Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Quaternary amino acid decarboxylation?
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 26-4-2017 at 07:35
Quaternary amino acid decarboxylation?

I was considering making a quaternary derivative of an amino acid, however I don't want the carboxyl group on it. Since quaternary amines are known for being pretty stable, I was thinking that perhaps likewise, a quaternary amino acid might prove to undergo decarboxylation with fewer side products than just the amino acid would. I tried looking up information already, but virtually everything I could find described biological systems rather than reactions.

So would it make sense to quaternize the amine moiety before or after the decarboxylation step? Initially, my plan was to use phenylalanine, but mainly as a proof of concept.

[Edited on 4/26/17 by Melgar]
CuReUS
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-4-2017 at 10:06

Quote: Originally posted by Melgar  
I was thinking that a quaternary amino acid might prove to undergo decarboxylation with fewer side products than just the amino acid would.

there is no need to quarternise the amine,as amino acids undergo decarboxylation quite easily - https://erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/trp.decarbox.en...
Quote:
So would it make sense to quaternize the amine moiety before or after the decarboxylation step

after,IMO,because if you try to do it before,the COOH might get converted to ester which would make the decarboxylation difficult,if not impossible
Crowfjord
Hazard to Others

Mood: Ever so slowly crystallizing...

[*] posted on 26-4-2017 at 10:54

That would make an interesting experiment. Obviously ketone catalysis wouldn't be of any use here due to lack of ability to form an imine intermediate. In basic medium elimination of trimethylamine would probably occur (assuming methyl quaternization). I wonder whether in acid or neutral medium the amine, carbon dioxide, or both would be removed.
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 26-4-2017 at 11:05

Yeah, that's the conclusion I've been coming to, especially once I realized that amino acid decarboxylation proceeds via a catalyzed reaction that has an imine as an intermediate. Initially, I was thinking that the reactive amine group would result in more side products, but now I realize that's not really the case.
CuReUS
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-4-2017 at 02:01

Quote: Originally posted by Crowfjord  
Obviously ketone catalysis wouldn't be of any use here due to lack of ability to form an imine intermediate.

Its not that ketone catalysts cannot be used here,its just that using them won't give what the OP wants i.e. b-phenethylamine.This is quite surprising since the same reaction gives the expected amine when tryptophan or histidine is used.:o
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 29-4-2017 at 12:25

I suspect "alpha-phenethylamine" as the decarboxylation product of phenylalanine is a misprint. Such a rearrangement would usually be remarked on. This paper decarboxylated phenylalanine with carvone and did not notice anything out of the ordinary:

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00397911.2015.110...

Go To Top