Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Magnetic stirrer hotplate free to a good home
Pupper
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-12-2017 at 20:58

Quote: Originally posted by Vosoryx  
Harristotle: Yeah i need to try it again to get enough, probably after christmas because of how busy I am. The Ammonium Carbonate is a serious problem, as I get afraid when doing large batches that the condenser will plug itself.

Pupper:
It takes looking to find the good ones. Sulphuic acid, for example, can be bought impure as SOME types of drain cleaner. Make sure it says sulphuric acid on it though.
There's a nice useful OTC list that works well as a starting place for beginners, here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_commonly_available_che...
As a last resort, though sometimes an expensive one, order online.

Sorry, I meant specifically in Australia. Here you can't buy sulfuric acid drain cleaner :(
Harristotle
Hazard to Others

Mood: I tink therefore I am

[*] posted on 18-12-2017 at 21:10

Drain Cleaner H2SO4 is almost impossible. I have seen it at Masters before they shut down.

However, you can be a bit creative, and in fact the lack of an ability to buy concentrated H2SO4 led me to an insight that increases the amount of H2SO4 chemistry my students can do.

Most of the time, when conc H2SO4 is required, you really need anhydrous H2SO4.

So for example, take vanillin staining. I add non-fuming pool acid H2SO4 (Clarke Rubber, 30%) to my ethanol, and then store for a couple of days over desiccated MgSO4. This hydrates, giving me the few percentage H2SO4 I need, in the anhydrous form needed. This is especially useful for esterification, when water promotes hydrolysis, and makes a lot of lab chemistry available to the lower years.

Your mileage may vary, but sometimes hardship is a good spur to creativity, and can lead to better ways of doing things more safely.

Having said that, I envy places where concentrated H2SO4 is OTC !
Pupper
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-12-2017 at 16:39

Quote: Originally posted by Harristotle  
Drain Cleaner H2SO4 is almost impossible. I have seen it at Masters before they shut down.

However, you can be a bit creative, and in fact the lack of an ability to buy concentrated H2SO4 led me to an insight that increases the amount of H2SO4 chemistry my students can do.

Most of the time, when conc H2SO4 is required, you really need anhydrous H2SO4.
Do you have the link? I can't find non fuming pool acid at Clark Rubber

So for example, take vanillin staining. I add non-fuming pool acid H2SO4 (Clarke Rubber, 30%) to my ethanol, and then store for a couple of days over desiccated MgSO4. This hydrates, giving me the few percentage H2SO4 I need, in the anhydrous form needed. This is especially useful for esterification, when water promotes hydrolysis, and makes a lot of lab chemistry available to the lower years.

Your mileage may vary, but sometimes hardship is a good spur to creativity, and can lead to better ways of doing things more safely.

Having said that, I envy places where concentrated H2SO4 is OTC !
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top