Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Aniline-P-Sulfonic Acid Group Buy
Elemental Phosphorus
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-5-2017 at 17:03
Aniline-P-Sulfonic Acid Group Buy

I am not sure how alibaba works, but a seller is selling 25kg of aniline-p-sulfonic acid for $1.45 per kg. I believe that shipping has to be arranged by the buyer, but 1.45 per kilo is still a great deal if shipping is at all reasonable from China. I am sure quite a few members, including myself, could use some aniline, and making aniline from the sulfonic acid should not be difficult to do. If anyone is interested or has bought on alibaba before, please reply.
Here is the listing:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/-121-57-3-Aniline-P_60...
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 3-5-2017 at 18:39

I would be happy to purchase a kilogram if this was going to happen, as sulfanilic acid is useful in its own right for dye chemistry. Count me in if there's enough interest.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 4-5-2017 at 09:59

How would one remove the sulfonic acid group attached to give aniline? Base hydrolysis/fusion would supposedly yield p-hydroxyaniline, but I'm not entirely sure of how complex side reactions could get given that it's a zwitterion.
TheNerdyFarmer
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-5-2017 at 12:49

I may be interested in this. Is it still an option?
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 4-5-2017 at 13:07

Quote: Originally posted by Amos  
How would one remove the sulfonic acid group attached to give aniline? Base hydrolysis/fusion would supposedly yield p-hydroxyaniline, but I'm not entirely sure of how complex side reactions could get given that it's a zwitterion.
Aryl sulfonic acids can be desulfonated simply by refluxing in dilute sulfuric acid. Sulfonatuion/desulfonation is a reversible reaction.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-5-2017 at 18:51

I'd like a kilogram of that too.

Alibaba shipping is usually by sea freight. I've researched it a little but have never actually shipped anything that way internationally and have only done domestic shipping that way a handful of times. If you call up a freight company and explain what you are trying to do, they can give you some idea of their services and costs, and if they don't do that sort of thing they can probably give you some sort of a referral to a company that will at least know what you're talking about. And of course, if you have an open dialog with the seller, you can ask them how they typically ship to the U.S.

I don't know that much about how international payments work aside from wire transfers and so forth, but a lot of it is done using invoices and short term credit, which can be either secured or unsecured. Seeing how you do not represent a corporation, they will probably be reluctant to do any credit-based business with you for the first few orders and might not want to deal with you (or maybe they'll accept wire transfers or even PayPal). But if you call up any bank, they can tell you if they can provide you with the necessary documents and/or services, which are documented on Alibaba. There are some escrow services recommended by Alibaba; I'd probably use one of those for the first order if a large amount of money were involved, although it's probably not worth it for 25 kg at 1.45 per kg.

Elemental Phosphorus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-5-2017 at 04:36

I contacted the seller, since I was under the impression that the buyer had to organize shipping from China. Anyhow, I am awaiting a reply from the seller. I think the best way to avoid getting scammed by the seller would be to use PayPal goods and services, right? I am only looking for a few kgs, so I'd like to have demand for at least 10-15 kgs before I go through with the order. I can't guarantee I can get the sulfanilic acid to you for 1.45 a kilogram, because of shipping and shipping to you within the US. But, I will try to get it to you as cheaply as possible. I will post an update when the seller replies.

Edit: So far there is demand for 3kg.

[Edited on 5-5-2017 by Elemental Phosphorus]
carrant
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-5-2017 at 09:37

I would be interested in at least 2kg.
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-5-2017 at 10:44

Interested to see how this goes. That site always looked extremely shady to me.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-5-2017 at 14:48

Alibaba has a glossary on international payments and shipping here: https://service.alibaba.com/buyer/faq_list/11102334.htm

Oh and for under 45 kg, you can probably use FedEx or UPS.

[Edited on 5-5-2017 by JJay]

Elemental Phosphorus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-5-2017 at 12:15

Okay, so I still am unsure of the shipping process on alibaba. The seller gave a brief reply, still leaving me wondering. I did get a reply, but not informative. If I have to organize the shipping to the US, this will be a considerably more difficult purchase. I will go ahead with it if there is 10kg wanted by people.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-5-2017 at 15:55

There's a form here that will let you calculate shipping costs: https://logistics.alibaba.com/buyer.htm

FedEx and UPS are under "Express."

If anyone wants a kilogram, it's time to speak up.

TheNerdyFarmer
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-5-2017 at 17:02

I am most likely interested in 1kilo of this stuff. Mostly depending on what the shipping cost is.
Elemental Phosphorus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-5-2017 at 17:08

Express shipping to the US is outrageous. (Over $1000) for 25kg of material, and I am not finding a workable solution to sea freight to a port I could get it at. I will try to find a sea freight option. If I am unable, I'll have to let it go.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-5-2017 at 17:12

Huh? FedEx will carry 25 kilograms in a 30x30x30 cm package in 3-8 days from China for just under $140.

Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 7-5-2017 at 18:52

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
Huh? FedEx will carry 25 kilograms in a 30x30x30 cm package in 3-8 days from China for just under $140.

Chinese sellers will charge whatever they feel like charging for shipping, depending on how much they want a sale. In this case, the indication is that they don't want it at all, probably because it would be quite a bit of hassle for them. Better to arrange shipping through some local importer, I think. Call around; your best bet is probably one with a Chinese name and bad English. It takes one to know one.
Elemental Phosphorus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-5-2017 at 03:58

Okay, so on the shipping calculator I got $140, I had miscalculated the volume since the units for sea freight and express are different. I asked the seller about shipping to the US and we'll see if they want $140 for it. At that rate, it's too early to tell what the price of 1kg will be. Total order value seems to be close to $200. At that rate, I can sell a kilogram for about $9 plus shipping to your location.
Amos
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-5-2017 at 04:52

I'll take a kilo
Elemental Phosphorus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-5-2017 at 07:16

Sorry guys, but when I announced to the seller I only wanted 25kg, he stopped replying to me. I figure it is probably not worth their time for just one bag. The total order would be close to 200, but at $1.45 per kg, it's not probably worth their time to sell just one bag, individually ship it, etc.
JJay
International Hazard

sad.gif posted on 18-5-2017 at 07:33

Oh, well.

I think that overseas suppliers do monitor this forum and try to list things that they see hobbyists might want on eBay.

Amos
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-5-2017 at 08:28

I appreciate your industriousness and effort, though. If you come up with any other bulk buy ideas like this you can count me in in the future if the prices are even nearly as good as this.

Go To Top