Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Can nitrous oxide be used as an inert gas?
LD5050
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-4-2017 at 20:36
Can nitrous oxide be used as an inert gas?

Can I use nitrous oxide as an inert gas to store chemicals under? Or when distilling benzaldehyde? I know at elevated temperatures it can be used as an oxidizer but at rooms temp it is relatively inert.

I have a bunch of nitrous oxide bottles that is why I would like to use this instead of going out and buying nitrogen.

[Edited on 4-23-2017 by LD5050]
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-4-2017 at 06:29

Near room temperature it's pretty unreactive, but if there's some sort of accident it will make things a whole lot worse.
You can almost certainly detonate a mixture of benzaldehyde and N2O.
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 23-4-2017 at 10:46

Careful, if you are wearing clothing prone to producing electrostatic shocks (or discharge, abbreviated as ESD) and are in touch with a N2O infused fuel.

Here is a link to my prior research and experimenting with N2O https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=32... .

My recent readings suggest that N2O infused into an aqueous suspension of select metal oxides (TiO2, ZnO, MgO, FeOOH, ...) in solar light is a path to hydroxyl radicals. My rough take on the chemistry:

ZnO + hv ---) e- + h+

e- + nH2O ---) e-(aq)

e-(aq) + N2O ---) N2 + .O-

.O- + H2O ---) .OH + OH-

Note, so called Fe(lll) (hydr) oxides occur in natural waters (see http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/03044203950... ). As such, the action of light may induce some unexpected radical activity in the presence of N2O tap water compositions.

[Edited on 23-4-2017 by AJKOER]
LD5050
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-4-2017 at 12:30

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  

A mixture of benzaldehyde and No2 could detonate, how so?
alking
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-4-2017 at 12:40

I'm not sure he's saying it would autoignite, just that it's potentially explosive as benzaldehyde is quite flammable and N2O is a strong oxidizer.
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-4-2017 at 13:00

Quote: Originally posted by LD5050  
Quote: Originally posted by unionised  

A mixture of benzaldehyde and No2 could detonate, how so?

FFS! learn the difference between N2O and NO2
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-4-2017 at 13:25

In a word, no, you can't use nitrous oxide for that.

clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 23-4-2017 at 19:40

Between N2O and CO2 I would consider the latter to be far more "inert", particularly w.r.t. benzaldehyde.

I've started to think the amateur chemistry community needs to get a lot better at generating N2 gas. All you really need is an aliphatic primary amine without an adjacent EWG (so no amino acids) and a source of nitrosyl. Amines with an adjacent EWG will form "relatively stable" diazo compounds with sodium nitrite but others will react to release nitrogen particularly in the presence of nucleophiles like chloride.

The reaction between ammonia and nitrite is second-order with respect to nitrite (first-order w.r.t. ammonia) unless HCl is present to generate NOCl, and usually requires N2O3 to be present in sol'n. But we don't want to generate NOCl or other nitrogen oxides for that matter. So dripping nitrite into ammonia is out of the question (too slow) and dripping ammonia into nitrite means there will be noxious gases effervescing from the nitrous acid solution during the reaction.

But what about the reaction between ammonia and isopropyl nitrite? This should certainly be first order. Assuming isopropyl nitrite reacts with ammonia as fast or faster than it reacts with water, dripping isopropyl nitrite into an ammonia solution seems like one way of making N2 that should work rather well.

Or isopropyl nitrite turns out not to be reactive enough for this and I have run in circles.

[Edited on 24-4-2017 by clearly_not_atara]
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-4-2017 at 19:52

Quote: Originally posted by clearly_not_atara  

I've started to think the amateur chemistry community needs to get a lot better at generating N2 gas.

[Edited on 24-4-2017 by clearly_not_atara]

I have thought the same thing... decomposition of azides is thought to produce extremely pure nitrogen, but that seems a little involved. Sulfamic acid and sodium nitrite react to produce nitrogen, but I have been told that it isn't very pure.

