Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: KCN and Chalcogens (?)
fluorescence
Hazard to Others

Mood: So cold outside

[*] posted on 14-4-2017 at 02:57
KCN and Chalcogens (?)

So I was preparing a few additional videos for youtube. A new topic I introduced was the reaction between hot KCN solutions and the Chalcogens.

- For Tellurium I was able to dissolve some elemental Tellurium in boiling KCN. Then I added a few drops of HCl (like the literature suggests) and the black Tellurium formed again (funnily without producing HCN so this reaction seems to be favored).

Now I thought it should be KTeCN of course as you can make these K(chalc)CN compounds by fusing the reactants. But on the other hand I found a lot of literature suggesting K2Te might form. And it seems like adding acid to K2Te does not even produce that much H2Te as you might expect but a lot of Te as well. So I can't really distinguish between the two.

- Then I did the same for Selenium. Here red Selenium formed. I was a bit surprised as I always thought KSeCN is stable in dilute acid. But usually you fuse the Se with KCN dry to make it and not boil it in water. So it might be something else as well.

- Last I did it for Sulfur and here nothing happened when I added the acid. But when I added FeCl3 it turned dark red. So here a Thiocyanate might have really formed.

So maybe it's just the tendency like I read that Te doesn't only form Polytellurides in NaOH like Sulphur would do but Tellurites and Tellurates as well, so there seems to be abit more happening whenever you work with Tellurium.

Now I can't find much on the topic but perhaps somebody has a bit more experience here. Does anyone know what really form if Se and Te are boiled in KCN (not fused!) ?

[Edited on 14-4-2017 by fluorescence]

Boffis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-4-2017 at 03:31

@ fluorescence; I can't answer your question but recently while checking out some references in the Acta. Chem. Scandinavia journal I noticed numerous papers by a small group of authors on exactly these sorts of tellurium compounds. I suggest you check out their web site, you can download paper for free and there are many dealing with tellurocyanates, tellurosulphates etc.. I think you will find lots of interesting stuff there,.
Boffis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-4-2017 at 03:33

Hi Fluorescence: attached are a couple of papers I downloaded from he Scandinavian chemical journal web site that might be of interest to people who like tellurium:

Attachment: acta_vol_25_p0331-0333.pdf (412kB)
This file has been downloaded 282 times

Attachment: acta_vol_03_p0708-0716.pdf (803kB)
This file has been downloaded 286 times

There are many more papers alone these lines and also a lot of information on the analogous selenium compounds.

Go To Top