Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: chlorate/nitrate test
condennnsa
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-5-2017 at 00:35
chlorate/nitrate test

I have 1kg of an unlabeled salt that I know is either NaNO3 or NaClO3.
What are the ways i could test this? thanks
nezza
Hazard to Others

Mood: phosphorescent

[*] posted on 4-5-2017 at 01:21

Dissolve some of the unknown in water and add potassium chloride solution. (May need to be moderately concentrated). A crystalline precipitate should form if the material is potassium chlorate as potassium chlorate is only sparingly soluble in water. Potassium nitrate will not precipitate out. Alternatively if you have concentrated sulphuric acid add 1 or 2 DROPS only to a small (20mg or so) sample of the solid and warm. A series of sharp cracking sounds indicates the presence of chlorate as chlorine dioxide will be produced which explodes immediately. With nitrate brown NO2 fumes will be evolved.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
Dmishin
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-5-2017 at 07:51

For example, make NaOH solution, add some salt then drop some aluminium. Nitrate would be reduced to NH3, that can be detected by smell or with indicator.

Or just crystallize a small portion of the salt solution and look at it with good magnification. Chlorate gives cubic crystals, while nitrate crystals are rhombic.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 4-5-2017 at 10:25

Mix a SMALL pinch with Sulfur. Put on steel surface. Tap with hammer... ignition or explosion = chlorate.

Mix a little bit with powdered sugar. Put a small drop of concentrated H2SO4 on the pile, without any body parts too close to the chemicals, in a location where a fire would be safe... ignition = chlorate.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Go To Top