Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Hotplate/Stirrer
Maja
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 06:29
Hotplate/Stirrer

I have no hotplate/stirrer combo and I would like to obtain ,because after some time I saw that it's really good and neccessery thing in lab. I saw a lot of hotplates on the net... I don't know which one is good. Can you suggest me from your experience ? And it would be very kind from you that you link me to some shops... Thanks.
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 08:37

I would advise against one of these: http://www.sci-support.com/images/300/1076.jpg

Unless of course you like to dissassemble your equipment and alternate between tossing parts in a fire and quenching in water.

Something with an all metal plate up top is my favorite. Check the usuall places, Ebay, LabX

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 09:55

Maja I really like my Corning PC-320. It has a ceramic top that measures 6" x 7.5". It has never given me any trouble. I bought it on ebay for $138.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
conducter
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 10:42

this is the one i am thinking of getting.

http://discountlabs.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id...
Maya
Hazard to Others

Mood: molten

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 11:20

Any one you can get cheap and works is good since they are all the same no difference in operation or quality , under $60 is good , look for used otherwise you'll pay a fortune

\"Prefiero ser yo extranjero en otras patrias, a serlo en la mia\"
conducter
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 11:43

damn maya, invite me to this world where one can get a good hotplate/stirrer for under 60! sounds like a dream world
Maya
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 12:30

They are around if you know where to look ( hint, hint )

Maja
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 12:35

Oh, I have just noticed you Maya :) HI !
Thanks The_Davster and Magpie for suggestions

What do you think about this one http://www.bestlabdeals.com/Fisher_Isotemp_Aluminum_Top_Stir... ? I can spend about 300$ on that...

I bought that one :

But it burned after a few days i got it from ebay, I paid 50$ for this one and 50$ for shipping... It was kinda sad :( So I don't want to experience same thing one more time.... How about thermolyne ? Is it worth that money ?

Maybe someone knows supplier in Europe ? So shipping costs won't be so high to my poor country :( ? What are your recomendations on hotplate size ? What size is most optimal ? I think the bigger the better ?

[Edited on 4-1-2007 by Maja]
Maya
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 12:37

That's not a brand I've seen B4, my Fav is corning.

did you burn it out mechanically or thermally?

Usually these things aren't really meant for much more than 100 deg, If I need >100 deg I go to a mantle between the stirrer and the RBF

[Edited on 4-1-2007 by Maya]

Maja
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 12:43

No, they stated that this hotplate could be used at 350*C.... My electric sockets puts out 220v .. So I need 220v hotplate. All American brands I saw before was 120v... :/
mrjeffy321
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 13:10

Quote:
Originally posted by Magpie
Maja I really like my Corning PC-320. It has a ceramic top that measures 6" x 7.5". It has never given me any trouble. I bought it on ebay for $138.

Like Magpie, I too have a Corning PC-320 hotplate-stirrer which I purchased used on eBay (for about $100). I am extremely pleased with my purchase. This hot plate is very durable...it took a Sulfuric acid bath and survived to tell the tale.
Maja
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 13:15

I used to hear from my friends that corning brand stirrers isn't good... What's the maximum volume of sirupy liquid(conc sulfuric acid for example) they can stir heavily ? Suggest something :) I want to buy one as fast as I can :) By the way ... What's differences between PC 420 and 320 ? I can buy PC420 for 125$. What do you think ?

[Edited on 4-1-2007 by Maja]
conducter
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 14:55

i already have a hotplate that works amazing, is there any way to fuck with it to make it into a stirrer as well?
Hilski
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 18:24

Quote:
i already have a hotplate that works amazing, is there any way to fuck with it to make it into a stirrer as well?

Similarly, I have a good Corning stirrer, and I need to find some sort of hotplate that I can set on top of it and still have the stirrer work properly. Heating mantles work, but sometimes one needs to use an oil bath. Anyone have any suggestions for some type of hotplate that I can use to heat an oil bath, that I can use on top of a ceramic-top stirrer?
turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-1-2007 at 02:39

Quote:
Anyone have any suggestions for some type of hotplate that I can use to heat an oil bath, that I can use on top of a ceramic-top stirrer?

Why not just put one of those heating coils in the oilbath?
MargaretThatcher
Hazard to Self

Mood: Handbagging

[*] posted on 5-1-2007 at 16:51

I recall Nicodem using some functional but dangerous looking string of power resistors as an oil bath heater. A suicide chain, I believe they are called. Be OK if you use an isolation transformer or earth-fault breaker.

