Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Preserving Chemistry Channels
Volitox Ignis
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-5-2017 at 17:57
Preserving Chemistry Channels

I was watching some chemistry channels on Youtube, Nile Red and Nurdrage in particular, and some of them have stated that some of their videos have either been taken down by Youtube, had to have been made private to avoid being taken down, or been made unlisted for the same reason. At some of Nile Red's videos have met one of those fates, and Nurdrage has said that some of his videos have too. One of Nurdrage's videos that have been taken down is the "Make potassium metal (Catalyzed Magnesium Reduction)" one. I looked for them on the Internet Archive, but looking through all the Youtube crawls takes time.

So I got an idea, couldn't the Sciencemadness website have a new section for chemistry videos to which interesting videos could be uploaded, like it has with books?
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 6-5-2017 at 18:32

I thought that Nurdrage removed the potassium video of his own volition anticipating that it might be problematic. I have seen it reposted by another youtuber.

I have downloaded a few videos that I think are too important to lose and that I think might attract the axe. A bit of insurance if you will. For example, I have a nice little series on production of white phosphorus.

As for your suggestion, it will depend to some extent on the available server space and also on the increased demands to keep the site backed up. That will not be trivial.

I think the idea is a good one and the way forward would be to open a private discussion with Polverone to see what the constraints are. It might be that the better option is to organise hosting on a different server with a link back here -- similar to the SynthSource attempt.
Volitox Ignis
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 6-5-2017 at 18:58

Whether or not the videos got taken down by the creators themselves, these are still videos that are interesting but are in danger of getting taken down.

Some videos might not seem to be in too much danger but can still get taken down, or might be posted a while ago, and we don't notice when it does get taken down for whatever reason. This is why I think it is best to preserve the entire channel's videos in bulk,rather than some.

Yeah, talking to the person that runs the site is good, I think it would be good if the discussion was public though. But that's just my opinion.

[Edited on 7-5-2017 by Volitox Ignis]
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

[*] posted on 6-5-2017 at 19:15

If there was a back up for those videos ot would not need that much space due to not many YouTubers that does chemistry on youtube or make chemical synthesis videos
Although nurdrage has a vid.me account where he put some videos

[Edited on 7-5-2017 by symboom]
Volitox Ignis
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 6-5-2017 at 19:50

Quote: Originally posted by symboom  
If there was a back up for those videos it would not need that much space due to not many YouTubers that does chemistry on youtube or make chemical synthesis videos
Although nurdrage has a vid.me account where he put some videos

[Edited on 7-5-2017 by symboom]

The entirety of Nile Red's channel, plus 4 videos that were taken down/made private/unlisted that I could scavenge, takes up 11.8 Gigabytes. That is 192 videos. Nurdrage's channel has a bit over 210, and ChemPlayer has a little over 170. I would say that the three major channels would take up around 40 Gigabytes.
Wonder how much space the entire forum takes up, for comparison.

j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 6-5-2017 at 20:07

You forget Doug's Lab. IMO, these are the top four. But there is some great material in other channels too. Judging by the contributions to the threads on chemistry vids there is a considerable quantity out there. And, all going well, there will be an increasing amount to archive. I suspect 40 gig will be way too small to do a good job.

One possibility would be to go straight to the source -- ask the creators if they would be happy to archive their material here. Once a space and system has been set up it might be simpler for them to drag and drop the videos themselves rather than ripping YT.
Volitox Ignis
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 6-5-2017 at 21:15

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
You forget Doug's Lab. IMO, these are the top four. But there is some great material in other channels too. Judging by the contributions to the threads on chemistry vids there is a considerable quantity out there. And, all going well, there will be an increasing amount to archive. I suspect 40 gig will be way too small to do a good job.

One possibility would be to go straight to the source -- ask the creators if they would be happy to archive their material here. Once a space and system has been set up it might be simpler for them to drag and drop the videos themselves rather than ripping YT.

Haven't watched that channel up until now. It's does have great videos, but it is also much smaller and thus takes up less space.I won't deny that other channels also have good videos, but I think they also have way less videos and would thus take up less space. 40GB would be just enough for the three channels I have listed (Although, maybe not, it was just a rough estimate) as of right now, but it could be a start.

A system where the creators themselves upload videos would still need space,and not all of the videos at risk may get uploaded.
Edit: Just now realized how much all the smaller channels that I looked up on the forum can add up to. Yeah, you are probably right about 40GB being too little, I have to agree.

