Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Air rifle pump for pressurizing catalytic hydrogenation vessel?
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 12-6-2017 at 10:16

That's an excellent description!

I have an excellent machinist on retainer. I'll ask him to work up a cost estimate for the cap. What metal do you want it made of?

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 12-6-2017 at 18:09

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
That's an excellent description!

I have an excellent machinist on retainer. I'll ask him to work up a cost estimate for the cap. What metal do you want it made of?

Yeah, I did my undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering, chemistry is more of a hobby for me. Not much formal chemistry background, unless you're talking chemistry of steel. Soooo much of it. And soooo boring.

There would need to be a hole in the top, for the hydrogen inlet. I'd have to think about what the best way would be to add the inlet, in which a tube extends from the inlet to the bottom of the vessel. Maybe a barbed connector, with the tube replaceable? A brass cap might be best, since most of the connectors I'm finding are brass, and I seem to remember galvanic corrosion problems with brass and aluminum. Steel would be too hard to machine to be worth the improved strength, especially for a non-standard threaded hole. I didn't even notice the double-helix thread until I went to measure it, now I'm thinking it might be better to just strengthen the existing cap with some sort of outer shell.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 12-6-2017 at 20:24

Then seal the shell to the cap with epoxy?

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 13-6-2017 at 18:28

I have a fair amount of experience producing Pt catalysts, via the action of NaBH4 on Chloroplatinic acid in ethanol.

Fast, easy, reliable, and a very active catalyst. Reducing the need for pressure.

Still........ The best catalyst/solvent combination....for any given hydrogenation, is probably what worked for someone else, for exactly the same substrate, sometime in the past. At least, as a place to start.

These matters can be very fussy. As in; reduction goes smoothly with Raney Nickel in ethanol, but utterly fails in methanol.....Or Visa Versa. Or, the substrate, might poison Nickel, or poison Platinum, and be reduced nicely with Pd/C. But, only in glacial acetic acid.

Great when you get all yer ducks lined up right. But, sometimes it takes a while to work out all of the little details.

Looking forward to hearing your results.

PS. How do you plan to agitate your vessel? If the information is there....I missed it. Either shaking or stirring works fine. Just curious.

[Edited on 14-6-2017 by zed]
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

[*] posted on 13-6-2017 at 20:56

Oh yeah, I was going to find a copper pipe cap that could cover my plastic bottle cap, drill a hole through, then either use acrylic resin or epoxy to strengthen it and hold it there. I know I want both a pressure gauge and a proper pneumatic quick-connection on the cap.

Today I added some of this activated aluminum alloy (like Al/Hg but nontoxic) to a sturdy, glass 10mm vial, half full of a mixture of acetonitrile and water, then screwed the cap on tight and put it inside a plastic jar, to contain debris if the pressure got too high. With a vial that small, there's no way it would, but it still would have made me nervous just sitting on a shelf next to me. Well, before that, I added a very small speck of of PdCl2, and made sure it went into solution. Eventually the bubbles were almost too tiny to see, and I opened it up, releasing a lot of pressure in the process. It smelled a lot like nitromethane being reduced, but slightly different. Blowing HCl vapors across the mouth of the open vial generated a white mist. I'm not sure if that signifies an amine, or if a hydroxylamine might also be possible. Though, I didn't think that was an intermediate in nitrile reductions.

Stirring would just be magnetic, if it needed to be for any length of time. Easy enough to mount an alnico magnet on a DC motor with epoxy.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

[*] posted on 11-11-2017 at 15:15

I've been gradually collecting parts for this, and I finally got everything together. Only two probems: the check valve leaks and the pressure gauge stays at zero no matter what.

IMG_20171111_180213.jpg - 371kB

NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-11-2017 at 16:15

Ive used small Kabota tractor (micro tractor) front wheel inner tubes to store both Hydrogen and Methane. Seems to keep the Hydrogen in for a good time as well
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 12-11-2017 at 05:33

Totally not related to the primary topic... But the blown up boiler mentioned in the 3rd post? It did not blow up due to a simple over pressure bursting of the container.

It blew up because it cracked or otherwise leaked and the pressure FELL.

A whole lot of water in a boiler at working pressure, which has a temperature higher than boiling point at atmospheric pressure develops a leak, rapid pressure drop and the water flashes to steam. Kaboom.

Failure modes. Not always what you expected.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 12-11-2017 at 09:07

Quote: Originally posted by Melgar  
I've been gradually collecting parts for this, and I finally got everything together. Only two probems: the check valve leaks and the pressure gauge stays at zero no matter what.

If the check valve leaks you will build no pressure and the gauge will read zero, right?

Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

[*] posted on 12-11-2017 at 12:55

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
If the check valve leaks you will build no pressure and the gauge will read zero, right?

No. When there's pressure on the inlet, the check valve may as well be a straight tube. Also, because the gauge doesn't work, I'm reluctant to pressurize it at all, because I have no idea what the pressure ever is. The pressure gauge was designed to be on an air compressor, but my first tests were only with air, although some water got in the tubes since for some reason I felt the need to have liquid in the bottle. That happened after I removed the pressure, the check valve leaked, and air pressure forced water backwards through everything.

NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-11-2017 at 01:24

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
Totally not related to the primary topic... But the blown up boiler mentioned in the 3rd post? It did not blow up due to a simple over pressure bursting of the container.

It blew up because it cracked or otherwise leaked and the pressure FELL.

A whole lot of water in a boiler at working pressure, which has a temperature higher than boiling point at atmospheric pressure develops a leak, rapid pressure drop and the water flashes to steam. Kaboom.

Wow, cant say you do things by halves can they lol. I would have shat myself with that :D
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

[*] posted on 15-11-2017 at 02:47

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  

Even though we understand water better than probably any other fluid, (or at least think we do) water is somewhat of an anomaly among fluids. If I'm not mistaken, no other compound with a similar molecular weight has such a high boiling point. Hydrogen bonds hold it in liquid phase up to its boiling point, but as soon as it boils, those hydrogen bonds disappear, and the resulting steam has a pressure on the order of what methane would have at that temperature.

Hydrogen bonds take some time to form in a condensing gas, but can be broken instantly if conditions are right. When superheated water flashes to steam, it's all converted to a gas at once, and the molecules fly apart. Adiabatic cooling comes into play, but isn't able to cool it enough to condense the water unless hydrogen bonding comes into play. And since hydrogen bonds aren't especially quick to form, the steam has a brief interval during which it behaves similar to how methane would at that temperature.

At least I believe this is the mechanism. I wrote it down to get it straight in my head.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top