Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: SnCl2.2H2O reactions
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 6-1-2007 at 07:33
SnCl2.2H2O reactions

I`ve finaly received my stannous chloride today from a guy on eBay (Woelen knows the slacker I`m on about).

I decided to run a few experiments with it, and have some interesting results.

SnCl2 + Toluene, not suluble at 1`st and then a white turbid look appears, then upon heating (not boil) the turbidity goes and it turns clear again, and if you look Very carefuly you can see 2 layers, both are clear liquid at room temp, other than that, nothing special.

SnCl2 + Acetone, starts to dissolve right away and it clear, then upon heating (not boil) the acetone starts to distil a little up the tube, after about 3 sessions of this, the whole lot becomes white milky cloudy, and a white PPT can be clearly seen at the bottom of the tube.

SnCl2 + Meths (denatured slovent/fuel, ethanol, methanol, denatonuim benzoate and pyridine and some purple dye).
Instant milky color (like adding water almost), and a PPT forms also.
when the ppt falls it`s white and leaves a Pink clear soln at the top. upon heating more ppt forms and then refuses to settle again leaving the whole soln turbid pink.

that`s it for now.

add your own reactions/findings in here too if it uses SnCl2.2H2O, And any ideas of what you think is going on IN these reactions :)

edit: I nearly forgot!, as it`s a good reductor, I also dissolved some in Etoh and added a little 2,4,6 trinitophenol, it Did change color from canary yellow to a deeper orange, and upon evap of the alc there was no noticable smell and the color seemed to have vanished.

[Edited on 6-1-2007 by YT2095]

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 6-1-2007 at 13:43

Good to read you finally received your chems. I'm still waiting :(, already for 2 months :mad:.

Dissolve some SnCl2 in as little as possible of water. You just need a few drops.
Dissolve some KI in another few drops of water, also make this very concentrated.

Mix the two liquids and watch the reaction. Best is if they are not mixed, but are allowed to run into each other, e.g. along a tilted glass surface.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have some Pt-salts, SnCl2 also makes very interesting complexes with platinum, it makes [Pt(SnCl3)5](3-), a 5-coordinated complex of platinum (II), which is really rare.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tin (II) ion is a fairly strong reductor. Dissolve it in concentrated HCl and use this as reductor.

[Edited on 6-1-07 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
guy
National Hazard

Mood: Catalytic!

[*] posted on 6-1-2007 at 14:12

Quote:
Originally posted by YT2095
I`ve finaly received my stannous chloride today from a guy on eBay (Woelen knows the slacker I`m on about).

I decided to run a few experiments with it, and have some interesting results.

SnCl2 + Toluene, not suluble at 1`st and then a white turbid look appears, then upon heating (not boil) the turbidity goes and it turns clear again, and if you look Very carefuly you can see 2 layers, both are clear liquid at room temp, other than that, nothing special.

SnCl2 + Acetone, starts to dissolve right away and it clear, then upon heating (not boil) the acetone starts to distil a little up the tube, after about 3 sessions of this, the whole lot becomes white milky cloudy, and a white PPT can be clearly seen at the bottom of the tube.

SnCl2 + Meths (denatured slovent/fuel, ethanol, methanol, denatonuim benzoate and pyridine and some purple dye).
Instant milky color (like adding water almost), and a PPT forms also.
when the ppt falls it`s white and leaves a Pink clear soln at the top. upon heating more ppt forms and then refuses to settle again leaving the whole soln turbid pink.

that`s it for now.

add your own reactions/findings in here too if it uses SnCl2.2H2O, And any ideas of what you think is going on IN these reactions :)

edit: I nearly forgot!, as it`s a good reductor, I also dissolved some in Etoh and added a little 2,4,6 trinitophenol, it Did change color from canary yellow to a deeper orange, and upon evap of the alc there was no noticable smell and the color seemed to have vanished.

