Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Toluene sold at Sherwin Williams just have to ask
LD5050
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

biggrin.gif posted on 2-4-2017 at 10:15
Toluene sold at Sherwin Williams just have to ask

I went to the local Sherwin Williams paint supply and was looking through the solvents they had, I have been trying to find toluene OTC but with no luck anywhere. I asked the sales person at the desk where I could find some and he said he had some in the back. He pulled out a 5 gallon bucket and a one gallon jug of toluene to my surprise. For some reason they don't leave this on the shelves and you need to ask.

Just a heads up for anyone looking for toluene....Made me very happy!
EssOiEx
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-4-2017 at 10:19

I thought that it was OTC at big box stories. Did something happen? I haven't purchased in quite a while...
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 2-4-2017 at 15:29

Quote: Originally posted by EssOiEx  
I thought that it was OTC at big box stories. Did something happen? I haven't purchased in quite a while...

It depends on your state. Mostly, it's because toluene can be used as an inhalant, so they just have to make sure you're old enough to buy cigarettes and don't have a twich on one half of your body and partial paralysis on the other half.

I've had the same experience with every hardware store except Home Depot and Lowe's (whose employees tend to be more clueless). Often though, they don't sell very much since it isn't on the shelves, so they don't bother to keep it in stock. If that's the case, they have to order it specially, and it will come in the next delivery, usually in 1-2 weeks. $20/gallon is the typical price.
CouchHatter
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 12:20

Having paid $16 for a liter of ACS grade a few months ago, this is really good to know. I should've thought of this sooner! The Sherwin-Williams guy was nice, cost me $20/gal here.

Go To Top