The reformative effect of punishment is a belief that dies hard, I think, because it is so satisfying to our sadistic impulses. - Bertrand Russell
Hilski
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-1-2007 at 08:39

Quote:
I recall Nicodem using some functional but dangerous looking string of power resistors as an oil bath heater. A suicide chain, I believe they are called. Be OK if you use an isolation transformer or earth-fault breaker.

What thread was that in? I'd be interested in knowing how well that type of setup would work.
microswitch
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-1-2007 at 20:52

This seems like a good area to ask, which is better heating mantle or plain flat bottom flask? Whats the difference? It seems like flat bottom glassware would be easier to work with, etc.

\"Conspiracies hatched in hell do not have angels as witnesses,\" Hough said.
bio2
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-1-2007 at 20:59

......What thread was that in? I'd be interested in knowing how well that type of setup would work.........

Don't know the thread but a better way is to get an aluminum sheathed immersion heater, expand the coils to fit your oil bath.

I have a one coil 400watt and a 1KW two coil one that work great on the stirrer. Much less wattage needed than using the
hot plate top.

[Edited on 20-1-2007 by bio2]
microswitch
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-2-2007 at 17:46

I just got a Cimarec hotplate/stirrer.

Question: Everyone should know by now water boils @ 100 degrees C right? Well... the hotplate stirrer seems to take forever to boil water in a erlynmeyer flask even if I set it to 280 degrees C. :(

Im not that high up elevation wise, 312 feet above sea level to be exact. So what gives? Am I just not used to how long it takes a ciramec top to heat water or what? Im afriad my unit may be defective (if so yikes cause I sure paid a lot for it)! :mad:

\"Conspiracies hatched in hell do not have angels as witnesses,\" Hough said.
DeAdFX
Hazard to Others

Mood: @%&$ing hardcore baby

[*] posted on 15-2-2007 at 00:27

Quote:
Originally posted by microswitch
This seems like a good area to ask, which is better heating mantle or plain flat bottom flask? Whats the difference? It seems like flat bottom glassware would be easier to work with, etc.

Heating mantles I think are better in my limited experience. They heat a majority of the flask. Then you can cover the top part of the flask with some insulation so the heat stays in. With a flat bottom on a heating plate your heat is going to escape. Of course you could place the flask in a beaker with oil but in this case you have to worry about a flammable liquid. I don't know if I am exaggerating the efficiency of the heating mantle or not but it is the best ~300usd I spent[mine also comes with a stirrer thing which kicks butt].

In my way of chemistry I find that having the right piece of equipment for the job is essential to a successful experiment. I generally dislike improvising.
Drone
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-2-2007 at 03:01

Microswitch,

From my experience your hotplate sounds fine.

The temperature set on the dial is acheived on the surface of the hotplate. There are significant losses from the hotplate surface to the flask.

This tends to be useful if you are trying hold something at a steady temperature, but getting things to temperature from cold takes a while.
jackson2004
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-6-2007 at 19:03

I got my hotplate stirer from ebay, it only cost me a tenner in GBP ( $20 ), its old but who cares for a tenner. It works
bio2
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-6-2007 at 20:39

.......Similarly, I have a good Corning stirrer, and I need to find some sort of hotplate that I can set on top of it and still have the stirrer work properly. Heating mantles work, but sometimes one needs to use an oil bath. Anyone have any suggestions for some type of hotplate that I can use to heat an oil bath, that I can use on top of a ceramic-top stirrer?............

Another idea I have used to heat a 6L flat bottom flask on a ceramic top stirrer/hotplate is to use one 330W element from a toaster sandwiched between thick asbestos paper. placed
on the ceramic surface.

This actually heats the flask quicker and easier than the
1600W element embedded in the 12'X12" ceramic top and
the stirrer works fine thru the flat ribbon NiCr which is wound
on a mica sheet.
Kiakin
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-8-2008 at 08:27

Hello all. I've been lurking around for a while but it's time to register since I need your help :)

Like the original topic starter I would also like to purchase a good hotplate/stirrer. Which would be the best surface material ? I've heard that Fisher is a very good brand ?

I'm also wondering if anyone had any experience with this kind of hotplate/stirrer or knows where they can be bought ? Or just the reaction block if a combo isn't a avaliable. The reaction block would make heat transfer as good as a heating mantle, IMO.

[Edited on 5-8-2008 by Kiakin]

[Edited on 5-8-2008 by Kiakin]

20070047387-0-display.jpg - 30kB
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top