Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Aluminum alkoxide-amine adducts
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 25-4-2017 at 12:49
Aluminum alkoxide-amine adducts

Or AAAA for short. Anyway, I've been using an aluminum alloy to reduce nitro groups to amines with an alcohol solvent, and have noticed that when the reaction is finished, my TLC plate seems to indicate that there's not much at all in the sample I put on it. Of course, at that point, my solution would be anhydrous, and provided these AAAAs are present, the amines would all be in the sludge at the bottom, and not part of my sample. Simple hydrolysis should liberate them, I'd imagine, but then the aluminum forms a goopy sludge that's impossible to filter.

Two ideas come to mind:

First, add a moderately strong acid. Preferably an alcohol-soluble organic acid, say GAA, formic acid, or oxalic acid, which would react with the adduct, releasing the amine as a soluble salt. (I hope) I guess the next step would be to add a lot of alkali hydroxide to dissolve the aluminum, and release the amine to an organic layer. I'm not 100% sure that'd work

Second, dissolve the whole mess at the bottom in alkali hydroxide and water, then titrate the solution with phosphoric acid. Aluminum phosphate has a very low solubility in everything, and phosphate salts are easy to separate. Of course, that assumes that the salts will be easy to separate, though I have no reason to believe they wouldn't be. AFAIK, only sodium, potassium, and ammonium/amine phosphate salts are water-soluble, and potentially some amine phosphate salts may even be alcohol soluble?

It's been hard finding much information on these adducts, but they definitely seem to be a phenomenon. Here's one article that mentions them:

https://books.google.com/books?id=kkg3xJ4sifgC&pg=PA4&am...
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 25-4-2017 at 15:12

If the "sludge" dissolves in alkali, couldn't you extract the resulting solution directly with e.g. DCM?
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 25-4-2017 at 18:22

The aluminum is not super pure, and various metals and their oxides are present that end up precipitating out. Virtually everything dissolves in, say, HCl though. But the main reason I didn't want to do that is that right now, I just want a proper TLC test of the reaction to see what the products were like; I don't want to do the workup just yet.
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Member Is Online

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 25-4-2017 at 18:47

Then you may want to take a small sample, make it really basic, extract that with dichloromethane, and run a TLC of the extract.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-4-2017 at 20:32

How does TLC indicate the amount of your product?

Alice
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-4-2017 at 03:39

Mini-workup is the standard procedure for TLCing TLC incompatible mixtures. If you can't separate the sludge from the solvent, open up a syringe, press some cotton onto the bottom so it's really tight. Then add the solution carefully and close the syringe. Press the solution through the syringe. If the compounds you're trying to find are highly diluted (or bound to the alkoxide almost but not completely) you may dot it 20 times or more on the same spot. This also helps to find minor components. Depending on the eluent the amine won't move and therefor won't move away from other sticky compounds so you won't be able to distingish it from other compounds.
If the amine sticks to the alkoxide which I think may be possible, and you don't want to do any workup, then you have a low chance doing a successful TLC.

Go To Top