Cryolite.
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-5-2017 at 23:10

I have those four youtubers plus some others backed up already. God bless youtube-dl!

On a side note, the virtual image Polverone updates for this forum is about 11 GB iirc.

If anyone can combine a list of good chemistry channels to back up, that would be helpful.

j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 6-5-2017 at 23:24

Quote: Originally posted by Cryolite.  

If anyone can combine a list of good chemistry channels to back up, that would be helpful.

Already being done -- well, discussed anyway. No one is being systematic here: no one has taken on that job. But the information is there for the taking.

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=73...
Particularly this post:
https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=73...

I have also encouraged people to scavenge off my YT channel list. It started as a compilation of good experimental chemistry channels and has mostly stayed that. https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=73...
Volitox Ignis
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 6-5-2017 at 23:40

I have downloaded all the videos, plus four others, from Nile Red's channel using Youtube Multi Downloader and Internet Download Manager, and have them nicely organized in a folder and numbered. I'll look over the threads and start bulk-downloading channels tomorrow (or today for you,depending on your timezone).
chemplayer...
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-5-2017 at 09:39

We wouldn't have a problem posting historical videos to an 'official' SM back-up location (not sure about other channels as they may be angling for view based monetisation).

How much does 100Gb of lower-level tier storage on AWS cost these days, plus likely network traffic fees? It's not going to be much...

Watch some vintage ChemPlayer: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/chemplayer/
Vosoryx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Serial Apple Enjoyer

[*] posted on 24-9-2017 at 18:47

Im not sure how many people knew of the austrailian youtube chemist known as "explosions and fire", as he only had ~8000 subscribers, but his chanbel was taken down a few weeks ago and he just lost all appeals.
We've heard nurdrage, as well as others, complaining about the stifiling of theirchannel, but yt actually took down a channel that did, in my opinion, make chemistry very informative and funny. I thought that yt would take down videos, but never a whole channel, with over 8k people subscribed.
In my opinion, moving to another site would be a hassle... coordinating dozens of channels to one site, while keeping their ad revenue (or whatever is left of it) would be next to impossible, but staying on yt where they kick off informative and entertaining channels is also pretty messed up. Whose favourite chem channel will they take down next? I know they've had their eye on NurdRage for a while now...
ninhydric1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bleached

[*] posted on 24-9-2017 at 19:42

Really? I've never subscribed to explosions and fire, but I did watch a few of his videos. Some pretty exotic syntheses he did, but nevertheless, he made chemistry feel "closer to home" as I would call it. I wish YouTube didn't have such as strong chemophobic mindset.

I hope some people have saved his videos.

[Edited on 9-25-2017 by ninhydric1]

The philosophy of one century is the common sense of the next.
Vosoryx
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-9-2017 at 19:45

He's still active on his second channel.

He was also apparently a pretty active Sciencemadness user too, I often saw a tab open to SciMad in his browser when he panned over his computer screen.

I too wish that youtube wasn't as chemo phobic.
Cryolite.
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-9-2017 at 23:11

His scimad username is Tdep. I have most of his videos saved-- the only ones I'm missing are the more recent ones posted over the summer.
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

[*] posted on 24-9-2017 at 23:14

Some channels are being taken down explosions and fire isnt there on youtube anymore the more recent Lls videos have been removed to bad we dont have a video hosting site for chemistry. Videos take up massive about of bandwidth an idea I was thinking would be creating gif pictures that have a summary of the video may have less. Vid.me is the latest video hosting site to be similar to youtube.

The only way I can see is encourage the channel authors to post videos on many video hosing sites that way it will be out there

Take nurdrage for example he put his synthesis of cyanide on video on vid.me because youtube removed it. Now I see his videos on wonderhowto.com
Instructables.com. Vid.me. And Dailymotion.com which is good ig one goes down there are others.

Tdep
National Hazard

Mood: PhD is done! It isn't good but it's over lol

[*] posted on 28-9-2017 at 19:19

Quote: Originally posted by Vosoryx  

He was also apparently a pretty active Sciencemadness user too, I often saw a tab open to SciMad in his browser when he panned over his computer screen.

I am here everyday, I just forget to reply to threads. Even when people name drop me... I also don't seem to have much to say, I don't know why I don't reply to many threads, but this is my favourite website.