[Edited on 6-1-2007 by YT2095]

So did SnCl2 get reduced by the acetone, and the acetone get chlorinated?

unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-1-2007 at 01:09

My guess would be that it got oxidised by air and hydrolysed to SnO2
YT2095
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-1-2007 at 02:56

I`ve no idea what happened exactly, I agree with the SnO2 being the ppt, but then what happened to the chlorine, there was certainly no smell given off, if anything the acetone smells a little sweeter and less harsh than the original I put in.

something quite has happened overnight with the Toluene reaction though, now there is a Clear marker between the layers, the bottom layer is a light brown liquid and there seems to be more of it than there was yesterday, the top layer is reasonably clear, with a slight Peach coloration to it using a white paper test. and the smell is actualy quite pleasant for toluene, also much sweeter.
there is no noticable ppt though in Either layer.

[Edited on 7-1-2007 by YT2095]

Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-1-2007 at 03:49

2 SnCl2 +O2 +2 H2O ---> 4 HCl + 2 SnO2
HCl wil catalyse various condensation reactions in acetone to give diacetone alcohol and mesityl oxide etc
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 7-1-2007 at 04:03

And toluene and SnCl2*2H2O do not react. Any color change is either from the Sn(II) to Sn(IV) oxidation forming the white precipitate of SnO2 and/or impurities in your toluene or SnCl2*2H2O.
YT2095
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-1-2007 at 04:23

there is a distinct smell change with the toluene, so it`s quite possible the impurity in from there, although prior experiments using this toluene haven`t shown up anything (sulpher solvent and nitrations) noteworthy as a contaminant.

but then neither has my 100% Etoh which I know contains a little MEK.
I`ve added a little HCl to this toluene mix and there is an instant turbidity in the bottom layer, the top layer is quite clear now.

I think I`ll give this top layer a good wash and then test the fumes of combustion for Acidity and Chlorine/HCl.
it`s the only way I can think of testing if it`s been altered in anyway.

YT2095
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-1-2007 at 05:19

very sooty fire, and nothing exceptionaly acidic about the rest of the gases, and a silver nitrate test showed no chloride.
so there must be other junk in the toluene :(

also SnCl2 dissolves Very well in Etoh even when cold, heating changes nothing except temperature.

I`ve been reading the Incompatibilities list about stannous chloride, it mentions Nitrates, so next I think I`ll work with colored metal nitrate solns, Cobalt, Copper and Nickel, I think Ammonium Dichromate may provide an interesting result also.

woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-1-2007 at 07:35

Ammonium dichromate is reduced by stannous chloride. You obtain a green and very turbid mix. The green is due to formation of partially hydrolysed chromium (III) and the turbidity is from the hydrolysed Sn(II) and Sn(IV) species.

The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 7-1-2007 at 08:00

If electrolysed you can get a pretty sponge of tin.
Reduces the 4-nitro group on styphnic acid selectively.
Reduces permanganate

YT2095
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-1-2007 at 09:04

the electrolysis part is great, and to think I`de have given a kings ransom a few years ago for the stuff! I`ll have to post the pics of my Tin electrolysis from Solder 60/40, I got curved Sabre type crystals though, nothing at all spongey.

as for the metal nitrates, the Copper was an instant ppt reaction, no guesswork at all, the Ni nitrate was much slower, in fact I didn`t think it would react at all initialy, then with a little heat a ppt formed.
the Cobalt seemed to do nothing at all, even on heating there wasn`t even a color change, so cobalt chloride wasn`t formed, a while later there was a little white ppt at the bottom, but that`s more than likely SnO2 hydrolysed.

I`ve had an interesting reaction with Etoh + SnCl2 and Fluorscein though, the fluoroscein is solluble in the alc totaly as the free acid, there is a slight deepening of the reddy orange color on addition of the SnCl2 and heating, addition of HCl after seems to change little, but upon dillution with water you get to a certain point and the soln turns Pink!?

I`ll have to re-do this again though as I took no measurements and was simply testing ideas on the fly.

woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-1-2007 at 13:32

Tin forms quite some complexes with organic compounds and I can imagine that it forms a complex with fluorescein. I will try this experiment also, it sounds interesting.