Elemental Phosphorus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-4-2017 at 04:10

A lot of gases are relatively inert, N2 being the cheapest. But seriously, buy a little argon or something if you need it a lot, or if not, you could probably use propane, as it is pretty much inert, except with strong oxidizers. Carbon dioxide should do the job as well, no problem. Out of all the gases that are relatively inert, you had to choose N2O, while there are plenty of gases that should prevent the auto-oxidation to benzoic acid, N2O is likely not one.
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 24-4-2017 at 05:53

Bubbling propane through nitric acid, and then running that through sodium hydroxide to get rid of the nitric acid and water, will remove the mercaptans from commercial propane. Granted, there won't be much of it, but there's been enough to produce a sulfide coating on metal samples I've stored under propane before. Another option is to just put oxygen, water, and CO2 scavengers in a bucket, then use that bucket as your inert gas source, filling it with air when you're done using it.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-4-2017 at 06:54

Molecular sieve N2 concentrators are even better, old fridge pump, some valves and don!

Will post a link to a home made diy Nitrogen concentrator when I get home from work (Which may be sooner then later if the weather keeps going the way it is!)

http://www.instructables.com/id/Nitrogen-gas-generator/

http://homemadeliquidnitrogen.com/ Read through this guys build blog will be very educational in a few ways!

then using a O2 scavenger followed by a final Molecular sieve finish the gas stream
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 24-4-2017 at 19:20

Make a H2 generator and use it to fuel a hydrogen flame.

Inert the flame into a container of air to form an atmosphere of N2 and water vapor.

Use a packet of CaCl2 to create dry nitrogen.
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 24-4-2017 at 21:16

Quote: Originally posted by XeonTheMGPony  
Molecular sieve N2 concentrators are even better, old fridge pump, some valves and don!

Will post a link to a home made diy Nitrogen concentrator when I get home from work (Which may be sooner then later if the weather keeps going the way it is!)

http://www.instructables.com/id/Nitrogen-gas-generator/

http://homemadeliquidnitrogen.com/ Read through this guys build blog will be very educational in a few ways!

then using a O2 scavenger followed by a final Molecular sieve finish the gas stream

And $500 and a week later, problem solved! Seriously though, this machine is way more useful as an oxygen concentrator, and it's how they concentrate oxygen for old people who can't breathe well. It's referred to as a "pressure swing adsorption oxygen concentrator", and separates air into oxygen and nitrogen (about 99% of dry air). My friend and I had the plans drawn up for a 20 L/min unit with regards to air, which would be about 4 L/min of oxygen. The air should really be dried before it enters the apparatus anyway, meaning it'll be dry when it comes out. The oxygen supply can be connected to an ozone generator to generate useful levels of ozone, or a contact-process H2SO4 generator, which will make it easier to run on a small scale. I'm sure there are plenty of other reactions that would benefit from a source of pure oxygen.
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-4-2017 at 06:31

Quote: Originally posted by AJKOER  
Make a H2 generator and use it to fuel a hydrogen flame.

Inert the flame into a container of air to form an atmosphere of N2 and water vapor.

Use a packet of CaCl2 to create dry nitrogen.

You're forgetting all the other components of air. CO<sub>2</sub> being the main concern from an inertness standpoint.
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 25-4-2017 at 08:51

To some extent I expect the CaCl2 to collect H2O which, on cooling and shaking, may have soaked up the likes of CO2, NO2, SO2,...So do not introduce the CaCl2 until after some cooling/shaking has occurred.

The real left over is hydrogen that was inserted as the H2 flame dies out and was not removed quickly.

However, H2 is so light I would expect a top layer formed over the nitrogen, so not hopefully a problem, but I would store cold and away from light.
---------------------------------------------------------------

[Edited on 25-4-2017 by AJKOER]
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-4-2017 at 09:01

All gases are infinitely miscible, sometimes surprisingly so. I wouldn't count on a distinct layering in a gas mixture.
Once I tried the "float a tinfoil boat on SF<sub>6</sub>" experiment by filling a fish tank with the gas and floating things on it. Despite being 6x denser than air, it diffuses out of the tank surprisingly quickly. I left it alone for 20 minutes with a piece of cardboard as a loose cover (to protect from air currents), but when I got back maybe 2/3 of it had escaped anyway.

Go To Top