasonable pricing. around the USD100 mark. For those not in au, we recently had a 42% price rise in standard letter post rates, whilst at the same time delivery times were at least doubled. Service is shite at best, and the CEO (who was working 2 jobs) was on 5.6M a year. he has bee sacked. There was a recent newspaper story about a customer who posted a letter to himself from his local post office and it took 8 days to get to him iirc. wish I could find a link...

http://www.smh.com.au/national/snail-mail-gets-even-slower-2...

[Edited on 3-4-2017 by diddi]

Beginning construction of periodic table display
DrP
National Hazard

Mood: exothermic

[*] posted on 4-4-2017 at 05:09

Quote: Originally posted by yobbo II  
Can anyone tell my a cheaper way to post from US to UK.

The postal rates are OUTRAGEOUS.

It gets worse when it gets to the UK - if the goods are over a certain value (£15?/£30?) then they intercept your parcel and hold it to ransom at the sorting office until you pay them the VAT that they add to it. It's like highway robbery.

\"It\'s a man\'s obligation to stick his boneration in a women\'s separation; this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation\" - Eric Cartman
yobbo II
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-4-2017 at 13:41

Two items in picture are the same (USA Ebay). The postage to UK is very different. Is this the difference in the postal service being used (one is VIA the 'Internation global shipping program', what ever that is exactly) and the other is 'USPS priority mail express International'

Perhaps the cheap postage is being subsidized by the seller?

Yob

ircon.jpg - 173kB
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-4-2017 at 18:00

International postage rates were set years ago, and are based on each country collecting any amount they want for outgoing packages, they keep it all and then they just have to deliver them to the destination country, where that country delivers them for no cost. So most countries require that outgoing rate support incoming mail, and now that China exports way more than they import, they can make postage almost free for exports, and the US and UK have to deliver it all for "free", they can only make back their money on exported mail, so they have to charge a fortune for outgoing mail, since so little is shipped out of the US to China now.

It's time to renegotiate that treaty. Note, I am simplifying this a bit, kind of like explaining the US tax code in one paragraph, I am sure there are complexities I am skipping over, but China is basically subsidizing their exports, while the US punishes exporters.
yobbo II
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-4-2017 at 14:11

It would be interesting to know how much it costs to send a package 1000 miles inside China and how much it costs to send the same package 1000 miles inside USA.
I would imagine that it is a lot more in USA.

Yob
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-4-2017 at 23:56

Transportation should be cheaper in the U.S. than most places due to the extensive highway and rail systems, not to mention oil refineries in every state and nearly all major cities....

j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 20-4-2017 at 00:30

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
Transportation should be cheaper in the U.S. than most places due to the extensive highway and rail systems, not to mention oil refineries in every state and nearly all major cities....

Yeah, but "should be" and actuality are not always aligned. I think that is the whole point here.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-4-2017 at 01:51

Actually, the point was that international shipping rates from the U.S. are outrageous. With all due respect, you seem to have missed it.

j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 20-4-2017 at 03:29

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Yeah, but "should be" and actuality are not always aligned. I think that is the whole point here.

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
Actually, the point was that international shipping rates from the U.S. are outrageous. With all due respect, you seem to have missed it.

**Sigh**
I agree with you 100%. International rates from the US are outrageous. It is not as it should be.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-4-2017 at 09:10

Shipping within the U.S. varies depending on how fast you want it... I've shipped around 90 Kg several hundred kilometers for $100 USD overnight or shipped a kG or so from coast to coast for $5.95 in less than a week. Amazon.com has free shipping in the USA. Lake Charles Manufacturing manages to do some kind of cheap shipping... companies that ship high volumes can get special deals that allow them to ship at low cost within the USA, and freight costs actually aren't that bad once you have a certain level of scale. But if you have to ship hazardous goods, shipping those can get extremely expensive, and some can't be exported.

yobbo II
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-4-2017 at 15:26

It's a pity they is no snail mail from USA to Europe. There only seem to be 'as fast as possibly' by air mail etc. If you could get the goods at one tenth the shipping cost and it took 10 times longer to arrive by boat that would be great.

Go To Top