The_Davster
A pnictogen

[*] posted on 7-1-2007 at 14:23

Quote:
Originally posted by YT2095
the electrolysis part is great, and to think I`de have given a kings ransom a few years ago for the stuff! I`ll have to post the pics of my Tin electrolysis from Solder 60/40, I got curved Sabre type crystals though, nothing at all spongey.

Oh so pretty:P
https://sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=5390

From a really acidic tin (II) chloride solution

Does not look like a sponge, but if you make a handfull of the stuff and squeeze, it sure does feel like one.;)

[Edited on 7-1-2007 by The_Davster]

YT2095
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2007 at 01:09

nice pics !

here`s the result I got: http://www.yt2095.net/experiments/tinmetal.JPG

as you can see there`s little spongey there and most are like the crystals you have growing around the outside of the sponge mass, I suspect soln strength and current diferences may have played a part in this though.

unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2007 at 10:47

This bit
"I`ve had an interesting reaction with Etoh + SnCl2 and Fluorscein though, the fluoroscein is solluble in the alc totaly as the free acid, there is a slight deepening of the reddy orange color on addition of the SnCl2 and heating, addition of HCl after seems to change little, but upon dillution with water you get to a certain point and the soln turns Pink!?"
reminds me of the use of fluorescein as an absorption indicator for Ag+ Vs Cl- titrations.

[Edited on 8-1-2007 by unionised]
Elawr
Hazard to Others

Mood: vitriolic

[*] posted on 8-1-2007 at 13:55

Can SnCl2 not be prepared by simply allowing metallic tin to digest in aqueous HCl? I suppose the trick then would be how one might possibly render the product anhydrous.

woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-1-2007 at 02:48

I have tried that and it does not work. I have 99.99% pure tin and even in conc. HCl it dissolves VERY VERY slowly. It may take years to dissolve a small granule of 2 mm diameter, even in conc. HCl.

The_Davster
A pnictogen

[*] posted on 9-1-2007 at 05:48

Definatly Woelen! Around 3-4 months for 4mm shot.
Not sure but anhydrous SnCl2 might be preparable by the action of fine tin on liquid SnCl4.

The fine tin structures obtainable by electrolysis(like I showed above) dissolve overnight in HCl however

[Edited on 9-1-2007 by The_Davster]

h0lx
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 9-1-2007 at 09:03

How about adding a bit of H2O2 to the HCl with tin in? It would (hopefully)oxidize the tin, which will then react with HCl.
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 9-1-2007 at 09:53

What about adding some nitric acid to help oxidize the tin? To remove excess nitrate, boil the solution and add HCl to re-dissolve any tin oxides that ppt out from the boiling.

h0lx
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 9-1-2007 at 10:10

H2O2 would be better choice, provided, it reacts because It leaves no contaminants, only H2O
YT2095
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-1-2007 at 10:16

if you`re going to make Larger batches, you can exploit tins low MP, it`s Very easy to cast.
the way I made mine was to cut up an empty alu beer can into sheets, burn the paint off, made a V shaped trough, pinched the ends closed, loaded the trough with tin and then melted it.
you mow have a long ingot of tin that you can pass a current through in your chosen electrolyte.

let the electricity do all the work :)

The_Davster
A pnictogen

[*] posted on 9-1-2007 at 19:16

Quote:
Originally posted by neutrino
What about adding some nitric acid to help oxidize the tin? To remove excess nitrate, boil the solution and add HCl to re-dissolve any tin oxides that ppt out from the boiling.

Will be contaminated with hydrated SnCl4, Sn reacts with nitric making SnO2, which dissolves in HCl making aqueous SnCl4. Unless it pulls a MnO2 and oxidizes the acid to chlorine, but the reduction potentials do not indicate this.

It might be the voltage I used in the experiment I linked to caused tin to 'plate'(I use that term liberally) on the cathode instantly. It was not as if the Sn dissolved into the acid, and then when the 'capacity' of the electrolyte was full it then began to plate.

Go To Top