Yeah, is a shame to lose the channel. Thanks to all the people helping me recover the videos, i'm still going through hard-drives and such to find if I have all the copies, will let people know if I'm short of any of them.
Dornier335A also lost his channel when I did. Many of you would know his videos, his work on the tetrazoles was particularly outstanding and I know we all thought that. I'm already on vimeo and will likely get around to being on Vid.me too, not sure if Dornier will do the same.
Vosoryx
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-9-2017 at 20:42

If youtube insists on kicking chem channels off, the very least we could do is arrange one other site where we go to, instead of having a separate site for every channel. Maybe go to where NurdRage puts all the videos youtube deems "Too dangerous".
If you have access to them all, I would certainly suggest uploading the videos to another site. All that information going to waste would be painful for me, and probably others.

Oh, and being quoted by you was like being individually noticed by one of your idols, because it was.
Yes, I idolize youtube chemists... and no, I don't have many friends. :)

~Vos
Vosoryx
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-11-2017 at 16:52

...Aaand they put two strikes on Cody'slab.
Come on youtube, seriously?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXT5T9MH7cI

Their beef was apparently with the microwaving fruit flies video (They/he took the video down, hence why it's not available on his channel. Perhaps someone has a mirror?), even though the video was showing that fruit flies aren't harmed in a microwave! I'm honestly expecting Nilered's DDT video to vanish in a few days. (It's harming bugs, just like the Cody'slab one)

Youtube: People will get offended by something. They all will. If you took down every possible offensive video on the site, you'd have an amazing video sharing website with NO VIDEOS. Deal with it.

~Vos

[Edited on 7-11-2017 by Vosoryx]
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 6-11-2017 at 17:48

The irony is that if he had merely sprayed the flies with commercial fly spray or even squished them in his fingers, no one would have minded.
But in this video he was able to demonstrate and justify scientifically that the flies would suffer no harm and he released them afterwards. Someone did not watch it to the end.

I watched a video on a different channel where it was demonstrated that flies could not fly in a vacuum chamber? Does that one get removed too? Removal of oxygen necessary for respiration arguable causes them more harm than a minute or so of microwaves.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-11-2017 at 17:52

YouTube took down Elch Science. I have no idea why. It seemed to have a lot of promise.

Vosoryx
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-11-2017 at 18:58

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
YouTube took down Elch Science. I have no idea why. It seemed to have a lot of promise.

I have never heard of that channel, which is a shame it got taken down before i even knew it existed. :/

The rules youtube is following seem to basically be arbitrary at this point. I occasionally think it might be worthwile to point out exceptions to videos they've taken down, but i'm worried that yt might then take down THOSE videos.
Example: why is Cody'slab's video that doesnt harm bugs taken down, but NileRed's that does kill bugs is still up?
Saying that to yt, if anything, would just get NR'S vid removed...

It almost feels to me like i'm powerless here.

Boffis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-1-2018 at 06:30

Can anyone recommend a free YT video downloader? I used to have one on my old laptop but I can't remember the name of it and I can't find one online without ending up on web sites that try to download a load of junk too.

Has anyone come across rgivideodownloader? It downloaded OK but there was a pop-ups saying the sites certificates were not in order /recognised. Whatever that means so I haven't opened it yet.

[Edited on 9-1-2018 by Boffis]

OK found it! Its 4K downloader

[Edited on 10-1-2018 by Boffis]
ThalliumHydroxide
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 20:32

Man has anyone heard of that college chemistry channel? I heard he's super hot irl :P

This one is pretty well regarded but I don't use it https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/video-downloader-p...
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 4-2-2018 at 15:19

So, Cody is now in non-posting limbo on his main channel. He says he isn't worried but he seems rattled. The vid that got flagged is several years old: the one where he explains how to convert urine to gunpowder. You know, pee on straw and leave the bacteria to have their way for a year. Content-wise it is identical to a BBC documentary I once saw. Totally innocuous. And in any case there are thousands of black powder videos out there.
He feels singled out. Actually I think it is non-scholastic chemistry tgat is being singled out. If you wear a lab coat in a lecture theatre and discuss theory you are probably ok. If you experiment at home then you get pinged for anything less than four degrees of separation away from anything energetic or drug related. Exception: if your name is Jackass and you have no knowledge and you accidentally burn your deck-chair playing with pool chemicals and brake fluid, then yt probaby thinks you are ok.

Maybe it is time to revisit the video hosting idea. I'd prefer to splash some cash in that direction than bolster someone's Patreon account.

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top