Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Best way to store and transfer my benzaldehyde to air tight container?
LD5050
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-4-2017 at 09:56
Best way to store and transfer my benzaldehyde to air tight container?

I just received 1liter of benzaldehyde in the mail, I want to switch the container it came in which is a soft plastic bottle to a more air tight glass container. The bottle it came in isn't that air tight I'm guessing because I can smell the benzaldehyde when I sniff the bottle. Anyway I have a nice glass bottle I would like to store it in but I'm trying to figure out the best way to transfer it. In the past it seems as tho I got a lot of oxidation when transferring benzaldehyde and I would see some benzoic acid inside the bottle.

So my question is what is the best way to do this? I have some Co2 containers with a valve set up and a hose. Maybe I can use this some how and possibly fill up a big plastic bag with the gas and try to use it as you would a glove box? Also would it be wise to fill the new glass container with the co2 gas or displace the oxygen in the head space of the bottle with it after I transfer the benzaldehyde?

Thanks for the help in advance!
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 21-4-2017 at 10:15

Doesn't benzaldehyde autooxidize to benzyl benzoate?

Anyway Wikipedia tells me that benzaldehyde freezes at a frigid -57 C. Assuming that the rate of oxidation increases with temperature (which seems reasonable) it should suffice to put the benzaldehyde in the freezer and transfer it while it is very cold (-20 C or lower). You may want a small spatula to ensure it all pours out.
LD5050
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-4-2017 at 11:07

Quote: Originally posted by clearly_not_atara  
Doesn't benzaldehyde autooxidize to benzyl benzoate?

I'm not 100% sure but I believe it autooxidizes to benzoic acid, atleast that is what I frequently observe when I deal with this stuff. I will always find white powdery benzoic acid around the threads of the bottles I keep it in or on the sides of the beakers after using them to measure a certain amount or whatever.
karlosĀ³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 21-4-2017 at 11:10

You have to distill it before each use, to get rid of the benzoic acid.
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 21-4-2017 at 11:11

You get (primarily) benzoic acid. But, this is a slow process. Assuming the product is in a reasonable state of purity, just pour it into a clean container, and purge the airspace with an inert gas. Seal tightly and store refrigerated.

There will always be some amount of benzoic acid in stored benzaldehyde. This is why (if it matters) it is frequently purified just prior to use. It can be stabilized, but that would also necessitate purification. Benzoic acid is easy to remove.

O3

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
LD5050
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-4-2017 at 13:12

Would Co2 work for a suitable inert gas?
adk
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 21-4-2017 at 20:11

Quote: Originally posted by LD5050  
Would Co2 work for a suitable inert gas?

No. CO2 is not an inert gas because of its ability to form carbonic acid in water upon dissolution. My guess is that it will vastly increase the rate of oxidation.

Use Nitrogen or Argon.

Benzaldehyde should be distilled slowly under vacuum and then stored in an amber glass bottle with inert gas, away from light and heat. Argon is best as it is moderately heavier than air and tends to stay in the bottle better than Nitrogen. If you can't vacuum distill it, filter whilst moving to the new bottle. Purging the receiving bottle with gas is also good practice.

https://www.argentscientific.com/
sales@argentscientific.com
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-4-2017 at 06:28

Just use small glass bottles with tight lids, and fill each one nearly full, that will reduce any residual air. If you have N2 or argon, that would be great, but if you simply leave only a little headspace, that will limit the oxidation. But as everyone said, their will always be traces of benzoic acid in it, sometimes benzyl alcohol (from redox of 2 benzaldehyde to one benzoid acid and one benzoic acid, I think it can occur in some cases), and likely traces of other stuff. But for many reactions, those impurities don't matter (eg, in most reductive aminations, traces of acid don't hurt much), in other cases, you will need to distill it.

Go To Top