Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Obtaining Potassium Nitrate
raistlin
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-7-2002 at 09:31
Obtaining Potassium Nitrate

Where can I obtain a reasonable ammount of potassium nitrate, or is it possible to remoce it from something like a household cleaning product and how could I go about exrtacting it?

Raistlin
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 8-7-2002 at 11:09

One household product that is often potassium nitrate is powdered stump remover. Look at gardening centers to find it. You probably won't find it at chain stores - though you might get lucky. Look at nurseries, hydroponics suppliers, and agricultural suppliers. If you can find a hydroponics supplier they will probably have pure potassium nitrate sold as such, plus a variety of other interesting chemicals.

I have seen potassium nitrate ("saltpeter") sold in small bottles at a variety of drugstores. This is a pretty expensive way to get it, although it will be very pure. It's enough for some smaller experiments if you can't find any better source. It is in fact how I first obtained KNO3 before I got a sack of fertilizer.

If you can find a good agricultural supplier you can get calcium, sodium, potassium, and ammonium nitrates at very low prices, like $15 for 50 pounds of potassium nitrate or 80 pounds of ammonium nitrate.

Look under materials -> dry chemicals at www.clayartcenter.com for another relatively inexpensive source of KNO3. www.pyrotek.org is another decent source, although their prices are higher, since they don't do any age verification and accept Paypal.
Ramiel
Vicious like a ferret

Mood: Semi-demented

[*] posted on 5-9-2002 at 00:46

I also got my potassium nitrate from a farming type store. They call themselves "produce wholesalers". AUS$2 per Kilogram, which is about US$1 per 2.5 ounces
trinitrotoluene
Hazard to Others

Mood: paranoid

[*] posted on 18-10-2002 at 11:15

I got my Potassium Nitrate at the pharmacy. Its under the name Saltpeter. Maybe not the best place to buy it because it cost $2.75 for a 4 once bottle

TNT
NERV
Hazard to Others

Mood: Fluorinated

[*] posted on 18-10-2002 at 12:02
KNO3

I get my KNO3 from home depot. Just ask one of the guys where they keep the stump remover. The kind I get comes in a gray bottle with a little nozzle to pour it. It is simply named stump remover.
NERV
Hazard to Others

Mood: Fluorinated

[*] posted on 18-10-2002 at 12:05
Uggggggg...

stupid thing wont let me edit.

well anyway I forgot to add that it cost about 3 dollars.
trinitrotoluene
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-11-2002 at 16:26

Thanks now i will get my KNO3 from stump removers. I cant beleave ive been wasting so much money buying KNO3 from the pharmacy.

TNT
trinitrotoluene
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-11-2002 at 17:27

I've also did a couple of experenments to extract KNO3 from the soil.Bloody anarchist cookbook my yeald was about a few grams and it was badly contaminated. Now I obtain my KNO3 in fertilizers. The name is called Nitrate Of Potash I think. It is sold at ACE hardware in boxes.

TNT
alien14305
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-11-2002 at 19:43
interesting

Called nitrate of potash? I think there is an ace hardware in my town, gonna look it up in my phonebook to see.
Rhadon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-12-2002 at 06:53

I tried hard to find out what "stump remover" means in German, but I wasn't able to translate it. Can someone please describe what "stump remover" does?
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 1-12-2002 at 13:26

"Stump remover" accelerates the destruction of tree stumps by providing a lot of nitrogen for the bacteria living in the wood. More nutrients lead to more bacteria and therefore more rapid decomposition of the stump by bacterial metabolism.
Rhadon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-12-2002 at 14:28

Ahh, now I understand. I thought that this could be the meaning of "stump remover" but I couldn't imagine how KNO3 can "remove" a stump. Thank you!
Syanide
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-12-2002 at 21:13
Pickled Meat

KNO3 can be found in pharmacies or food stores as saltpetre, it is used to pickle meat. What is pickled meat? i have no idea but that's what it says on the bottle. :)
BASF
Hazard to Others

Mood: hydrophilic

[*] posted on 12-12-2002 at 05:44

Another way, for those who need to do sth with the rest of a 50kg-fertilizer-sack:
;)

K2CO3(pot ash)+2NH4NO3>(more than 50°C, few water)2KNO3+2NH3+CO2+H2O
DeusExMachina
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-12-2002 at 15:02

I didnt read all the posts so I dont know if someone said this or not but stump remover has potassium nitrate in it, it is a preservative or, you can just order it from pyrotek.
trinitrotoluene
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-12-2002 at 20:49

Well yesterday I had went to the local ace hardware and brougt some stump remover. The brand is called GRANT'S Stump Remover. It comes in 1 lb or 454 gram bottles. It is potassium nitrate but i notice something strange with the smell it smells like urea. So i advise you that brand is not that pure KNO3 so dont buy that brand. I will buy more different brand to see and test the purity.

