Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Making Sulfuric Acid at Home
darkurza
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-1-2007 at 20:48
Making Sulfuric Acid at Home

Hi I'm new and this is my question.

Is it possible to make sulfuric acid by dissolving Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) in Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2). I don't know if this will work but I read it on an old thread from this forum I believe.

This is the way I intend to make it if it works.

To get Sulfur Dioxide, burn Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S).
Hydrogen Sulfide can be obtained by buying a fart bomb or stink bomb from a convenience store for about $0.50. It contains Ammonium Sulfide ( (NH4)2S ). When it is mixed with water, it hydrolyzes (Source: Wikipedia)

(NH4)2S + H2O -> H2S + NH3 + H2O (Something like that I'm not going to bother balancing.)

Do this in a beer bottle with a cork with a tube in it. Lead the tube into a larger glass jar with another tube coming out and burn the Hydrogen Sulfide in the jar. If this works, there should be Sulfur Dioxide.

Then finally pump and bubble the Sulfur Dioxide into a solution of Hydrogen Peroxide. :)

Can anyone tell me this won't work or find any problems with it? Thank you.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 02:27

It might work, but it is VERY VERY cumbersome. Your source of H2S is very awkward and really expensive. Besides that, you will get lots of side reactions. Burning H2S also gives sulphur (because of reaction between H2S and SO2, forming S and H2O).

The ammonia also will give problems with your "synth". So, I would say, this method of making H2SO4 is useless.

You can use this method in a more convenient way by using sodium bisulfite and 20% HCl (not more concentrated, otherwise you get too much HCl contamination) as a SO2 source. Add solid sodium bisulfite to 20% HCl and gently heat. SO2 will bubble from the solution and lead this through 10% H2O2. Be careful not to get suck-back.

This still is a fairly expensive synth for H2SO4, but its better than the stink-bomb source. But if you really want H2SO4, then why not look for draincleaners. Certain types of draincleaner are 92 .. 97% H2SO4.

This may be helpful as well: https://sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=6911

[Edited on 4-1-07 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 02:43

I think we already have enough threads about H2SO4, please continue the discussion there.

Closed.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.

Go To Top