TNT
Phyte
Harmless

sad.gif posted on 3-2-2003 at 14:28

Anyone know where to obtain kno3 from the UK?

I have found various plant fertilisers but I dont know if it is the right stuff and i need it in solid form

Anyone know what the 3 numbers are of kno3 that are listed on the front?

Nitrogen (N), Phosphorus (P), and Potassium (K).

NN-PP-KK
eg 20-20-20
-phyte
AngelEyes
Hazard to Others

Mood: Better than it used to be.

[*] posted on 4-2-2003 at 04:28

I don't know where to get KNO3 in the UK, but I can find NaNO3 in my local DIY place. It's a little village one and has lots of unusual stuff you don't find in somewhere like Homebase. NaNO3 is almost as good as KNO3...but more hygroscopic so it needs to be well dried. You can also find conc H2SO4 as drain cleaner, almost pure sulphur as dusting powder for gardens, NaClO3 as weedkiller (only 53% though). You can distill H2SO4 and NaNO3 to get Nitric Acid. Also, there are some interesting copmpounds that can be made with 30 volume Hydrogen Peroxide from any chemist. Search for HMTD or Acetone Peroxide, but be careful as organic peroxides are very sensitive.

Hope that's useful.
DeusExMachina
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-2-2003 at 09:59

that's great then... if you really need KNO3 maybe you can go to another town or something and get some. Also, if by chance you cant make HNO3, you can go to a jeweler and buy some as gold tester (I havn't done this because I'm going make it soon. I also havn't been able to do it because I havn't had the chance to go to the hardware store yet by myself.)

DeusExMachina
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-2-2003 at 21:00

sorry fot double postign but I would like to know what type of a container grant's stump remover comes in so I kknow what to look for at the store (I'd rather avoid asking someone at the store to help me find it)

trinitrotoluene
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-2-2003 at 17:01

A plastic container. The color is white and the plastic is made of HDPE (high density polyethylene).

TNT
Haggis
Hazard to Others

Mood: Lacrymating

[*] posted on 20-2-2003 at 20:26

This might give you guys an idea of what stump remover is like. http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/prdSell_1.asp?ProdGroupID...
I have never purchased stump remover for Potassium Nitrate so I have no suggestions there. This stuff is quite expensive, 9 dollars for 227 grams of the stuff.
Edit: Spelling

[Edited on 21-2-2003 by Haggis]
DDTea
National Hazard

Mood: Degenerate

[*] posted on 26-2-2003 at 00:02

I don't know about you all, but I've had considerable trouble finding KNO3. I tried the pharmacies, gardening stores, and hardware stores, but none carry it.

However, as someone mentioned earlier, reacting an aqueous base solution with aqueous NH4NO3 yields KNO3. This is the method I use now, since I can easily obtain NH4NO3 as well as Potassium Hydroxide. The only problem with this method is the nasty Ammonia Gas given off :( .
trinitrotoluene
Hazard to Others

thumbdown.gif posted on 1-3-2003 at 12:30
This stump remover dosen't work

I had brougt a stump remover called BONIDE Stump-Out. I only brought it because its 40 cents cheaper then the GRANTS stump remover.I decided to test it so I used the 60/40 smoke mixture. When heated with a stove the mixture woulden't melt. Getting frestrated at that I dumped 30 match heads into it and lit it, noting happand. So just a moment ago I decided to see what will happan if added to H2SO4. I took 40ml of H2SO4 and added 10 grams of the stump remever to it. It reacted and gave off nasty HCl gas. What I can understand from that was the stump remover what some sort of a chloride. I'm not sure what chloride it is, I also tried to do a flame test on it but my results are not conclusive. I will do farther do flame test to see what chloride it is.

TNT
blazter
Hazard to Self

sad.gif posted on 1-3-2003 at 12:46
not all stump removers work

a long time ago I tried to use a generic brand stump remover as a source of KNO3 and it didnt work at all. Doing a flame test gave a bright yellow flame which i assumed was sodium. It was totally inert in a sugar mix. The only thing that sticks out in my mind about it was the fact that it really ate up aluminum when it was in solution and the solution smelled REALLY bad knida sickly like puke. I ended up just pouring the crap on a stump in the backyard :mad:
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top